Diabetics!

Options
Hey, if you are a diabetic, lets talk about weird sugar spikes and how you handle them. I have lost 40 pounds since January, 12 since joining MFP...but my sugar is still relatively high.

Need advice on how to handle sugar with meds and diet. My goal is to get off the meds!

Help.

Replies

• ymjauthor
    ymjauthor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. As a fellow Diabetic, I wish I knew. I notice that my sugar is more controlled when taking my insulin. I am on one oral and two insulins.The problem I am finding is that on the days that I work out, I become hypoglycemic, when in turns deters me from taking my insulin on days I plan on working out, which I know is no-no...but I haven't figured it out yet.
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss! I am a pre-diabetic and am trying to figure all this balancing carbs with protein when I eat.
    I have to start monitoring my levels to get a better baseline so I interested to see what everyone says.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Inner Jabba spiked my sugar to ungodly levels. I was diagnosed eight years ago, at 260 lbs. My sugar was 512. I went to the doctor because I could not stand up, it felt like my legs were exhausted. It was scary. And I was disgusted to learn that my bad eating and obsession with soda was killing me in my 20s.

I don't have sugar spikes anymore. My average blood sugar count is 120-125 and my glucose count is 5.6 (which is still high but it was like 14 when I was diagnosed)

I would say watch very closely your sugar intake and don't kid yourself. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I don't eat sugar. I have a wicked sweet tooth. However, I do monitor heavily my sugar intake, AND I am extremely active now which has been tremendous for me.

Do you exercise? I mean really exercise. Just walking didn't do anything for my sugar levels though it helped me lose weight. I started running again and after a couple months was able to regularly do 4-5 miles a day. I noticed my sugar drop when my running hit those levels. I also play soccer now again as well as maintain a 3x a week weight training regimen.

Good luck to you on your journey.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same things. I really thought that when I lost weight and exercised that my glucose would take care of itself with no meds. - not yet!
  • michelby09
    michelby09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have type 1 diabetes and am using an insulin pump. Before that, I was on Metformin as well as 2 shots of Lantus a day....and the Metformin did NOTHING for me! I'm heavily insulin resistant, so the only thing that really works for me is the insulin pump.

What I would do is start a log and take your BG right before you eat, 1 hour after, and 2 hours after. Monitor what your BG readings are, and adjust your medication accordingly.

For me, my BG goes way up during the night, so I need a higher basal rate during that time. Another solution is to eat something like peanut butter or nuts before bed. When I work out, I don't take any insulin at all because it dramatically drops my BG.

Having diabetes is all about constantly monitoring and adjusting. You'll get the hang of it!
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Kissiefish: when are you experiencing your sugar spikes? have you seen a pattern as to when you experience them??

I am a Type 1 diabetic who was put on a pump in November because even though I was eating good, exercising and having great number, especially when going to bed -- I was waking up with my sugars ranging from 350-500. My Edno determined that I was one of those people who was experiencing Pre-Dawn Phenomenon. Basically what was happening is when it was time to wake up, your hormones start to kick in and it was shooting my numbers up.

My numbers are extremely affected by my hormone levels. When I am extremely stressed out or sick, my numbers are never right. My morning numbers have evened out because I am now on a continuous flow of insulin. But like Auticus said, you do have to watch your sugar and simple carb intake.

YMJAUTHOR: When I know I am working out, I do not wear my pump and adjust my insulin to carb ration a bit because I was experiencing a drop in my sugar when I was wearing my pump.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I am a diaabetic. nND HAVE BEEN FOR 20 YEAR AND MY BLOOD SUGAR HAS BEVER BEEN IN CONTOL have been on 4 injections of inulin a day. still not in good control unti i read a article on Jenny craig in the woman world article. It was a plan using your on food . But what I really got out of it was portein control. Also leaving out bread , sugar etc. otherwise eating veggies grown on top of the ground. I eat Beans for my protein and used non fat yogurt lite. Within a week My doctor took me off of 3 injections a day. I am still on Lantus at noght. And hope to get off of it in the future. She has decrease my Lantus from 30 units to 18 so far.

I have one of thosse portion control Plate that you can buy at walmart in their containers dept that has a lid with a vent. Come lunch time I feel it full of assorted 1/2 cups of veggies nd a 1/2 cup of beans and usally have a 1/2 cup of cole slaw on the side. Walmart slso have those ventd containers in a small size and large the cook you veggies so good. I keep a large sizes full Of difference vegies cook in the friddge and just drag then out and fill My plat and while i got them out I filled a second one for dinner.

It is so nice not to have to poke my belly before each meal.

Good luck on getting your blood sugar in control and congrat on the weight loss.
  • kissiefish
    Options
    Inner Jabba spiked my sugar to ungodly levels. I was diagnosed eight years ago, at 260 lbs. My sugar was 512. I went to the doctor because I could not stand up, it felt like my legs were exhausted. It was scary. And I was disgusted to learn that my bad eating and obsession with soda was killing me in my 20s.

