best chest and shoulder weight exercises while managing rib cartilage injury

Options
Hello all.

A few weeks ago I injured my left rib cartilage from heavy incline leg press. Yep, the classic pop noise.

I am keen to continue at the gym. I have been able to modify my leg program so it doesnt flare up but I havent worked out a good program for chest and shoulders.

Last week I include barbell and dumbell presses for shoulders and chest and that absolutely aggravated the ribs.

Any got some good suggestions for chest and shoulders to manage the injury to recovery?

Rest will be my last resort as I am in the middle of a wedding prep cycle and I want to be my best for my daughters wedding.

Cheers

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Flyes and laterals. Don't go too heavy. Focus more on the contraction of each movement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I had that injury once. I don't recall it being all that painful, but it did take some time off to heal. Your rib cage is a part of your core and almost everything flexes it. Does it hurt when you walk, jog, do stationary bike, or elliptical? You could focus on cardio and take some time to lean out.

Do I need to recommend going to a PT? They will probably tell you to stay off it for a while!
  • jamespsykes
    jamespsykes Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    thanks for the feedback. it doesnt hurt all that much but jogging and the pressing movement does hurt quite a bit. Strangely it is most painful if I try and sleep on that side of my ribs.
  • jamespsykes
    jamespsykes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cheers ninerbuff....i was thinking about those exercises and maybe some cable crossovers for a little more chest activation?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    cheers ninerbuff....i was thinking about those exercises and maybe some cable crossovers for a little more chest activation?
    Yep. Since loads are much less, you can keep muscle active and working till you're fully healed to do heavier weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png