How long will this exercise induced headache last?

Options
I have been dealing with headaches for the past year with no unknown reason, can't figure it out sadly, doctors dont know, needless to say I am very headache prone. But its been manageable bc they usually go around 12-2pm on most days, but I notice even the tiniest bit of exercise (say running) gives me a headache. Its usually gone within hour, but this time even just 2 min of running incorporated into my daily walk, gave me nonstop headache for about a week now. The only day the headache went away was yesterday, but then came back around 7:30 pm, now today its still here on the 7th day since I ran for a whopping 2 minutes. I knew that exercising would give me a headache but I didn't know that 2 min of running would give me a headache that won't go away even after one week. How long can I expect this? My doctor just said drink water and eat healthy, thats not working. And then said I can do CT scan or MRI if I want but I won't bc I dont want to get Covid again (it ruined my life, it could be the reason I am now headache prone to begin with) Has anyone had something similar?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    When I was in my thirties and forties I got horrible crippling migraines (diagnosed.) One of the sure-fire ways to bring one on was cardio.

I feel for you. I hope you find solutions. For me it was logging the migraines, trying to find my migraine triggers and getting medication - both prophylactic meds and rescue meds like Immitrex or Maxalt or other triptan-type meds.
  • njketterman
    njketterman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    See a dentist and a neurologist. Both might be able to help you find an answer.
  • Lilaeats22
    Lilaeats22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I was in my thirties and forties I got horrible crippling migraines (diagnosed.) One of the sure-fire ways to bring one on was cardio.

I feel for you. I hope you find solutions. For me it was logging the migraines, trying to find my migraine triggers and getting medication - both prophylactic meds and rescue meds like Immitrex or Maxalt or other triptan-type meds.

I don't think its a migraine though, I have no other migraine symptoms besides the awful headache. I've never had this happen before where everyday I wake up with a headache that won't go.. before my headaches start around 2 hours after waking and pass in a few hours, and gone for the day.. even though these would happen very often as well
  • cmriverside
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Dehydration and/or caffeine withdrawal can bring on headaches... ? Maybe make sure to drink enough before working out.

If it's a post covid development, you may have to just work around it until it improves.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Neck tension could be an issue and also how you breathe. Many people who exercise can have an automatic reaction of tensing up their neck as soon as they start and until they are finished. Sometimes breathing too shallow while your exercise can also bring on a headache due to lack of oxygen to muscles which bring it on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lilaeats22
    Options
    Dehydration and/or caffeine withdrawal can bring on headaches... ? Maybe make sure to drink enough before working out.

If it's a post covid development, you may have to just work around it until it improves.
    Covid was almost 2 years ago but I think it made me headache prone I notice I get headaches easily after Covid. I was able to go to the gym and run on treadmills, ellipticals before and now I am not able to. But this new thing one week ago is something brand new.. before if I tried some exercise yes I got a headache but it would go in an hour or so. I don't drink much caffeine either

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,347 Member
    Options
    Have you monitored your blood pressure during an attack? Do you get palpitations, sweating or shakes? High blood pressure can cause bad headaches and there appears to be some emerging research that covid can cause mini blood clots in some people, leading to transient increased blood pressure. Think it’s v rate but might be worth excluding that..
  • Lilaeats22
    Options
    Have you monitored your blood pressure during an attack? Do you get palpitations, sweating or shakes? High blood pressure can cause bad headaches and there appears to be some emerging research that covid can cause mini blood clots in some people, leading to transient increased blood pressure. Think it’s v rate but might be worth excluding that..

I've been seeing a lot about blood pressure, I haven't got it checked. I dont have any palpitations, sweating or shakes, I barely exercise so 2 min of running doesn't do anything to me but give me a headache. But I'm thinking about getting an at home blood pressure checker. Do you think blood pressure would increase when I have the headache? and I should compare to when I dont have it? It's pretty much on all day , everyday now so it will be hard to find a time to compare. Or are you thinking maybe the exercise just made it high and won't go back down? Thanks for the insight

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Lilaeats22 wrote: »
    I have been dealing with headaches for the past year with no unknown reason, can't figure it out sadly, doctors dont know, needless to say I am very headache prone. But its been manageable bc they usually go around 12-2pm on most days, but I notice even the tiniest bit of exercise (say running) gives me a headache. Its usually gone within hour, but this time even just 2 min of running incorporated into my daily walk, gave me nonstop headache for about a week now. The only day the headache went away was yesterday, but then came back around 7:30 pm, now today its still here on the 7th day since I ran for a whopping 2 minutes. I knew that exercising would give me a headache but I didn't know that 2 min of running would give me a headache that won't go away even after one week. How long can I expect this? My doctor just said drink water and eat healthy, thats not working. And then said I can do CT scan or MRI if I want but I won't bc I dont want to get Covid again (it ruined my life, it could be the reason I am now headache prone to begin with) Has anyone had something similar?

I'd say get the scan, as a starting point. It will rule out truly awful potential causes - major, life-threatening causes. (I've had multiple CTs and MRIs, including skull, including a full-torso CT early in the pandemic.)

Why do you think a scan materially risks getting Covid again? I get the risk of medical offices, but there are ways to limit risks there. With symptoms, not having a scan also presents risks. The scan itself seems likely to be a masked you and one masked tech in a biggish room, pretty low risk.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,347 Member
    Options
    Lilaeats22 wrote: »

I've been seeing a lot about blood pressure, I haven't got it checked. I dont have any palpitations, sweating or shakes, I barely exercise so 2 min of running doesn't do anything to me but give me a headache. But I'm thinking about getting an at home blood pressure checker. Do you think blood pressure would increase when I have the headache? and I should compare to when I dont have it? It's pretty much on all day , everyday now so it will be hard to find a time to compare. Or are you thinking maybe the exercise just made it high and won't go back down? Thanks for the insight

You can check your blood pressure in the morning and evening, and then maybe do the odd random test when you get a headache. General high pressure can cause headaches, but transient high pressure is more difficult to spot. I agree with Ann above - defo worth getting a scan too even if just to give you peace of mind.

• KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Propranolol is a blood pressure medication used to treat these types of headaches, they’re known as exertion headaches. There’s also indomethacin that can also be used as a preventative as well
  • cmriverside
    edited October 2022
    Options
    KL1887 wrote: »
    Propranolol is a blood pressure medication used to treat these types of headaches, they’re known as exertion headaches. There’s also indomethacin that can also be used as a preventative as well

Maybe.

I took propranolol in ever-increasing doses for years and still got exercise-induced migraines.

I know OP doesn't think it's migraines, but it's still not necessarily cured with propranolol, either. I mean all of us are guessing and she needs to find professionals to diagnose and treat.
  • Lilaeats22
    Options
    KL1887 wrote: »

Maybe.

I took propranolol in ever-increasing doses for years and still got exercise-induced migraines.

I know OP doesn't think it's migraines, but it's still not necessarily cured with propranolol, either. I mean all of us are guessing and she needs to find professionals to diagnose and treat.

Yes it is definitely not migraines so not sure what to take. I scheduled an appointment for next week via Telehealth with a neurologist, couldn't find anything sooner.. maybe they will recommend which medication is best to take. I researched a lot and found some say beta blockers or indomethacin .. will have to see. It's been almost 12 days now with these headaches. I wanted to try everything first to see if it works without going to CT Scan/MRI.
  • Slackpacker
    Slackpacker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How are your electrolytes? And how is your hydration? I can only speak from personal experience regarding exercise headaches. I'm good at staying hydrated - almost too good; and it throws my electrolytes out of whack (sodium, magnesium, calcium). I take an electrolyte supplement before I become active, especially on high-humidity days. It helps with the headaches. Hope this helps! And good luck!
  • Lilaeats22
    Options
    How are your electrolytes? And how is your hydration? I can only speak from personal experience regarding exercise headaches. I'm good at staying hydrated - almost too good; and it throws my electrolytes out of whack (sodium, magnesium, calcium). I take an electrolyte supplement before I become active, especially on high-humidity days. It helps with the headaches. Hope this helps! And good luck!

I'm not the best at drinking water but been trying to drink more. I don't take electrolyte packets bc I get headaches from the electrolyte packets you put in water.. but I take magnesium, multi vitamins with potassium, and I think my sodium is relatively high on my bloodwork. When you get the headaches, how long does it stay post exercise? Its been 2 weeks on and off ..but still here.. pretty much most of the day for 2 weeks straight, some hours it does go away which makes me think its not as serious/related to the brain