Help please

Options
I have been given a goal of:
1630 calories (with 110g protein (27%), 70g fat (39%), 140g carbs (34%)) per day.

I am lost. I need help with a meal plan. Does anyone know where easy meal plans exist? I am not someone that can spend hours cooking. I feel so frustrated and defeated and I haven’t even started. This is why it’s easier to fast and just not eat. Please help.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    Why was it given to you and by whom? Maybe you should ask this person what you should eat. If they can't explain it then they should probably not hand out those kind of plans.

Seriously, I'm sure there's a thought behind the macros, but unless you have a medical condition, or your an elite sports person there's really no need to eat a specific macro split. What satiates you and makes you happy is totally individual. This might just not be for you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Is this what MFP has set for you? The calorie goal is where you're aiming to reach each days, and the macros are adjustable to your tastes and goals. Personally, I'm much happier at 40% protein and 30% each fat and carbs because I find carbs don't fill me up, and fat is tasty.

If this is what MFP has set (and not a plan set by somewhere else, and if it is, as yirara says they should either be able to give you a plan or explain why they can't) don't worry too much about the 5 for now, and just eat to your calorie goal and experiment with your cabs, protein and fat to see what works for you.
  • yirara
    Options
    Is this what MFP has set for you? The calorie goal is where you're aiming to reach each days, and the macros are adjustable to your tastes and goals. Personally, I'm much happier at 40% protein and 30% each fat and carbs because I find carbs don't fill me up, and fat is tasty.

If this is what MFP has set (and not a plan set by somewhere else, and if it is, as yirara says they should either be able to give you a plan or explain why they can't) don't worry too much about the 5 for now, and just eat to your calorie goal and experiment with your cabs, protein and fat to see what works for you.

Yea, this is not a standard MFP plan because they use 50/30/20 and not these high numbers for protein and fat. So it must be from someone. But we need more information in order to help. @BrieIsLosingIt
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Yea, this is not a standard MFP plan because they use 50/30/20 and not these high numbers for protein and fat. So it must be from someone. But we need more information in order to help. @BrieIsLosingIt

Oh yeah, you're right. Agreed then, if someone is going to give you specific macros, they should also be giving you guidance on meeting them.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I'll address the Food Plan part. I agree with the previous posts saying focus on calories for now if you aren't doing those macros for some medical reason.

Remember when you were a kid and your caretakers tried to get you to eat your vegetables? Still applies. :)

My major changes when losing weight were: #1. Get 20% of my calories from protein. That one is still a challenge for me, I'd far rather eat bread and cheese than focus on getting enough protein, and protein is really important. #2. To stay lower carb (which I also did by necessity on lowered calories) I cut out most wheat products. Cereal, crackers, pretzels, cake, cookies, pizza. I had to nearly eliminate them because it was too easy for me to over-eat those. I cut back to 1-2 servings of bread or pasta and/or other grains like oats, rice, or corn per day. Easy to do, and for me necessary if I wanted to stay close to my calories.

Other than that? I eat what I feel like eating. I do eat fat-containing foods like nuts, avocados, meat, fatty fish, eggs and 2% milk and yogurt. I have no problem getting enough fat...but I did cut back on the cheese. One serving per day of cheese or butter. I learned to make a third or a half-portion of cheese or butter sufficient in any given meal.

All of the above? I try to do that 80% of the time. There are days when I over-eat. Meals out, not planning ahead, special occasions, just wanting a pint of ice cream. I have the food, and get right back on plan the next day.

Meal plans are what you make them. No one is going to be able to "give" you a meal plan unless you pay them. It's not that easy. We know nothing about you. What I did was eat the food I like, log it, study my FOOD page like it was my job and learn from it. It's a process. If you are really motivated, Pre-Log the day's food. That's really helpful for portions and macros but macros, portions, and food combinations are learned along the way.

