High Fiber Diet

Options
sylviasrd35
sylviasrd35 Posts: 2 Member
Help , I need food plans for high fiber meals.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Eat more whole plant foods. Increase gradually to avoid digestive issues.
  • HerbsandMore
    HerbsandMore Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have a diet I know fruits, veggies, beans and legumes are all high fiber foods.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I don't have and don't know of any high fibre meal plans, but I do know what I do: I mainly eat frozen vegetables and self-cooked soybeans and when I want to use a thickener, I use a combination of psyllium and xanthan. That seems to work relatively well. My lowest fibre intake this week was 35 g and the highest was 51 g. This was a typical week. I had outliers in both directions this month, with two days of a mere 25 g and one day of 52 g. So, I would not call my meals high-fibre, but when one looks at the recommendations, I seem to be on the higher side of those.

By the way, do not use psyllium and xanthan to combat hunger. Test data shows fibre does (almost) nothing for that. You should not "eat fibre", but "products that contain fibre". If you are trying to lose weight as well, you should not only look at fibre content but also at calories. Don't be fooled by things that seem self-evident. For example, zucchini and daikon, often praised for how low-calorie they are, are also very low in fibre.

When there is a high-fibre claim, I always look at the calories and quantities as well: how many calories/quantities do I have to consume of a food, in order to get the recommended fibre?
    For example: at my age it is recommended to consume at least 30 g of fibre. 30 g of fibre stands for 3 kg zucchini and 510 kcal. I do not think that is particularly realistic. Leeks would give me 30 g of fibre for 1.67 kg and 1017 kcal. I think that nicely explains why I use soybeans as well and not tofu (which is very low in fibre since most of it is removed by processing).
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oats are good, porridge or overnight oats with some fruit for breakfast would be a great start.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You'll want to increase your fiber gradually...making big jumps overnight is likely to cause some pretty intense digestive issues. I don't know of any food plans, but the biggest bang for your fiber buck is going to be increased consumption of oats and other whole grains, beans and lentils, etc. Fruit and veg are also decent sources of fiber, however, outside of a few, most fruits and veg don't hold a candle to whole grains, legumes, and lentils in regards to fiber content.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited October 2022
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Fruit and veg are also decent sources of fiber, however, outside of a few, most fruits and veg don't hold a candle to whole grains, legumes, and lentils in regards to fiber content.
    For someone who is trying to lose weight, it might be a good idea to look at the fibre/calorie ratio. That should dispell any illusions about some foods claimed to be full of fibre.

• dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to slowly increase my fiber by including some “higher than my usual” fiber meals/side dishes throughout the week. They may not be the highest fiber things out there. But every little bit helps. Here are some things I have recently tied:
    http://echopaul.blogspot.com/2014/12/baked-oatmeal-casserole.html
    https://heysnickerdoodle.com/coffee-overnight-oats/
    https://natashaskitchen.com/chickpea-salad-recipe/
    https://crockpotladies.com/crockpot-quinoa-bean-soup/?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=grow-social-plugin
    https://crockpotladies.com/crockpot-pesto-bean-soup/?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=grow-social-plugin
    Mixing a ½ cup of cooked lentils into a pot of soup.
    Replaced sugary breakfast cereals with higher fiber ones.
    Committed to having a veggie with every lunch and dinner. Even if it’s just a can of green beans or a bag of frozen steamable broccoli.
    Brown rice or quinoa instead of white rice.
    Whole wheat pasta instead of plain.
    Switched out chips and dip for hummus and whole wheat pita bread.
    Adding black beans in wherever I can (tacos, salads, soups)
    Air popped popcorn with salt
    I also add a Tablespoon of ground flax seed into whatever fruit smoothie I was making, meatloaf, meatballs, or the breading for chicken parm.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Whole fruits and vegetables. Eat a date or two as a substitute when you'd usually grab for a chocolate or something else sweet. Whole grain breads, if you're going to eat bread. Plan your meals around lentils and beans, vegetables, and winter squashes. Highly refined/processed grains won't give you any meaningful fiber, nor will meat or dairy. Cook your own oatmeal from scratch. Snack on raw fruits and vegetables, and nuts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it wouldn't work for everyone, but I make it a point to strive for 10 or more 80-gram servings of fruit and veggies daily (for reasons besides fiber). With that alongside normal-for-me eating to get adequate protein and fats, I don't need to pay any attention to fiber goal at all. (Now, in maintenance, a normal day is around 40-60g of fiber.)