I don't have sugar spikes anymore. My average blood sugar count is 120-125 and my glucose count is 5.6 (which is still high but it was like 14 when I was diagnosed)

I would say watch very closely your sugar intake and don't kid yourself. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that I don't eat sugar. I have a wicked sweet tooth. However, I do monitor heavily my sugar intake, AND I am extremely active now which has been tremendous for me.

Do you exercise? I mean really exercise. Just walking didn't do anything for my sugar levels though it helped me lose weight. I started running again and after a couple months was able to regularly do 4-5 miles a day. I noticed my sugar drop when my running hit those levels. I also play soccer now again as well as maintain a 3x a week weight training regimen.

Good luck to you on your journey.

I do exercise, some days more extreme than others. I am finding odd things spike my sugar...that is the frustration.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I dn't evcercise for I am 80 years old just watch my food and keep active around the house. do some quiltin keep my mine occupy and talk to my wonderful friends on MFP/
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you are a diabetic, lets talk about weird sugar spikes and how you handle them. I have lost 40 pounds since January, 12 since joining MFP...but my sugar is still relatively high.

Need advice on how to handle sugar with meds and diet. My goal is to get off the meds!

Help.

I am not trying to sound preachy, I am trying to educate and what works for those of us that are Diabetic.

In order to get off the meds, you have to severely cut the carbs. If you are eating carbs other than a LOT of vegetables and minimal fruit you are making your pancreas secrete too much insulin and your body is becoming more and more resistant to it.

Let me send you an article to read to REVERSE Diabetes.

Cut out all processed foods. I am sorry, but your health depends on it and "everything in moderation" is not going to work for someone with a broken endocrine system - which is what Diabetes essentially is.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, Hypo-thyroid, PCOS, and adrenal gland fatigue in 2003 and I have lived medication free from all these disorders since 2004.

Low Carb (higher fat, moderate protein, low carb) - keeps insulin stable and level.

Long slow walks a couple times per week - you may also suffer with adrenal gland fatigue and long slow walks keep cortisol from being too high and helps in the reversal of both Adrenal Gland Fatigue and Diabetes.

Strength training - Yes lifting weights is far more important than cardio.

Get plenty of rest, you need 8-9 hours of sleep her night

Fresh, plain water.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Here is one article that backs up my above mentioned post and I will post the other article in a few minutes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2011/09/20/2011-09-20_paleo_diet_or_caveman_diet_gains_traction_despite_controversies_this_is_not_fred.html
  • Grokette
    Options
    A Low-Carb Diet Shown to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
    Study Proves Very Low Carb Diet is Effective
    From Debra Manzella, R.N., former About.com Guide
    Updated March 20, 2009

Does a low-carb diet really help control or even reverse type 2 diabetes? According to a study from Duke University, a very low-carb diet (20 grams or less a day) gave participants better blood sugar control and more effective weight loss than participants who followed a low-glycemic reduced calorie diet.

Eighty-four people with obesity and type 2 diabetes took part in the study. During the study, both groups also had the supportive benefit of group meetings, nutritional supplementation and an exercise program. After 6 months, the low-carb group had lower hemoglobin A1c results, lost more weight, and 95% were able to reduce or even totally eliminate their diabetes medications. The reduced calorie group did lose weight, and 62% of them were also able to reduce or eliminate their medications, but the low-carb diet group had better overall results.

"It's simple," says Eric Westman, MD, director of Duke's Lifestyle Medicine Program and lead author of the study. "If you cut out the carbohydrates, your blood sugar goes down, and you lose weight which lowers your blood sugar even further. It's a one-two punch."

The low-carb diet used in the study is very restrictive on carb intake, with participants eating under 20 grams of carbs a day. This may be difficult for many people to stick to, but as Dr. Westman says, "This is a therapeutic diet for people who are sick," says Westman. "These lifestyle approaches all have an intensive behavioral component. In our program, people come in every two weeks to get reinforcements and reminders. We've treated hundreds of patients this way now at Duke, and what we see clinically and in our research shows that it works."

Keep in mind that there is more to these results than just diet. Both groups also exercised regularly as well. Diet combined with exercise is the cornerstone of diabetes management. Before starting any diet program, please talk with your doctor, or healthcare provider.

Source:

(Jan. 5, 2009). Low-Carb Diets Prove Better at Controlling Type 2 Diabetes . Retrieved February 19, 2009, from DukeHealth.org Web site: http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes[/link">
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    Grokette is correct. I am a nurse and a diabetic. The ONLY way for most diabetics to get any sort of control is to have less than thirty grams of non-refined carbs a day. Vegetables and protein. I still need to take my lantus, but in a much lower dose and am off the N entirely. When I get a craving, I do have to take a dose of regular insulin...but that is because my pancreas doesn't perform as normal. Keep up the good work. Stick to it! It is sooo worth it. :-)
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Some interesting posts here, I am new to all this so don't have any answers, I was advised to eat low gi (I am type 2) but not sure about limiting carbs so will have to read all these posts first, thanks for all the info.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have been a Type 2 for 8 years. I have misused and abused my body for the last 40, but started to get serious about my health about 7 months ago, and embarked on a life style change of more fresh foods and less processed foods. A few months ago, I had some medical issues, some diabetes related and some not, but started taking by blood sugar before every meal and at bed time. I also started logging everything I ate. I found a pattern of sugar spikes whenever I had pasta, pizza or a lot of Sourdough bread. Rich sauces also spiked it. I cut out most grains, ate more fruit, veggies, and more fish and chicken, limiting red meat to once a week. I started walking 5-7 day a week. My blood sugar is now under control, except for pizza night, and I have been taken off one of my diabetes meds, three high blood pressure meds and one cholesterol med. I am now reading “The Paleo Solution” by Robb Wolf, and am seriously considering going on that. My goal is to me medication free by August 2012, and ultimately, healthy.

