How much butter should you use when frying food?

I made spinach and onions and used something like 25g of butter. What is the minimum I could have used while still having a good flavour and having a well greased pan?

My meal was about 600 calories and I used about 300 just on butter and cooking spray (for the eggs)

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    Depends both on how much spinach and onions, and what kind of pan. The amount of spinach and onion I would cook for one (maybe as a omelet filling? -- guessing from the eggs), and using a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet, I would probably use 8 to 10 grams of butter. But I like sauteed spinach and onions, so I don't feel like I need them swimming in butter to taste good. YMMV.
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    I cooked one onion and 50 to 100g of spinach
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    I cooked one onion and 50 to 100g of spinach

Well, the "good flavour" issue obviously is something you have to decide for yourself, but I would only need about 8 to 10 grams to saute that amount of veg. If you don't think that's adequate to grease the pan, you might want to consider a different pan.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 295 Member
    I agree the pan really makes a difference! Cast iron is great. You could also first cook in a bit of water (or microwave!) and then just finish it off for flavor with some oil or butter.
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    avatiach wrote: »
    I agree the pan really makes a difference! Cast iron is great. You could also first cook in a bit of water (or microwave!) and then just finish it off for flavor with some oil or butter.

How much is some? Would 4g be enough?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    I rarely use more than 5g of oil (usually avocado or macadamia lately) in my well-seasoned cast iron pan, and often less, to saute something like that.

I admit that I'm not a fat enthusiast for either flavor or satiation, so I'm motivated to keep fat at a minimum. If I want more flavor, I'm more likely to use something like broth, miso, tamari, balsamic vinegar, etc. - during or after cooking - vs. fat.

I rarely use butter at all in frying or as a post-cooking flavoring. I use it in baking sometimes.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,160 Member
    25g's of butter is really only about 180 calories. Personally I would use about 25g's to cook the onion and adding spinach wouldn't affect a decision to add more, but then again, I'm low carb and fat is my friend. Cheers.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I avoid using any oil or butter by using a splash of vegetable stock to moisten the food until it’s hot enough to release its own moisture. Doesn’t stick assuming a reasonable quality pan (cast iron, ceramic etc)

I appreciate this wouldn’t work if you’re frying an egg (or I assume it wouldn’t, I don’t eat fried eggs - much prefer to poach them)

This is both for calorie saving intent but more importantly to me, I dislike the feeling of grease or fat in my mouth.
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    Thanks, very helpful tips!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,858 Member
    I usually cook with about 8gr of oil. But that's for a whole dish and not a bit of onion and spinach. When sauteeing onions I keep the temperature low. They get lovely sweet, and the oil doesn't evaporate or end up all over my cooking area.