Fasting

Options
I've never been into fasting because I need my food, recently my exercise level has dropped and now might be the right time to fast.
I have questions
1. I take a supplement within a weigh protein 250 Cal's 13g carbs at 7am before exercise "does this break the fast"?
2. Assuming the above doesn't break the fast how long should I fast for ? I normally eat at 1pm and 6pm nothing else
3. Should I eat smaller meals so as to shrink the stomach?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    I've never been into fasting because I need my food, recently my exercise level has dropped and now might be the right time to fast.
    I have questions
    1. I take a supplement within a weigh protein 250 Cal's 13g carbs at 7am before exercise "does this break the fast"?
    2. Assuming the above doesn't break the fast how long should I fast for ? I normally eat at 1pm and 6pm nothing else

1. Calories break a fast. It's just how it works.
    2. Whatever works for your goals.
    3. Doesn't work like that.

The biggest question, as alluded above and what are your goals (fitness and body composition)?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    While the supplement does break your fast, the good news is that there is nothing magical about fasting, so it's fine to go on with your 7 AM, 1 PM, and 6 PM schedule.

If you need to eat less calories due to exercising less, take them out of your 1 PM and/or 6 PM meals, whatever makes the most sense to you.

I like to focus on foods that fill me up the most, which for me are foods with protein, fiber, and bulk. I decrease foods that have little satiety for me, such as foods made from wheat flour and high fat foods.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to fast? The main benefit for some people is that it helps them control how many calories they consume. Other than that, there's nothing magical about it. You can split up your daily calories in any way you want. You just have to find what works best for you.

To answer your questions...technically, anything with calories breaks a fast, so, yes, your supplement would break a fast.

People who do fast generally select an eating window that works best for them and their lifestyle. 16:8 seems to be the most popular, but there's no rules about it.

The size and timing of your meals doesn't really matter. You can eat big meals, small meals, whatever keeps you satisfied.

I have a couple of pockets of fat showing thought I could use this reduced training time to mix it up and move the fat
  • andysport1
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I have questions

1. Calories break a fast. It's just how it works.
    2. Whatever works for your goals.
    3. Doesn't work like that.

The biggest question, as alluded above and what are your goals (fitness and body composition)?

Composition
    I have a couple of small fat pockets
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to fast? The main benefit for some people is that it helps them control how many calories they consume. Other than that, there's nothing magical about it. You can split up your daily calories in any way you want. You just have to find what works best for you.

To answer your questions...technically, anything with calories breaks a fast, so, yes, your supplement would break a fast.

People who do fast generally select an eating window that works best for them and their lifestyle. 16:8 seems to be the most popular, but there's no rules about it.

The size and timing of your meals doesn't really matter. You can eat big meals, small meals, whatever keeps you satisfied.

I have a couple of pockets of fat showing thought I could use this reduced training time to mix it up and move the fat

Fasting will only help with that if it helps you eat fewer calories overall.
  • andysport1
    Options

I thought fasting was some super sonic ketosis thing.
    I am logging today and I'll continue to log so I can check on calories.
    Thanks
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I think fasting creates a focus to stop snacking for a part of the day. Its a good thing as long as the gorging after breaking the fast does not outweigh the snacking hiatus. I don't do it because I don't snack continuously and never eat anything after dinner. But i see how it can work for others.
  • andysport1
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I thought fasting was some super sonic ketosis thing.
    I am logging today and I'll continue to log so I can check on calories.
    Thanks

You can be in ketosis and lose weight, maintain weight or gain weight. You do know you are burning fat 24x7 whether you are in ketosis or not I hope? Fat burning is not something that has to be forced, it's absolutely normal.

Unlikely a time restricted fasting schedule would put you into ketosis unless you also had a very low carb diet - an average sized male might have 2,000 cals of glycogen stored, plenty in reserve to span the gaps between eating. I frequently do bike rides of two hours plus when fasted - no sign of ketosis (that's a good thing for me!).

But drinking 250cals in supplement form is really no different to eating same macros in 250cals of solid food. It's not fasting - not that it matters in the slightest for your stated goals.

I (mostly) skip breakfast because it helps me allocate my calories in a way that's both easier and more enjoyable for me to manage. If having your 250cal whey protein shake helps you to manage your diet better then carry on, it's probably also marginally better in terms of body composition to take in an additional protein dose spread throughout the day. But the overwhelming priority is making your adherence easier and your exercise performance optimal.

Thanks
    The morning supplements I can take with or without whey (it's cheaper with whey) I also cycle, once a week a 3hr fasted, normally 1500/2000 kms a month but I've dropped back, I started to chi and pilates twice a week and yoga daily 30min, introduced a small amount of resistance training, the cycling doesn't help flexibility so I've eased back a bit.
    From other posts Ive decided I'll log my food and look for a pattern over the next few weeks
    I don't normally log
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    You may want to review your desired goals first and then decide on a course of action as opposed to what, to me, sounds a bit like the opposite.

I am getting the impression that you've decided that fasting is a good thing and you're looking for ways and reasons to implement it.

vs, for example deciding that you are trying to improve your athletic performance and workouts and are thinking of ways of doing this, or, vs, for example: being concerned about weight gain after an injury that has forced a reduction in exercise, or, vs, for example: being busy at work and exercising less because of this and wanting to take the opportunity to lose a little bit of weight.

