Day 1: Help setting up goals, nutrition etc for an anti inflammatory diet

Options
I need to get in shape, but I’m also starting an anti inflammatory diet. I could use advise and guidance on how to best set my goals, dashboard, etc to promote this needed lifestyle change.

Replies

• kermitch
    kermitch Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That’s an interesting topic and I hope to learn more on this, so following. I understand that flour and dairy for some can be problematic. I love the milk though and continue with that … great for calcium.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Have you determined an eating style? There are various guides to increasing anti-inflammatory foods, or to reducing inflammation (some of them more science based than others, gotta admit). I'm wondering if you have some guidance like that already in mind?

If you have some structured diet in mind already, you could simply start eating that, logging it, seeing where you end up, and tweaking either the eating pattern or your goals to optimize as you go along, based on how you feel, and what you learn.

My opinion (based on my experience) was that getting my weight to a healthy level, and working on getting good overall nutrition, seemed to take care of some possible symptoms I had of systemic inflammation. Are there particular symptoms you're trying to address, or diagnosed health conditions you're trying to improve?

For most people, the MFP default macro percents aren't a bad starting point, as long as the person isn't cutting calories too aggressively for their current circumstances. (Too-deep calorie cuts prevent getting adequate nutrition, because we really need certain absolute minimums, not just the right percentage of a too-small number.)

One possible strategy is to start by working toward the protein and fats minimums MFP suggests, as a starting point, alongside researching more detailed dietary strategies if you don't already have specifics in mind. Most sources suggest that getting plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits is also a good thing to reduce systemic inflammation.

Even exercise can make an anti-inflammatory contribution, with a bias toward keeping the challenge level manageable, rather than going into ultra-intense exhausting exercise regimens. Excessive intensity is a stressor (so is a big calorie deficit), and excess stress can promote systemic inflammation. That implies that general stress management techniques, and good quality/quantity sleep can play a role, too.

The issue is that that's a lot to take on all at once. If you don't have a current acute health condition you're trying to manage, it can be fine to start with one of these areas as a focus, and expand to others once the first one(s) get integrated into positive, sustainable habit patterns. If materially overweight, it can be a good first priority just to get calories on a course of moderate loss.

Best wishes!
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,688 Member
    Options
    kj94dt7hxj wrote: »
    I need to get in shape, but I’m also starting an anti inflammatory diet. I could use advise and guidance on how to best set my goals, dashboard, etc to promote this needed lifestyle change.

So, not many comments. (Thanks, @AnnPT77) Have you found other threads or info on here, or elsewhere?