Shaking after workout

Options
Quick question: what causes shaking after workout? Full body shudder , trembling…

So, I got a rowing machine for my birthday which I looooove. Anyway, I work out every day. Treadmill or outdoor walk, elliptical (jog speed), yoga and/or Tia chi. I have a bowflex cable weight machine I use 3ish days a weeks. I enjoy exercising. I move constantly throughout the day.

Anyway, today I was on my second rowing session (because I find it fun), and my husband popped by the house because he forgot something. I stopped midway what i was doing too talk to him sweating, and full body shaking This went on probably 5 ish minutes at the longest. He said “ drink some water.” which I had been, and did. I also ate some Greek Yogurt and blueberries.

I feel absolutely fine now. I’ve carried on with my usual routine with no further issues. I’m just curious if this is an off day or something anyone else has experienced.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    I've felt weak and shaky once, very recently, but it was after a very long run. My guess for that occasion was low blood sugar and/or lack of electrolytes.

Does that sound like something that could be a likely cause?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How long had it been since you'd eaten?
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It could be I that I did not eat enough for breakfast. I drink coffee with a Members Mark protein shake in it every day for breakfast and I’m usually good until 11. Maybe I just needed a little more to eat to keep me going.

The rowing is much more physical than what I typically do and I have only had the machine since Friday.

Thank you guys! 💐
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    From personal experience I put this kind of thing, when similar has happened to me, as not ‘cooling down’ well.

When I first started lifting I did a particularly intense, for me, leg day. I finished the routine then went straight out to the car and found there was no way I could safely drive home my legs were shaking so much. I sat and waited 10 min then was safe to drive. My legs were a bit shaky for a good couple of hours once home.
    The next time I did that not normal for me routine I walked and did body squats, toe touching, etc at the end of the routine. No shakes. I just needed to give my muscles a gentle ‘cool down’ rather than an abrupt stop.
    I have done it with my arms too and ended up with a cup of water all down the front of me.

You were doing a new full body workout on your rowing machine and came to an abrupt stop rather than doing a slow stop. I would have probably had full body shakes given your circumstances. If hydration/electrolytes and feeding are not a problem.

My lack of food/hydration/electrolytes show as light headedness, cold sweat, and sickly feeling, not shaking.

Just another aspect to consider.
    Cheers, h.

• serpentegena
    serpentegena Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Happened to me a long time ago, when I was going to the gym for weights training. I hadn't eaten at all that morning. I went to the nutrition counter to ask for help. The guy sold me a banana for 25¢. Problem solved :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar usually. Do you train fasted?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,300 Member
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    It could be I that I did not eat enough for breakfast. I drink coffee with a Members Mark protein shake in it every day for breakfast and I’m usually good until 11. Maybe I just needed a little more to eat to keep me going.

The rowing is much more physical than what I typically do and I have only had the machine since Friday.

Thank you guys! 💐

I wonder about pre-workout carbs, and whether you're low carbing in general. Some people find it helps to time carbs around more-intense workouts. I do, sometimes.

The exercise routine you describe sounds great in general, but it sounds like the rowing may be more intense (glycogen demanding) than you're adapted to as yet.

Before the low carb folks get excited: I'm not saying fat adaptation totally can't handle intensity. (I have no relevant experience, because I don't and wouldn't personally low carb - no diss, just not my thing.) I'm simply saying that adaptation is a process - can take time and intention to be fully realized. (That, I've experienced in other ways.)
  • IAmTheGlue
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I wonder about pre-workout carbs, and whether you're low carbing in general. Some people find it helps to time carbs around more-intense workouts. I do, sometimes.

The exercise routine you describe sounds great in general, but it sounds like the rowing may be more intense (glycogen demanding) than you're adapted to as yet.

Before the low carb folks get excited: I'm not saying fat adaptation totally can't handle intensity. (I have no relevant experience, because I don't and wouldn't personally low carb - no diss, just not my thing.) I'm simply saying that adaptation is a process - can take time and intention to be fully realized. (That, I've experienced in other ways.)

Okay, Thank you so much! That makes sense.

I do understand that glycogen is stored in the liver? I believe that is correct and I have 2 rare autoimmune bile duct/liver diseases and unfortunately am in early cirrhosis or compensated cirrhosis. My liver does not function properly but my other body systems are still keeping up but all the while my immune system keeps attacking my bile ducts. I’m trying desperately to build wellness in my body around my malfunctioning immune system.

Thank you for the insight. I am gluten-free, vegetarian due to food intolerances. I don’t really watch my carbs, only my calories and my protein as it is vital I maintain my muscle. I eat small amounts
    all day long but it’s primarily vegetables and fruit as I tolerate them well and the two protein shakes (one in the morning and one at night).

Once again, thank you so much. I believe it has been a week and I’m still shaky after using my rower but I will try to see if I can add some carbs before using it.

• AnnPT77
    Options

Okay, Thank you so much! That makes sense.

I do understand that glycogen is stored in the liver? I believe that is correct and I have 2 rare autoimmune bile duct/liver diseases and unfortunately am in early cirrhosis or compensated cirrhosis. My liver does not function properly but my other body systems are still keeping up but all the while my immune system keeps attacking my bile ducts. I’m trying desperately to build wellness in my body around my malfunctioning immune system.

Thank you for the insight. I am gluten-free, vegetarian due to food intolerances. I don’t really watch my carbs, only my calories and my protein as it is vital I maintain my muscle. I eat small amounts
    all day long but it’s primarily vegetables and fruit as I tolerate them well and the two protein shakes (one in the morning and one at night).

Once again, thank you so much. I believe it has been a week and I’m still shaky after using my rower but I will try to see if I can add some carbs before using it.

Glycogen is also stored in muscles, and - oversimplifying - muscle glycogen would be used increasingly as intensity rises, and before liver glycogen.

I don't know what effect your liver condition might have on glycogen synthesis, storage, or utilization.
  • IAmTheGlue
    Options
    Glycogen is also stored in muscles, and - oversimplifying - muscle glycogen would be used increasingly as intensity rises, and before liver glycogen.

I don't know what effect your liver condition might have on glycogen synthesis, storage, or utilization.

Thank you so much! I appreciate you explaining everything so well. I’m going to try adding some carbs this morning to see how that affects the shaking.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Thank you so much! I appreciate you explaining everything so well. I’m going to try adding some carbs this morning to see how that affects the shaking.

Maybe quick carbs: Sugars, low fiber.
  • IAmTheGlue
    Options
    Okay, thank you! I really appreciate your help. 💐
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Let us know how things turn out, as you try to work through this, if you feel like coming back to this thread to comment on that after some personal experiments? That might help other people figure out what they ought to try, too.

It could be related to health conditions, to food choices/diet, to current fitness level/conditioning, to recovery (sleep and rest days among other things), hydration, and more. But I'm betting some conscious experimentation will give you personal insights.

Best wishes!
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My first thought is a electrolyte imbalance (calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium). Nerve misfiring signals to your muscles.

I’m in a hot climate area, workout a lot, sweat a lot. I get slight tremors and suffer muscle cramps if I don’t get enough electrolytes. My go to is SaltStick pills, and adding extra salt in my food.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Lots of good stuff here about preworkout nutrition and hydration!
    It sounds like you’re new to rowing. It might just be neurological adaptation and as you do this motion more regularly it likely will subside. But after an especially hard session you might feel it again.
    When I started lifting weights it would happen fairly routinely (like every day lol) but now it happens only occasionally- when I really have to push to finish the last set etc. I asked my doctor and he says it’s kind of normal- don’t worry about it too much. Neurological adaptation is one of the reasons newbies gain ability quickly.