Sugar Addict

Options
2»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I actually think the sugar addiction argument has improved on MFP. When I joined in 2014, it was an absolute land mine and people came down HARD on anyone using the words "sugar addiction." I have always been adverse to asking questions here because of blowhards who beat you over the head when things aren't worded correctly, or God forbid, you've labored under some wrong nutrition/dieting information. That's why the kind posters really are to be appreciated.

Then again, the forums just seem so boring these days. Maybe that's part of things being "nicer." LOL.
  • denise654
    denise654 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! It’s a hard thing and for me it just came down to willpower to say NO and to have other, more healthy things ready to eat. I have loved sugar my whole life ( I won’t make a list of the wonderfully tasty treats I have indulged in my whole life, but believe me this list is long). Somehow, I haven’t had anything with sugar for the last 6 weeks. The only thing I allow myself at this point is a few dates and that usually does it. The dates are amazing. Never had a date before in my life, but they are now my go to if I want something sweet.
  • lornamarie57
    lornamarie57 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had similar habits before I started. Something that has helped, in addition to buying Halloween or lunch snacks I dislike, is buying some chocolate that I can eat in moderation and be happy with. I buy Brookside Dark chocolate acai and blueberries and dark chocolate covered dried mangos. Its about 170 cals for a serving and I have a full serving. When I first started I had it every afternoon. I ate it slowly around 3pm and it satisfied the craving without turning into more.
    I agree that it sounds like keto might not be sustainable for you. It isn't sustainable for me either. I'm not willing to give up carbs forever. That's just not me.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    See a therapist and a dietitian to help you. The dietitian can give you advice on sugar. The therapist can help you to find other coping mechanisms than eating sugar. I doubt you have an addiction. More like a habit.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    See a therapist and a dietitian to help you. The dietitian can give you advice on sugar. The therapist can help you to find other coping mechanisms than eating sugar. I doubt you have an addiction. More like a habit.

Came to say something similar. I was in a similar position with a soda habit. I started drinking seltzers in place of my daily sodas to get the fizziness, and now I don't even miss them or think about them. The key is to either try to train yourself to eat a small/moderate portion of sweets (1 Klondike bar, for instance, always worked for me) or abstaining for awhile. Of course, if you don't have it in the house at all, or buy some fruit instead to help manage the sweet tooth, makes things a little easier