Confussed about net calories

Options
Hi everybody,

I read all the posts regarding this topic but I still don't understand it.

I log my food and my exercise from Garmin and I still don't know if I'm doing good or bad when I eat back my calories when I work out.

My BMR is around 1750kcal and TDEE 2100kcal.

The thing that confuses me the most is for example, on MFP the goal is 1600kcal and I exercise around 600 kcal (workout + steps). And it says that I have 2200kcal and on that day I eat 1900 kcal. I feel very guilty for eating that much because is above my BMR and a little less than TDEE.

This is my net chart. Any help would be great.

Thank you.

dx7qk0cby69n.jpg

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    1750 isn't your BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate. Your BMR is the number of calories you need to stay alive in a coma or bedridden. 1750 is probably the number of calories you can eat to lose weight before exercise. Anything you do over that as far as exercise is added to calories you can eat. Most people start by eating about half of their exercise calories back and see how that goes for a month. If you aren't losing as expected, adjust.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    What are your settings in MFP: have you chosen a weight loss rate?
    And how did you get this number that your TDEE is 2100? Because it's highly unlikely that it is, if MFP is telling you to eat 2200 calories for weight loss.
    But I feel you might be confusing the TDEE method (including exercise calories in the calculation up front) and MFP's method (base calorie goal not including exercise, and exercise gets added on top).

I've always eaten all of the calories given to me by MFP synced with my Garmin. I lost weight just fine, I actually lost faster than expected.

The best thing you can do is stick with a strategy (for example, eating all of your allotted calories or eating half of your exercise calories) for one or two months or menstrual cycles and see if you're losing weight at your selected weight loss rate in MFP. If you're losing faster, you can increase your calories. If you're losing more slowly you can decrease your calorie intake.

PS: feeling guilty? Not a productive emotion, just feels unpleasant 😉 think of it as a little science experiment, to see what works for you.
  • Denkamanekenka
    Denkamanekenka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    1750 isn't your BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate. Your BMR is the number of calories you need to stay alive in a coma or bedridden. 1750 is probably the number of calories you can eat to lose weight before exercise. Anything you do over that as far as exercise is added to calories you can eat. Most people start by eating about half of their exercise calories back and see how that goes for a month. If you aren't losing as expected, adjust.

Thank you very much!
  • Denkamanekenka
    Denkamanekenka Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    What are your settings in MFP: have you chosen a weight loss rate?
    And how did you get this number that your TDEE is 2100? Because it's highly unlikely that it is, if MFP is telling you to eat 2200 calories for weight loss.
    But I feel you might be confusing the TDEE method (including exercise calories in the calculation up front) and MFP's method (base calorie goal not including exercise, and exercise gets added on top).

I've always eaten all of the calories given to me by MFP synced with my Garmin. I lost weight just fine, I actually lost faster than expected.

The best thing you can do is stick with a strategy (for example, eating all of your allotted calories or eating half of your exercise calories) for one or two months or menstrual cycles and see if you're losing weight at your selected weight loss rate in MFP. If you're losing faster, you can increase your calories. If you're losing more slowly you can decrease your calorie intake.

PS: feeling guilty? Not a productive emotion, just feels unpleasant 😉 think of it as a little science experiment, to see what works for you.

Thank you soo much! In MFP the goal is to lose 0,75 kg per week. I got the same BMR and TDEE on a couple of different sites (I am 30y,173cm and around 98kg). I think the main problem is my impatience and I want to do things perfectly, but the journey of weight loss is everything but that. I also think that in the past I lost weight, but not in a healthy way, and now when I'm trying to lose weight, if I don't see a smaller number on the scale in a couple of days, I automatically think that I'm doing something wrong, but instead I just need to give it more time and do the best I can.

PS: My science experiment!That's a great idea! I'll do that :smiley::smiley::smiley: