I am new here. Please Help

Options
Hello everyone. I want to make sure I am doing this right. I go to the gym 5 days a week. Should I put those calories burned on here and those are extra calories that I can eat each day??? Will I still lose weight by eating those extra calories?

Replies

• ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    yes thats what i do... some people dont eat them some people only eat half just do whats best for you, you will still lose weight either way :)
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I want to make sure I am doing this right. I go to the gym 5 days a week. Should I put those calories burned on here and those are extra calories that I can eat each day??? Will I still lose weight by eating those extra calories?
    Try it out both ways and see what work well for you. Some eat exercise calories some don't ,I personally do not
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If I eat all of mine back I don't lose weight. It's good to eat at least half back.. but like the person above me said. It depends on the person.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    izzyissy -

You should log your exercise here. and yes, you should eat back those extra calories. Yes, you still will lose weight. MFP already puts your calorie count for the day at a deficit so that you will lose weight.

If you exercise, then you are burning even more calories that what MFP says you do. If you do NOT eat back those calories, your body may not be getting the energy it requires to work properly and will start hoarding what you eat, slowing down your metabolism and storing every bit it can instead of burning fat. (also known as starvation mode).

I highly recommend you check out the getting started forums and read through some of the posts that are at the top. You will learn loads and feel better about moving forward and being successful at hitting your goals!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you should eat at least some of the exercise calories back to make sure you're netting at least 1,200 calories per day on average to avoid starvation mode.

of course, if you're relying on MFP or an exercise machine to tell you how many calories you burned, then you probably should cut that number in half because, more than likely, its too high.
  • omardragon
    Options
    try to stay under your calories goal. then add the exercises later so this way you won't over eat then add the protein shakes. i usually have one after. and if you eat your exercise back then what is the point. but if you do it 5 times a day then yes make sure you eat enough so your body won't starve and focus on complex carbs and protein
  • izzyissy
    izzyissy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try it one week eating them and one week not. Issy
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I try to eat half of mine back & that seems to work well. Log everything so you get the big picture. Even the condiments you put on a sandwich. They add up quicker than you think.