Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Barcode Scanner

Options
1235»

Replies

• 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    So, the app just offered me a free month of Premium.

After that month, they want $29 a month or $129 for a year (touted as a discount of 64% off the 'real' cost of $359.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You've got to be f'ing kidding me.

And you need to put your card number in to get that "free" month... not a chance in H3LL!!!
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Not having the barcode scanner is a minor annoyance to me, I've only used it a few time, but going to log in my food on the app, and seeing 3 food choices then a space with turns into an add??? Really??? Having adds along the sides and at the top was fine... (to a point) but now in the middle of what I'm looking for?
    Yup I believe it's time to leave.
  • LeonaLunaLioness
    LeonaLunaLioness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been using this app for around 10 years on and off. I've used the barcode scanner so many times. It has saved my life. It saves time and effort. I'm actually furious that it has been moved behind the paywall. I just see this as a greedy move on myfitnesspal's part. I feel like it's a way to make more people get their EXPENSIVE premium subscription because not enough people were paying for it to fill their pockets.

Uuuggghhh please someone important listen.

I really just want the barcode scanner back please.
  • sharronphillips74
    Options
    Please go back to letting the free membership be able to scan barcodes. It was super helpful and kinda sucks it was taken away.
  • sharronphillips74
    Options
    Please go back to letting the free membership be able to scan barcodes. It was super helpful and kinda sucks it was taken away.
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone in the disappointment of having a STANDARD FREE VERSION that included barcode scanner for free. I've been a member going on nearly 10 years and have submitted my own fair amount of data so that other members would have accurate info when using the scanning feature. Now I have to pay nearly $20 per month to use the scanner?? Seriously at this point I should just go back to a paper food & fitness journal. I am very disappointed and hope that with enough feedback this function returns as a free feature.
  • RobJVM
    RobJVM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try LoseIt!. Took me one day to get used to it, and after a week I paid for a LIFETIME premium membership (which is STILL less than just one year of MFP premium).
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    RobJVM wrote: »
    Try LoseIt!. Took me one day to get used to it, and after a week I paid for a LIFETIME premium membership (which is STILL less than just one year of MFP premium).

I have to say that, at the moment, I agree with this although even the free version is just as good. If anything, it's slightly better so far. Even the portion amounts are accurate. I'm toying with the idea of paying Premium to them as it's only £15 for a year at Lose It! and not bloody £20 a month!!

With the free version of Lose It! though, I will say that it sucks that you can't plan ahead (as you need Premium) but it's a minor thing to me as it gives me that excuse in the morning to have my coffee and set the day up.

I said I'd give MFP until the end of the month and they haven't changed their minds...honestly, I think I may be on to something better so I'm now more serious than ever about leaving...
  • Bearded_Slakoth
    Bearded_Slakoth Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I truly wish the SCAN FOOD option was still free to use.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I am so frustrated that they took this once free feature away. I tried to ignore it and manually entered my food but it was too frustrating. The scan feature just made making entries much easier. I can’t see myself paying a monthly or yearly fee because I would not be using it everyday. Ugh!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Mine still works for whatever reason
  • Maranda0827
    Maranda0827 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Super frustrated about this! This was my favorite food logging app that I’ve used for so many years. Looks like I’ll be moving over to a different one :(
  • Bearded_Slakoth
    Bearded_Slakoth Posts: 121 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I so agree. SCAN A BARCODE was literally so easy. And it made it to where you know the correct food is being chosen. With searching, tons of times the nutrition values are off. It's just absolutely pathetic they made this for ONLY PREMIUM.
  • jennilee8380
    jennilee8380 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Mine is still working and I don't pay for premium. Did they change their minds?
  • rbran
    rbran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Taking the bar code food scanning availability on the free version, just to get us to buy premium - I say bye bye 👋 smell ya! Terrible business decision….
  • RoguePisigit
    RoguePisigit Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I have a 2970-day logging streak and have been using the app (well, website) even longer. I've been maintaining a 175-pound weight loss for over 7 years. MFP wrote a story about me on their blog. And this is the business decision that made me decide when I hit 3000 days, I'll say "goal accomplished," and MFP and I will part ways.
  • txpsufan
    txpsufan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hiding one of the best features behind an $80.00 a year pay wall is the dumbest thing you folks could have done. After reading more about the group that bought you up, I am no longer surprised. May you reap what you sow.
  • Randy8967
    Randy8967 Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I completely agree. The main reason of why this has been my go to app and I recommend to others was that feature.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I just came back to MFP after a break. I've been using MFP off and on for about 10 years. I just downloaded Lose It! and will be using that going forward. Can't believe they removed the barcode feature and the exercise calorie deduction.
  • amonieg
    amonieg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As an individual who has been using this app before it was sold and started ads and a paid version it is bad business to start charging for something that was always free. I will not pay for something that came with the membership. Losing It offers a free scanner with the use of their application.