Planks question

Options
I would like to start doing planks. I see people say to do "sets" of them.

How many 30-second planks makes one set?
How many sets at a time would be optimal?
I understand that increasing the hold time of each plank is good.

I hate to exercise, but this seems like something I can do to improve core strength.

Thanks,

Female, 53, 119 lb now.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Do you mean planks and only planks? I guess that's fine. I don't think any particular rule has been established as to what are the optimal plank set is, but if you can already do one 30-second plank, you're off to a good start.

When I've done them, it's been as part of a core "suite" that includes a number of other ab exercises. In that, we just did one plank of 60 seconds (many people took a break to make it through).
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    There are a couple different apps specifically for planks that you can download on your phone. I use them regularly. They are progressive and teach all the different variations, which is important for progress.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    No reason to actually do more than a 2 minute plank if strengthening is your goal. Anything beyond 2 minutes is just endurance at that point and unless you're in a sport of job where you have to continually contract your abs to perform something, then going beyond 2 minutes doesn't improve the abs any more than what you've already done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png