Dieting and Depression - Feeling low

Options
2»

Replies

• keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I suspect you may not be eating enough. If you're exercising and only eating 1,200 calories a day, there is a good chance you're not eating enough. I'd check the goals portion of myfitnesspal and fill it out so that you're losing at most 1 pound a week. I know the usual maximum recommended weight loss goal is 2 pounds a week, but since you're having a problem with depression, go for one pound per week.. Since your exercise, make sure to eat your exercise calories. If you do all of those things and you're still feeling down, talk to your doctor about whether you're clinically depressed. If so, medication or therapy are often helpful.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try taking some Omega-3 pills, and walk/hike outside. :flowerforyou:
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think u might need to supplement your diet with vitamin b complex, calcium, and niacin. You might bot be getting these dieting. For that reason alone, you could begin to suffer from depression. Get online and look up supplements to help with depression. I did and I'm starting to feel more normal again. Good luck!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Since I have been dieting around 3 months ago I cant seem to shake off feeling low and isolated. I have suffered from depression before (a really bad spell of depression a few years ago) but have since come off medication and been relatively normal until now.

The odd thing is that I am exercising loads, eating as 'well' as I can and not drinking that much. So technically I should be well??

Should I try and eat more foods that help with depression, or should I increase my calorie intake (im on 1200). Has anyone else experienced the same thing and can advise?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't been on my meds since about 2 weeks before my surgery on June 1...and I feel GREAT!! But, mine gets really bad in the late fall/winter time. I guess I have that seasonal thing? I am worried about that already ~ but hoping to be able to stay off my meds. I started getting reaaaaalllly shaky hands from my medications ~ to the point I was thinking I was getting parkinsons. It was really scary.

Sometimes working out doesn't help it go away. Have you tried just getting out and sitting in the sun on a daily basis? There is a herbal supplement that is supposed to do wonders called 5HTP, too...maybe you can take a low dosage of that during your down times?
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Are you the member of a gym that offers group exercise classes? I teach and attend a few classes each week, and I always leave class on a high from the exercise and the social contact mix. (I've been battling depression for a few years. Still on low doses of medication for it.) I make an effort to strike up conversation or banter with other people between songs or sets of exercises. Mostly complaining about how much the instructor is making us work, haha.
    If you are used to working out alone with you iPod, you might try a group class or two to mix it up. I never did them until this year, and I LOVE them! For so many reasons.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Are you the member of a gym that offers group exercise classes? I teach and attend a few classes each week, and I always leave class on a high from the exercise and the social contact mix. (I've been battling depression for a few years. Still on low doses of medication for it.) I make an effort to strike up conversation or banter with other people between songs or sets of exercises. Mostly complaining about how much the instructor is making us work, haha.
    If you are used to working out alone with you iPod, you might try a group class or two to mix it up. I never did them until this year, and I LOVE them! For so many reasons.

I could'nt agree w/ you more, except --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/329668-why-not-more-men-in-group-fitness-classes