In some (but not necessarily all) of the above cases fasting may be a good tool to use to get to your end results.

But I would NOT normally be trying to "fit my day" in ORDER to implement fasting.

A lot of things have been written about fasting. And a lot of things have been written about a lot of other things. Some have logic and support. Some don't. But the magical properties are not necessarily proven as of yet, some downsides could exist, and whether you are likely to benefit or not depends on your individual circumstances and propensities.

AND if you're concerned with optimum workouts and have a couple of vanity pounds to lose... you don't sound necessarily start off by sounding like an ideal candidate who would benefit.
  • andysport1
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You may want to review your desired goals first and then decide on a course of action as opposed to what, to me, sounds a bit like the opposite.

I am getting the impression that you've decided that fasting is a good thing and you're looking for ways and reasons to implement it.

vs, for example deciding that you are trying to improve your athletic performance and workouts and are thinking of ways of doing this, or, vs, for example: being concerned about weight gain after an injury that has forced a reduction in exercise, or, vs, for example: being busy at work and exercising less because of this and wanting to take the opportunity to lose a little bit of weight.

In some (but not necessarily all) of the above cases fasting may be a good tool to use to get to your end results.

But I would NOT normally be trying to "fit my day" in ORDER to implement fasting.

A lot of things have been written about fasting. And a lot of things have been written about a lot of other things. Some have logic and support. Some don't. But the magical properties are not necessarily proven as of yet, some downsides could exist, and whether you are likely to benefit or not depends on your individual circumstances and propensities.

AND if you're concerned with optimum workouts and have a couple of vanity pounds to lose... you don't sound necessarily start off by sounding like an ideal candidate who would benefit.

You are correct, I now know fasting isn't some some super thing that I need, without asking here I wouldn't have gained any knowledge, I also went away and read more after some of the comments.
    I don't need to introduce fasting, yes I'm concerned about weight gain at this moment and during the next few weeks, I started logging food yesterday in an attempt to track any changes.
    My exercise changes have been because of loss of muscle defenition (excessive cycling) and due to flexibility constraints due to too much of one thing.
    Thanks for your comments, every little helps
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

You are correct, I now know fasting isn't some some super thing that I need, without asking here I wouldn't have gained any knowledge, I also went away and read more after some of the comments.
    I don't need to introduce fasting, yes I'm concerned about weight gain at this moment and during the next few weeks, I started logging food yesterday in an attempt to track any changes.
    My exercise changes have been because of loss of muscle defenition (excessive cycling) and due to flexibility constraints due to too much of one thing.
    Thanks for your comments, every little helps

This is a bit of an overgeneralization, but the idea that cardio depletes muscle is not very accurate. Yes, if a person does large amounts of non-strength-challenging cardio alongside very low calories, muscle loss can result, but that's more about silly-big calorie deficits than about cardio per se. Similarly, if someone overemphasizes cardio to the exclusion of maintaining/gaining muscle, the body may prioritize losing some of the muscle. Get reasonable calories for one's exercise level (even if losing weight), get good nutrition, remind your body you want it to keep and even increase muscle, that should go OK, within the average person's range of activities.

Muscle definition is a combination of having muscle, getting body fat to a level that doesn't hide it . . . plus sometimes a bit of pump.

Clearly, if someone's going for bodybuilder-level results, they're going to want to put lots of effort and time into strength training, and that will probably reduce the time they want to spend on cardio. I don't know if that's what you're going for. But a healthy level of muscularity, the type many people would pursue for a generally fit appearance, can happen with a good bit of cardio in the picture.

Basis for saying this: Take a look at elite rowers. They don't look like bodybuilders, but they look strong, well-defined, fit. Most of them lift, these days . . . but they also do volumes of "cardio" that are probably unimaginable to us regular duffers - hours daily. Some other endurance athletes can be similar, but a feature of rowing is that the performance penalty for carrying extra weight is relatively small, compared to things like running, cycling, XC skiing, etc. Elite swimmers tend to look pretty strong, fit, defined, too. Some of the crossfitters do bunches of varied cardio, also look quite muscular.

I don't know exactly what look (or performance/health result) you're going for, but I'm concerned that you may be buying into some folklore about cardio. There's as much nonsense about fitness out in the blogosphere as there is about diet, and as with diet, it's commonly believed . . . but not necessarily pure truth. Some cardio is useful, for health.

If your issue is fat pockets, the probable solution includes managing calories in some way. Strength training burns calories, but cardio burns more of them minute for minute, typically. Strength training adds muscle relatively slowly, but it's still the fastest route. Which exercise type to prioritize depends on details of your goals.
  • gfjazz
    gfjazz Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    anyone here
    this is October 22
    I have been fasting 14 days 20/4 down 7 pounds
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to start a new thread rather than piggy backing on to an old one

You will not continue to lose at a rate of 3.5 pounds per week unless you are very obese to start with.

An initial water weight loss often happens when calories first reduced - regardless of fasting or not.

Not sure what you mean by 'fasting for 14 days 20/4' - do you mean you have an eating window of 4 hours per day and don't eat in the other 20.

If that eating style works for you, that's great (totally wouldn't for me but I am not you) - your weight loss however will still come down to CICO, like everyone else - and you should be aiming for an ongoing pace of no more than 2 lb per week, on average, possibly less depending how much weight you have to
    lose.

Treat this as a marathon, not a sprint.