Good luck.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,560 Member
    Options
    It doesn't address the specific macros you are aiming for but if you want a healthy meal plan that is free to access you might want to check out Skinny Taste. I use a lot of her recipes or meal ideas and have cookbooks from her so I can vouch that they are tasty, mostly easy and healthy. I don't follow a real meal plan or watch macros really so this is all I've got to contribute. https://www.skinnytaste.com/meal-plans/

Since I'm diabetic I usually watch my overall calories, carbs, fiber, sugar and protein but even then I'm pretty flexible. If I go over one day I'll maybe keep it more even the next and just check my blood sugar as I feel needed throughout the week.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I have been given a goal of:
    1630 calories (with 110g protein (27%), 70g fat (39%), 140g carbs (34%)) per day.

I am lost. I need help with a meal plan. Does anyone know where easy meal plans exist? I am not someone that can spend hours cooking. I feel so frustrated and defeated and I haven’t even started. This is why it’s easier to fast and just not eat. Please help.

You're going to have pick and commit to something eventually. Considering it really doesn't matter too much how you split the macro's up, weight loss is similar, so don't sweat that for now. I will say that protein is important when losing weight so in that regard try to remember to be aware and make it more of a focus goal. Eating the way you normally do, then fasting to create a deficit, can be viable, and it could be alternate day fasting or what's called 5:2. Both of these allow for some caloric intake on the days your fasting, generally around 500. I suspect these were to make it easier for people to adhere to these methods, but you don't have to and I would say metabolically it's to someones advantage not too, but that's a moot point right now.

If you do decide to go down this path allow me to suggest that you on the days you're eating your normal meals, allow for a minimum of a 12hr gap from your last meal in the evening to your first meal in the morning. This allows for better insulin sensitivity which also helps in satiety and a few other metabolic improvements. Good luck. Cheers
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your FOOD page...I had the same issues with food in the beginning.

The sugary treats? Those are going to have to be limited if you are trying to lower your carbs and raise your protein. Hitting protein goals would be my biggest recommendation for you. I had the same problem...too much sugar, not enough chicken. :neutral:

It takes time. Try cutting back on desserts to start. It's not going to come naturally and it's going to take focus and commitment.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

{snip}

Meal plans are what you make them. No one is going to be able to "give" you a meal plan unless you pay them. It's not that easy. We know nothing about you. What I did was eat the food I like, log it, study my FOOD page like it was my job and learn from it. It's a process. If you are really motivated, Pre-Log the day's food. That's really helpful for portions and macros but macros, portions, and food combinations are learned along the way.

Good luck.

This. Just start logging. Be honest. After a week, look back over your food diary and determine where you can make changes that will help you toward your goals. Foods that were too calorific, or didn't keep you full long or whatever, switch out for something better suited toward your goals.

You don't have to be perfect from Day One. Just get started.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    Well, there's this, but I think custom macros may be a premium (not free) feature:

https://www.eatthismuch.com/

Or, get there gradually eating foods you like, with something like this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

(Truth in advertising: That one's similar to approaches others above recommended, maybe just a few more details.)

As you might guess, I did that second one. Worked great.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    You could also take a look at the MFP meal plans feature that's part of Premium MFP. (There's s video about it.) I haven't used it, but it reportedly includes a recipe suggestions component.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    It looks like your goal is low carb? If so, focus on lowering that macro and the others will fall in line fairly quickly - look at what you normally eat and ask "how can I reduce the net carbs in this?". Burger - take off the bun (big mac salads are delicious!). Spaghetti - meat and sauce over a veggie (I use cubed zucchini - no patience for zoodling over here) instead of pasta. Sandwich - lettuce wrap or salad. At the end of the week, evaluate what you've done and tweak if there's something you would like to do differently.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It looks like your goal is low carb? If so, focus on lowering that macro and the others will fall in line fairly quickly - look at what you normally eat and ask "how can I reduce the net carbs in this?". Burger - take off the bun (big mac salads are delicious!). Spaghetti - meat and sauce over a veggie (I use cubed zucchini - no patience for zoodling over here) instead of pasta. Sandwich - lettuce wrap or salad. At the end of the week, evaluate what you've done and tweak if there's something you would like to do differently.