Absolutely increase fiber gradually, and make sure to get adequate fats and hydration alongside. Adaptation to fiber is gradual, if you want to avoid various forms of digestive distress; and the fats/fluids will help ensure . . . adequate throughput.

Fruit and veg are also decent sources of fiber, however, outside of a few, most fruits and veg don't hold a candle to whole grains, legumes, and lentils in regards to fiber content.
    For someone who is trying to lose weight, it might be a good idea to look at the fibre/calorie ratio. That should dispell any illusions about some foods claimed to be full of fibre.

That's one way to look at it, for any nutrient one is trying to increase within limited calories.

I feel like it's a little more problematic for fiber, which - in itself - is pretty much zero calories. Because of that, it can make sense to compare alternative foods one likes, and would eat for other reasons.

For example, there's relatively little nutritional or calorie difference between white rice and brown rice. If either are reasonably enjoyable to the individual, it would make sense to choose the brown rice when trying to increase fiber, even though it's only around an extra gram of fiber per serving (minor), and the calories per gram of fiber are stupid high.

Any calorie neutral swap that is pleasant enough, and adds a little fiber, is going to contribute to a better all-day total. Some veggies, breads, fruits, etc., have more fiber than others. If you like two alternatives reasonably equally, choose the one with more fiber more often.

Regularly reviewing one's diary makes this kind of thinking pretty easy: What are you eating that has quite a few calories, relatively little fiber? Is there some other food you like that could play a similar role in your day, that has more fiber? Make that swap in your routine eating patterns. Rinse and repeat, and fiber intake will gradually increase and become habit.

For clarity, I'd personally skip rice altogether on limited calories because it's just OK to me, not wonderful. But it's an easy example of the principle I'm describing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I'm not really sure what this means. I try to get in at least 30 grams of fiber daily and that would be pretty difficult I think with low calorie fruits and veg that typically have a gram or two per serving. I personally don't find beans to be particularly calorie dense or anything either, and those types of things can be a meal. A frequent lunch of mine is two bean burritos which total right around 500 calories give or take that also come with 22 grams of protein and 16 grams of fiber...IMO a perfectly reasonable meal and I'm over 50% of my fiber target with just lunch, along with a solid protein figure.

Also, at least on US labels, fiber is included in the total carb count and thus the calories even though fiber isn't actually providing caloric energy. If I deduct the fiber, the calories would be less, but I don't have the patience for that kind of minutia.

I suppose one caveat here would be that I lose on average one pound per week eating 2300-2500 calories per day...so a bowl of oats in the morning at 160 calories and a couple of bean burritos for lunch at around 500 calories is only around 1/4 of my calorie target but at around 70% of my fiber target and around 30% of my minimum protein target.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm sure it wouldn't work for everyone, but I make it a point to strive for 10 or more 80-gram servings of fruit and veggies daily (for reasons besides fiber). With that alongside normal-for-me eating to get adequate protein and fats, I don't need to pay any attention to fiber goal at all. (Now, in maintenance, a normal day is around 40-60g of fiber.)

Absolutely increase fiber gradually, and make sure to get adequate fats and hydration alongside. Adaptation to fiber is gradual, if you want to avoid various forms of digestive distress; and the fats/fluids will help ensure . . . adequate throughput.

That's one way to look at it, for any nutrient one is trying to increase within limited calories.

I feel like it's a little more problematic for fiber, which - in itself - is pretty much zero calories. Because of that, it can make sense to compare alternative foods one likes, and would eat for other reasons.

For example, there's relatively little nutritional or calorie difference between white rice and brown rice. If either are reasonably enjoyable to the individual, it would make sense to choose the brown rice when trying to increase fiber, even though it's only around an extra gram of fiber per serving (minor), and the calories per gram of fiber are stupid high.

