My weight workout: opinions, please.

Options
Hi MFP-ers,

Here's the workout I do on my weight-lifting days. I think it's fairly comprehensive. Any suggestions for something I should add or change to hit something I may be missing? Keep in mind that I'd like to keep it at around eight exercises due to time issues:

Seated chest press
Seated rows
Seated shoulder press
Seated leg press
Lower-back extensions
Seated lat pulldowns
Seated tricep extensions
Seated biceps curls

(Wow. That's a lotta "seated" stuff.)

I'd like to hit my calves, too, but the calf machine they have at the gym requires you to stand under a couple of shoulder pads, supporting the weight that way, then alternating between going up on your toes and dipping your heels way down. It's a great calf exercise, but because of the bulging disc in my lower back, I don't wanna put that kinda weight on my shoulders (compressing the spine and the disc).

I also don't have abs covered, but I do crunches on other days and will soon be starting a Pilates class.

So...am I overlooking something?

Thanks very much!

Replies

• adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    how many times a week?
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    At least twice a week, usually three times. Three sets of each exercise.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming these are all machines. You might consider throwing in some free weight stuff just to work on stabilizers as well if you can handle it.

If you don't have a seated calf raise machine, then you could use the seated leg press or a 45 degree leg press and put the balls of your feet on the bottom of it, and do calf extensions with that.

EDIT: That's actually what I'm doing in my profile picture, using a 45 degree leg press machine.
  • sandrawmorris
    sandrawmorris Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are working all of your major muscle groups at one time. I was always taught to work one or two muscle groups at a time and to skip a day between heavy weight training. For your calf exercises, you can use the seated leg press. Simply keep the machine locked and do the presses with your toes keeping your legs straight. That will work your calves. Good luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My opinion would be to try breaking it up a bit so you can do more sets on each muscle group. As an example do chest shoulders and triceps one day and Back biceps and legs another. And do each a minimum of once a week. This way you can double the load on each muscle group and what makes muscle grow (load followed by rest with proper nutrition, lots of protein)

I would also suggest swapping squats or lunges for the seated leg press as you will work more muscles doing those exercise instead. For the tricep and bicep exercises, try them standing and engage your core more.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a seated calf raise machine, then you could use the seated leg press or a 45 degree leg press and put the balls of your feet on the bottom of it, and do calf extensions with that.

Thanks for that ideas! Yeah, a seated calf-raise machine wouldn't compress my spine like the standing one would. And I'm sure they've got one in the free-weights area. Gonna look for that tomorrow. If not, using the leg press would get the job done. Much appreciated!

That's why I posted this. Some of this stuff is pretty obvious to people who lift more than I do, and it's no surprise that I'm overlooking some simple solutions.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    I knew a couple of guys with back problems that would just hold dumbbells and do calf raises instead of using that machine you are talking about.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I agree with the few weight suggestions. Alternate DB chest press, DB incline bicep curls, DB incline chest press are a few. Also kickbacks for triceps. And with the lat pull down machine you could do a reverse grip pull down superset with your lat pull down.

For calves you could do the seated calf raise maybe? Put the free weight on your knee and then the same dip down concept?

Oh and there's also lunges and squats. Have you ever considered doing abs on an exercise ball or bosu ball? You get a wider range of motion and I feel like it works my abs more.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Leg Extensions.

Most guys don't do enough for their legs - they're always concerned about their upper bodies, but as a woman looking at men, I can say they should pay more attention to their legs. The top heavy look is not all that attractive -- who wants someone muscular and built up top, and then chicken legs? ;) Just sayin.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Leg Extensions.

Most guys don't do enough for their legs - they're always concerned about their upper bodies, but as a woman looking at men, I can say they should pay more attention to their legs. The top heavy look is not all that attractive -- who wants someone muscular and built up top, and then chicken legs? ;) Just sayin.

Leg extensions are not great exercises they only focus on a small portion of the leg, squats, lunges, dead lifts are much better.
  • maximkat
    maximkat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Personally I've seen some of my biggest gains doing squats. I love leg press, but squats have always seemed best for me and are really essential for lifting big in my point of view. Maybe some leg extensions or shrugs. Lunges are always super exhausting which means they are good ha.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of all in one workouts when it comes to weightlifting, and agree with erickirb, it's more preferable to split it up based on muscle groups.