Swedish meatballs over zucchini is one of my favorite meals. Easy and delicious!

Swedish sauce - 1 cup whole cream, 1 cup chicken broth, 3 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1.5 tsp rosemary. Cook over low/medium heat til thickened. I cheat and add premade meatballs and let them cook with the sauce. Throw over lightly steamed zucchini - so good!
  • BrieIsLosingIt
    BrieIsLosingIt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! To address the, “who gave you this macro split..?” I am in a program that assesses you and helps build lean muscle while slowly improving your body composition & weight.

I am addicted to chocolate and every night I believe tomorrow will be the day I stop chocolate. It’s frustrating. Throwing it out isn’t an option because of shared pantry/fridge.

The program - I believed they would have more specific meal plans to assist me to meet the macro goals (they said ignore calories, meet macros). Sadly that isn’t the case because participants are meant to learn to formulate their meals to suit their own lives so this lesson sticks with them. It’s difficult! And the person that said it didn’t have to be perfect from the start had such a great point. I’d prefer to be perfect at this, but I also know that if I don’t allow the small amounts of sweets then I will binge.

I’d say I improved this week but if you see my food logs, I have a long way to go.
  • yirara
    Options
    Have you considered that this macro split is not right for you? Sure, in order to lose weight calories are king. But if you feel happy and full depends on macros - and what works for you is not up to some plan but how your body works. If I were to eat at this macro split I'd be permanently hungry and eat All The Snacks I could get my hands on because high protein and fat just don't keep me full at all. Other people might be totally happy with this. Sure, you need enough protein to build muscle, but 110gr might be quite a lot, depending on your stats. Thus such a one size fits all plan sounds dubious to say the least.
  • keelsmarks
    keelsmarks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your macros and calories are pretty similar to mine and I can tell you that it’s a work in progress. For me, I figure out what foods I like and tend to eat them on repeat. Find high protein items that you enjoy and supplement with collagen or protein powder to meet your goal.
    I also note items that are high carb that don’t really fit onto my plan and try to avoid them or have them in moderation. Ie: hash browns! That said, I still have treats and build them into my macros. I small piece of chocolate every night is totally acceptable and brings too much joy to pass up. SMALL being key 😉. Good luck and it gets easier week over week 👍
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to chocolate and every night I believe tomorrow will be the day I stop chocolate. It’s frustrating. Throwing it out isn’t an option because of shared pantry/fridge.

I never stopped eating chocolate, but I've lost almost 35 pounds in part by controlling the AMOUNT of chocolate I do eat. I found it easiest to get the miniature individually-wrapped Hershey bars (picture the ones handed out at Halloween), each one is 42 calories. I freeze them, every night I need a chocolate fix I take out ONE or TWO, unwrap and enjoy. It's under 100 calories and good for the soul, lol. If you look at my food log you'll see I'm also addicted to chocolate ice cream lol, but only on days I was a good boy and hit the gym.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

But you don't have to buy it. And if the person you share the pantry/fridge with buys it, remind yourself that it's their chocolate, not yours.

• GlennMcMillan
    GlennMcMillan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The advice the members is extremely value. My Dr put me on an extreme keto diet due to a clogged artery to small for a stint. It is working like a champ. All I have to do is focus on the low carbs and it all falls into place. Even my energy levels have skyrocketed. The most interesting thing is my triglycerides dropped 30 points after three weeks. For the record, my macros are 10% carbs 35% protein and 55% fat. I also walk a minimum of 30 minutes a day.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    On chocolate … I am with the folks saying you can eat it in moderation. (Unless it triggers you to overeat). I have lost roughly 75 lbs. 40 before joining MFP, 35 since. And I STARTED eating chocolate regularly on MFP because I had the calories available and it was a nice way to close out the evening. One square of dark chocolate somehow signals the day is over and its time to start thinking about sweet dreams.