Any calorie neutral swap that is pleasant enough, and adds a little fiber, is going to contribute to a better all-day total. Some veggies, breads, fruits, etc., have more fiber than others. If you like two alternatives reasonably equally, choose the one with more fiber more often.

Regularly reviewing one's diary makes this kind of thinking pretty easy: What are you eating that has quite a few calories, relatively little fiber? Is there some other food you like that could play a similar role in your day, that has more fiber? Make that swap in your routine eating patterns. Rinse and repeat, and fiber intake will gradually increase and become habit.

For clarity, I'd personally skip rice altogether on limited calories because it's just OK to me, not wonderful. But it's an easy example of the principle I'm describing.
    Indeed. The difference between white rice and brown rice is essentially negligible. I happen to love good quality white rice but it was an easy thing to abstain from once I found out that abstaining helped reduce the pain, the nausea and the vomiting I always had when trying to lose weight. Same is true for white/brown bread. The difference between them is also minimal. I always baked my own bread because I found the grocery-store bread at Loblaws positively disgusting because of the escessive amounts of added sugar, oil and salt, but I gave up bread for the same reason I gave up rice, lentils, most beans and starchy vegetables. I only still eat soybeans and lupini beans because they have both protein that has one of the more adequate amino acid distributions and because they are supposed to have less digestible carbs. Unfortunately, those are not much more than guesses. While all natural products will have natural variation, the data on lupini beans vary so widely that it is beyond ridiculous.

As for little to no calories in fibre, that is more controversial than is usually thought. We cannot (or almost not) digest fibre, that much is certain. What we don't know, is how much energy we get from fibre via our intestinal bacteria.

So, I count the fibre anyway, but that is just me. The difference would not be enormous either way, given the minimal amount of fibre we consume. For example, today, my fibre intake is 43. That is 172 kcal. We can reasonably assume the energy actually taken up is going to be lower, but even if we count is as 0, which is definitely wrong, it really does not make all that much of a difference, and I simply take it as a little extra weight loss. Not much, at 172 kcal, I have to keep this up for 44 days to make a difference of 1 kg.

It is said that North Americans consume even less fibre, around 15 g. *IF* that is the case, the difference between counting and not counting fibre calories is 60 kcal, which means one would have to do the same thing for 128 days or a little over 3 months to make a difference of 1 kg.

• BartBVanBockstaele
    Options

I'm not really sure what this means.
    The problem is largely one of language: what does "full of fibre" mean?
    It is a claim that is often made, but nobody has defined what that means, so it is meaningless.
    For example, leeks are sometimes claimed to be full of fibre. They contain 1.8 g per 100 g and that represents 61 kcal.

Assuming that someone needs 30 g fibre and 2000 kcal a day. That means this person should consume 30/1.8*100 g of leeks to achieve that number, which means 1.67 kg. I don't think that is particularly realistic, but it is also only 1000 kcal. So, while not realistic, it is at least possible.
    Source: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/169246/nutrients
    Unfortunately, there is a catch and that may or may not be important, namely that this portion only provides you with 25 g of protein.

Let's take a popular food item, almonds.
    30/12.5*100 g = 240 g. That would give you 1390 kcal. It would also give you 50.88 g protein. In other words, while a more varied diet would certainly be better, it provides enough fibre and enough protein.
    Source: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/174290/nutrients

Another popular one is tofu.
    30/1*100 g = 3000 g = 3 kg. That would give you 2490 kcal and a whopping 300 g of protein. In other words, this food is so poor in fibre that you must use another food to compensate.
    https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/174290/nutrients

The easiest way to work with fibre-calorie density is to first determine what you need. In the example: 30 g for a 2000 kcal diet, or 2000/30 = 67. Anything that is higher than that, does not contain enough fibre. Anything that is less, does contain enough fibre.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

It is a claim that is often made, but nobody has defined what that means, so it is meaningless.
    For example, leeks are sometimes claimed to be full of fibre. They contain 1.8 g per 100 g and that represents 61 kcal.

Assuming that someone needs 30 g fibre and 2000 kcal a day. That means this person should consume 30/1.8*100 g of leeks to achieve that number, which means 1.67 kg. I don't think that is particularly realistic, but it is also only 1000 kcal. So, while not realistic, it is at least possible.
    Unfortunately, there is a catch and that may or may not be important, namely that this portion only provides you with 25 g of protein.