For calves specifically, all you need something slightly raised off the floor, do one leg at a time holding a weight, so you are doing standing isolateral calf raises without much pressure on your spine. Here is a video of what I mean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN89Y7b_eoQ
  • maximkat
    maximkat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    plus i see a lot of back and chest exercises there, i've always seen shoulder press as just a bonus on those "extra" days seeing as they are really getting worked doing all of that anyways. so that might be one you can drop in place of another heavy leg exercise like squats.

edit - and i agree with others, i isolate muscle groups. i'll try to do legs/calfs, bi's/tri's, and chest/back etc. good luck.

edit 2 - shwiggity (hope i spelled it right, it's not showing me the other posts while i edit) makes a good point about stabalizer muscles as well, some people are shocked when they can't lift nearly as much after working on machine for so long and then grabbing up free weights and find they can't lift nearly as much.
  • shrekk218
    Options
    I actually started off with this and I have had really solid strength gains. Here is a good 3 day split working Mon, Wed, Fri or whatever works for you.

Legs
    • Leg Presses: 3 Sets x 12 Reps
    • Leg Curls: 2 Sets x 12 Reps
    • Standing Calf Raises: 2 Sets x 12 Reps (Calf raise on Leg press Machine

Chest/Shoulders
    • Flat Barbell Bench Presses:
    2 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Barbell Shoulder Presses:
    2 Sets x 10 Reps

Back
    • Front Pulldowns: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Barbell Rows: 2 Sets x 10 Reps

Arms
    • Barbell Curls:
    2 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Lying Tricep Extensions:
    2 Sets x 10 Reps
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, make sure your muscles are getting between 2-3 days rest. You might want to consider splitting upperbody and lower body into different work outs. If you are going to try and bulk up muscle wise, the 3 sets at each machine with moderate to heavy weight is the way to go. That's how I used to do it. But alternate in circuit training super sets. I do a chest exercise, walk over and immediately do a back. Then I do a shoulder, then a lat, bicep to tricep. Repeat. The minimal rests in between really gets me sweating and panting. I hate it and love it.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I would debate this and see my alternates in brackets if you like the 3 day breakdown here. a
    Here is a good 3 day split working Mon, Wed, Fri or whatever works for you.

Legs
    • Leg Presses: 3 Sets x 12 Reps (Squats 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps)
    • Leg Curls: 2 Sets x 12 Reps (Dead lifts 3-4 sets of 6-10 resp)
    • Standing Calf Raises: 2 Sets x 12 Reps Calf raise on Leg press Machine ( standing calve raises, 3-4 sets instead of 2)

Chest/Shoulders
    • Flat Barbell Bench Presses: ( I would suggest 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps)
    2 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Barbell Shoulder Presses: (I would use dumbbells 3-4 sets 8-10 reps)
    2 Sets x 10 Reps

Back
    • Front Pulldowns: 2 Sets x 10 Reps (do 3-4 sets (6-10 resp)
    • Barbell Rows: 2 Sets x 10 Reps (3-4 sets 6-10 reps)

Arms
    • Barbell Curls:
    2 Sets x 10 Reps (I would suggest dumbbells instead 3 sets 8-10 reps)
    2 Sets x 10 Reps (3 sets 8-10 reps)

other

• Ab Crunches: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
    • Aerobic Training: 20 minutes of low
    intensity aerobic
  • shrekk218
    Options
    I would debate this and see my alternates in brackets

Legs
    • Standing Calf Raises: 2 Sets x 12 Reps Calf raise on Leg press Machine ( standing calve raises, 3-4 sets instead of 2)

Chest/Shoulders
    2 Sets x 10 Reps
    2 Sets x 10 Reps

Back

Arms
    • Barbell Curls:

other

intensity aerobic
    If he has a herniated disk Squats are out also he said he has time issues. 2 sets are working sets 70% of ORM. You should always do 1 to 2 warmup sets prior to going heavy
  • erickirb
    Options
    I would debate this and see my alternates in brackets

Legs

Chest/Shoulders
    2 Sets x 10 Reps
    2 Sets x 10 Reps

Back

Arms
    • Barbell Curls:

other

intensity aerobic
    If he has a herniated disk Squats are out also he said he has time issues. 2 sets are working sets 70% of ORM. You should always do 1 to 2 warmup sets prior to going heavy

True, I missed that part