0%
Medical condition
26%
Mouse_PotatoIAmTheGluemusicfan68XellercinDFW_Tom 5 votes

Replies

• justlog2day
    justlog2day Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A combination of the above derails me at different times. I've learned to accept it as reality and move on.

Keeping perspective that I'm human and not a programmed machine is helpful.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Medical condition
    Always keeping my health as my top priority.

There are always priorities that fall by the wayside when life gets demanding. If health isn't among the very top priorities, it's easy for those habits to drop off under times of stress and overload.

Other things can come to feel much more important: busy schedules, career goals, social demands, etc.

I am always reminding myself that literally *nothing* is more important than my health. So if there's a crunch and something needs to give, it's not going to be my core healthy habits.

Taking care of my body is just something I have to do. Like getting to work on time, feeding my pets, or filling my car up with gas.

It just can't be less important than those things.
  • journey2ahealthierme
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    Taking care of my body is just something I have to do. Like getting to work on time, feeding my pets, or filling my car up with gas.

I LOVE THIS!!! Can I nick it as my motivational saying from here on in? That's just so spot on. I can't believe how simple, but how easily missed, that objective is...!
  • justlog2day
    justlog2day Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Fitness goals and weight goals are not the same. Your list has mostly weight issues. Gaining a few pounds doesn't mean losing fitness.

Excellent point.. One I totally didn't catch.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Fitness goals and weight goals are not the same. Your list has mostly weight issues. Gaining a few pounds doesn't mean losing fitness.

The main problem I have with maintaining my fitness is injuries. When I lift weights, I sometimes hurt my shoulder. When I run, I have to deal with chronic hamstring and glute pain. Squats and lunges hurt my knees. Because fitness is a priority for me, I often choose to ignore the pain that staying fit can cause, but I certainly understand why people would not make the same choice.

That was my reaction, too. I was reasonably fit - in athletic capability terms - for well over a decade while still obese (and not just "obese because muscles"). That's statistically unusual, I guess, but not in any way impossible. Weight loss to a healthy weight (now in the mid-range of the normal BMI range at 21-point something) came later.

These days (all days!), what is hard generically is wrangling my own deeply hedonistic nature.

In the fitness realm, that makes it difficult to switch from a summer routine I utterly love (on-water rowing, and recently some biking on trails) to some kind of much-less-fun Winter indoor regimen (machine rowing, stationary biking, usually some strength training). I always go through a period of denial, laziness, and crankiness where I do pretty low volume. I've learned to trust that I'll eventually snap out of it, because I feel crummy when I do nothing for too long.

On the eating/weight side of things, it's mostly just managing my hedonic impulses to take care of future Ann well, not just make current Ann feel good. In Fall, I also seem to have some extra urges to over-eat as it gets cold and days shorten . . . maybe my Scandinavian genes wanting me to fatten up for Winter? Dunno. I just have to wrangle it, win sometimes, lose sometimes. This is year 7 of maintaining a healthy weight, so I suspect this'll work out OK in the long run, too: Up a few pounds, then need to lose them. NBD.
  • Dougf09
    Dougf09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me, it's time

I've lost 200 lbs in the past and have put a bit back on which is why I'm back. I know what needs to be done and I know how to do it, but also this process just requires time and sometimes I get impatient. I guess this never really trips me up, but it's one thing I stress about when dropping fat. I just want to control time 😆
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    My goals are entirely fitness related so my hurdles are injury/illness and weather.

My favourite activity is walking outdoors and that isn't going to be possible very soon as temperatures drop. I'm not interested in a treadmill.

I also do weight lifting and sometimes have to give it up for a while or do very modified lifting for periods of illness or injury.
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Stress. Pure and simple. It makes my healthy habits go out the window, by either overindulging on junk food or just not eating very much. Either way I lose the motivation/energy I need for healthy stuff like yoga or walking around the block.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Medical condition
    Xellercin wrote: »

I LOVE THIS!!! Can I nick it as my motivational saying from here on in? That's just so spot on. I can't believe how simple, but how easily missed, that objective is...!

Go nuts.

It's a very simple concept, but it takes constant commitment. The world doesn't make it easy or intuitive to put ones health and well being first. So it takes a bit of a radical spirit to staunchly commit to doing so.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    My goals are entirely fitness related so my hurdles are injury/illness and weather.

My favourite activity is walking outdoors and that isn't going to be possible very soon as temperatures drop. I'm not interested in a treadmill.

There is no reason you can't continue to walk, even if it is cold. With the right clothes and shoes/boots, you can walk outdoors even in very cold temps. If you get a lot of snow where you live, then invest in snowshoes or x-country skis.