Just started my diet but got sick. Any suggestions on food?

Options
I can only stomach water, noodles, and Coke (specifically Coke, no other sugary drink).

I’m aware these foods are not good for me. What foods can I eat being sick? I have a cold with a fever. Thanks.

Replies

• delillolauren
    delillolauren Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t worry about it right now. Just try and stay hydrated and feel better soon.
    When I’m sick I make poached eggs on toast, it’s childhood comfort food for me. Also chicken noodle soup is always welcomed.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Sympathize with the coke. I had mine all last week(first cold in years and I took it hard). Feeling better this week, so back to water.
    I also had soup, mild chili, baked potato, and crackers(I hate crackers, but calm an upset tummy). I ate below calorie goal and lost a little weight, but not on purpose. Ate all I wanted all week. Didn’t have much appetite.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Tomato or chicken soup or soft boiled eggs were always my sick foods growing up.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Eat and drink whatever you can keep down. So if it's just water, noodles, and Coke for a while, that's fine. You might try mint- or ginger-based herbal tea. Crackers, toast, gelatine (like Jello), broth, and clear soups are typically well tolerated by people with nausea. Once you can keep those down, maybe try bananas, poached or soft-boiled eggs, and cooked cereal (e.g., cream of wheat, cream of rice).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Yeah, I just eat what I feel like eating when I'm sick. For me sometimes that's a root beer float...maybe you could add some butter to your noodles for some fat? That would help your digestion and fat is important.

I hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I try to make sure I'm getting a good mix of macros. It's easy to eat just carbs (noodles, or buttered rice, toast, etc.). By all means, if you are having trouble keeping stuff down, eat whatever you can keep down.

Drink more than you think you need to - even if it's coke, but ideally try to get some water (or gatorade/electrolyte drink).

I try to grab some meal replacement shakes like in the pharmacy section (like Ensure Plus) to make sure I'm still getting calories with some protein (or I grab some protein bars with a good amount of calories). It's easy to have something small like the Ensure, but at least you can get like 300 cals with protein too and it goes down quick.

Hope you get better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The aim is to get better and stay hydrated...when I'm sick I've never worried about ermergerd is this healthy? When I'm down for the count I typically eat a lot of ramen as that is what I can stomach and it also provides fluids and electrolytes.

By the by, I eat noodles and pasta all of the time...there's nothing inherently unhealthy about noodles. They're just a starch.
  • Lori11223344
    Lori11223344 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Uggh. I just got over a stomach virus, and similar- keep hydrated with whatever you can keep down. I had gingerale, chicken broth and crackers and kept myself out of hospital. I probably lost more water weight in the days I was sick, but hydration put me back on track, 2 lbs in the last week of real loss.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    If you're sick then eat what you manage to keep down. With my last stomach bug I lived of some odd cactus fruit flavoured soda that I normally hate, black liquorice, soft rolls and minced, spicy meat I put on said buns.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question. Hope you're feeling better, and I hear things go better with coke. Cheers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When I’m sick it seems like I drink gallons of tea and eat quarts of spicy Asian soup. Often with noodles!