Introduction

Options
Good morning! I am new to this community. I am 63 and want to release 20 pounds with intermittent fasting. I would love to hear from others close to my age who have had success. I find my main issue to be trying to please my husband with meals that he likes. He is not as concerned about his health. He said he will support me with my goals, but when I see him eating whatever he wants, I sometimes say, “F it” and go off my diet. I just bought a book called, “Visualization for Weight Loss.” I am going to try that and intermittent fasting. I would appreciate hearing from any of you who have had success with intermittent fasting. Thank you.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I use IF, but mainly because I'm not hungry in the morning. I lose weight by keeping within my calorie target. IF helps me with that somewhat because I'm not eating an unnecessary meal, but the weight loss comes from staying within my calories.
  • peiotter
    peiotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Dear inrpc4u, Love your handle! I am eating 16/8 and have lost .5 lbs per week for 18 months-around 40 pounds. I have 15 pounds I would still like to get rid of. Might be done by next June. I use Sten Ekberg on youtube for a bit inspiration. I have also used Room to track food and learn their clever lesson plans. They do not use IMF but the lessons re clever and keep you motivated. Totally like the fasting. I feel much better as a result. My husband has been told to loose weight but he is not interested.
  • peiotter
    peiotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    oops NOOM not Room!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,363 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to the Community!

I don't IF (not my jam, but it's great for those it suits), but I did lose 50-some pounds at age 59-60 while using MFP, and have stayed at a healthy weight since (now age 66, almost 67), after around 30 previous years of overweight/obesity.

I think a key success factor for most people is finding the tactics that are personalized, that work with our preferences, strengths, and limitations as unique individuals. For some people, that's IF, for others it's other eating styles. Anything reasonably-health promoting that works for an individual is a good plan for them, IMO. We don't all need to do weight management the exact same way.

Wishing you much success here!
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    inrpc4u wrote: »
    Good morning! I am new to this community. I am 63 and want to release 20 pounds with intermittent fasting. I would love to hear from others close to my age who have had success. I find my main issue to be trying to please my husband with meals that he likes. He is not as concerned about his health. He said he will support me with my goals, but when I see him eating whatever he wants, I sometimes say, “F it” and go off my diet. I just bought a book called, “Visualization for Weight Loss.” I am going to try that and intermittent fasting. I would appreciate hearing from any of you who have had success with intermittent fasting. Thank you.

I have sent you a friend request
  • GlennMcMillan
    GlennMcMillan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mental preparation. My greatest tool is to go walk when the stressful moment hit. Like yesterday, my wife wanted to look for a pair of shoes while we were in the city for a Dr appointment. I could have been grumpy and sat in the car or a bench in the Mall. Instead I got a 58 min walk in. Yes it took her that long!