30/12.5*100 g = 240 g. That would give you 1390 kcal. It would also give you 50.88 g protein. In other words, while a more varied diet would certainly be better, it provides enough fibre and enough protein.

30/1*100 g = 3000 g = 3 kg. That would give you 2490 kcal and a whopping 300 g of protein. In other words, this food is so poor in fibre that you must use another food to compensate.

The easiest way to work with fibre-calorie density is to first determine what you need. In the example: 30 g for a 2000 kcal diet, or 2000/30 = 67. Anything that is higher than that, does not contain enough fibre. Anything that is less, does contain enough fibre.

To the bolded, I disagree. If you look at all nutrients that way, it's too complicated. Obviously, your mileage varies.

Let's keep a focus on OP's question, though: How to get more (enough) fiber . . . not on theories of nutrition, mine or yours. Mono diets are irrelevant. No sane person will eat that way. Even analytically . . . why?

Let's don't focus on rhetoric ("what does 'full of fiber (fibre)' mean?"). Let's focus on helping OP get enough fiber.

OP: Veggies, fruits, whole grains: Increase them, gradually.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited November 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

To the bolded, I disagree. If you look at all nutrients that way, it's too complicated. Obviously, your mileage varies.

Let's keep a focus on OP's question, though: How to get more (enough) fiber . . . not on theories of nutrition, mine or yours. Mono diets are irrelevant. No sane person will eat that way. Even analytically . . . why?

Let's don't focus on rhetoric ("what does 'full of fiber (fibre)' mean?"). Let's focus on helping OP get enough fiber.

OP: Veggies, fruits, whole grains: Increase them, gradually.
    I was merely trying to answer @cwolfman13's question, but you are right. That said, I think it is easier to add fibre, even gradually, if there is a high concentration of fibre in a food. Someone who tries to up her/his fibre intake by eating fish would make a mistake, since there is no fibre in fish, but someone trying to eat tofu because it is a plant food and because it is often touted as a health food, is essentially also making a mistake, since there is almost nothing in it.

As the French say: "Du choc des idées jaillit la lumière". My method(s), may not be pleasant for everyone, and that is fine, there are very few absolutes in life and this is most definitely not one of them, but then, what specific suggestion(s) do you have?

Whole grains, for example, do not all contain that much fibre, with brown rice being a great example of that, despite the fact that it is often touted as such.

In my opinion, this would be a great place to add them.

I should add that if the original poster lives in Europe, her task is a lot simpler, since nutrition labels are normalised to 100 grammes.

Here is an older, but great video about fibre on Youtube by a professor of nutrition at the University of California, Katie Ferraro:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtnTuTX4L24

• angeauclaire8
    angeauclaire8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lunch was a big salad with romaine, tomato, cucumber, carrot, bright bell peppers, onions, protein of your choice/ I use turkey breast from Sam's club, 6oz. I top with an oz of feta cheese, 4 green olives chopped or a tbsp of capers, and 1 tbsp each of balsamic vinegar and an oil like olive oil or flax oil. I season the salad with tons of cracked black pepper. Dinner was 2 toast of ezekial bread, 1/2 an avocado, lots more raw veggies, 2 over easy eggs, a can of tuna mixed with 1tbsp miracle whip. My total fiber for the day was over 25g. You could always add in more fiber with fruits like a big apple, beans, hummus, oats, high fiber cereal like all bran. Just a couple ideas.
  • H1L5
    H1L5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Hi I do a high fibre diet roughly based on the F Plan diet. F Plan dates back to the 80s and the recipes are very old fashioned but I think the theory is sound and I use the fibre mix recipe to up my fibre. I try for 30g. If I eat carbs I eat wholefood. So, wholegrain rice and pasta, skin on potatoes and wholemeal bread. Also high fibre fruits eg raspberries pears pulses and veg. You don't get hungry on high fibre. I'm at my target weight now. I've lost 32 pounds and weigh 133 pounds. So for me its worked. I found this meal plan that might help. https://www.eatingwell.com/article/289462/7-day-high-fiber-meal-plan-1200-calories/