The only way you will be able to tell what spikes your sugar, is to log everything you eat and test before every meal. You will see a pattern of what types of food will spike your sugar, and then be able to make an informed decision as to what to do about it.

The next most important thing is to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week. There are a lot of chemical things that go on in your body with regular exercise, one of which is to help you control your blood sugar.
  • kissiefish
    Options
    Thanks all. I try to eat a relatively low carb diet. My food log is open if anybody wants a look, but please, no harsh comments...judgement is NOT welcome. I am a type 2 diabetic looking for input. I have now sworn off grapes, bananas and oranges as they seem to spike my sugar. I can TELL physically when my sugar is high because I can not stay awake. Today has been a good day. I did eat 1/2 a bagel and a low carb yogurt for breakfast with my coffee and was only 140 after the meal.

I do exercise at least 30 min a day. My husband and I play ping pong (extreme...no rules, no score, table optional)at lunch for 30 min every work day (as long as there is not some work emergency). We also take our 15 min break together and walk. We are in Tennessee...so no shortage of heart pumping hills here! lots of up and down walking. We also manage a couple of times a week to be beaten to death by Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred. So from when I started MFP to now...exercise has increased dramatically!!! That was why I thougth my sugar would be better controlled.

I am on several meds for sugar, metformin, glimperide, and Victoza (the latter makes me sick.. I can not really eat when I take it, it gvies me HORRIBLE heart burn and indigestion. I vomit regularly on it....but my doc insists I take it because my A1c was high...and it was high. Disappointingly high for somebody who has really cut back on food, fat and sugar and increased physical activity.

Thanks for being real....and not being judgemental. This sucks and I'm trying to change it.
  • kissiefish
    Options
    Thanks all. I try to eat a relatively low carb diet. My food log is open if anybody wants a look, but please, no harsh comments...judgement is NOT welcome. I am a type 2 diabetic looking for input. I have now sworn off grapes, bananas and oranges as they seem to spike my sugar. I can TELL physically when my sugar is high because I can not stay awake. Today has been a good day. I did eat 1/2 a bagel and a low carb yogurt for breakfast with my coffee and was only 140 after the meal.

I do exercise at least 30 min a day. My husband and I play ping pong (extreme...no rules, no score, table optional)at lunch for 30 min every work day (as long as there is not some work emergency). We also take our 15 min break together and walk. We are in Tennessee...so no shortage of heart pumping hills here! lots of up and down walking. We also manage a couple of times a week to be beaten to death by Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred. So from when I started MFP to now...exercise has increased dramatically!!! That was why I thougth my sugar would be better controlled.

I am on several meds for sugar, metformin, glimperide, and Victoza (the latter makes me sick.. I can not really eat when I take it, it gvies me HORRIBLE heart burn and indigestion. I vomit regularly on it....but my doc insists I take it because my A1c was high...and it was high. Disappointingly high for somebody who has really cut back on food, fat and sugar and increased physical activity.

Thanks for being real....and not being judgemental. This sucks and I'm trying to change it.

whoopsie...diary is open to friends. If you think you can help, please send me a friend request. I welcome the help but dont' feel comfy opening the diary to EVERYBODY.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I set up a spread sheet and logged my glucose readings every day, and our lovely son had all ready told me about this site. I printed out my numbers and my food diary and took them with me to meet with a clinical dietician referred by my doc; she was able to help me adjust how I eat so the spikes really leveled out. Having said that I was never insulin dependent, and considered 'mildly' diabetic (if there is such a thing). I was taking Metformin twice a day and Victoza once a day; now I'm only taking a reduced dose of the Victoza and hope to be off it and my bp meds in another couple months when I go back to the doctor. I strongly recommend meeting with a dietician as it helped me enormously, and I can e-mail or call her when I have quesitons.
  • rfiveh2003
    Options
    Kind of feel I have been in same situation as you, been on track to be meds free, however just spent some time with an unrelated med problem in hospital. My numbers went right back up since they had terrible food and their idea of healthy included 2 bags of potato chips! Hope to get back on track now that I am back home
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    My blood sugar is still in control by eating beans and veggies. Better than any pills. I can't beleve it. it is a the answer to my prayers. I don't count my carbs just eat 1/2 c of beans with 2 or 4 veggiesI am doing great. My doctor is so please. So Am I