What's The Need For Veggies and Fruit Anymore?

Options
EDesq
EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
I'm sitting here and just wondering, "Why do we need veggies and fruit in tour diet, today's world?"
* We can get sufficient (more than sufficient) vitamins and minerals from Supplements;
* We now have access to water, where normally a third of our intake would come from veggies and fruit;
* We used to need the "bulk" that they provided to help us have bowel movements, now we have Grains and Supplements... ;
* And we know that a "normal" diet can not supply all the nutrients needed, so why not take Supplements.

SO, other than the fact that their production has become another marketing "PLOY," I LIKE Them and they add a "filler" in a lower calorie eating plan...BUT there is actually NO NEED for them.

What's your Opinion?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can get the same nutrition from supplements as you get from the real thing. That is just my opinion.:happy:
  • andreacord
    Options
    I don't think you can get the same nutrition from supplements as you get from the real thing. That is just my opinion.:happy:
    Yeah I have to agree, I mostly use them as a filler though.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, we are by no means healthier than we used to be, humans are diseased and why do you think that is?? Um the food.
  • farrellb2
    Options
    The veggies help trim your waist line better...or so I've heard
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Why race in circles and $$$ trying to mimic the good food nutrition nature can provide you?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

This.

Fruits and veggies have nutrients that interact with each other in special ways that pure supplements can't. The scientists don't have all the answers.

Just this week they found that white-fleshed fruits decrease your stroke risk. Why? No idea.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I wonder the same thing sometimes. I mean, I use my Amazing Grass supplement and it says to have much of all of what I need in a daily diet, and to be quite honest it saves me from washing dirt off of my vegetables and running to eat them before they spoil.

Go easy on me; single mom, full-time therapist, busy schedule - I'm all about freshness and the like but if I can get it all in a supplement, I'm for it.

:drinker:
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Science cannot reproduce what nature does best.
    It probably (wait, I'm going to go with definitely) makes your body work harder to chew, swallow and digest an orange than it does swallowing a pill with some water - so in the long run it'd be better for your body to keep working by eating the real deal.
    Yeah?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    ....'cause fruits and veggies taste good, occur in nature, and you need calories to live anyway?
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    Back in the day when people ate fruits, veggies less processed food were not OBESE!!!
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Because fruit and veggies taste delicious and supplements taste like ****! This is one reason.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when people ate fruits, veggies less processed food were not OBESE!!!
    YES!!!!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess people could just take a bunch of pills or supplements, but what's the fun in that? Apples, strawberries, grapes and bananas are among my favorites & are tasty & nutritious. And I've come to appreciate the crunch of a nice tossed salad. Can't put that in a bottle.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I take it you are joking??
    If not, then you are the manufacturing industry's dream consumer..... may I interest you in a bridge I have for sale???
  • greej
    greej Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that science knows 100% what is in each and every vegetable and fruit, and can replicate this into an easily-digestible pill that suits every person on earth?

...Why make supplements when you can just eat food?
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options

This ^^^ also...At least in my case I'll say I'm not a person that normally monitors sodium in my diet because I'm healthy but during my first pregnancy I ended up having a c-section 'cause of high blood preassure. Veggies and fruit are very low in sodium. I'm stuggling to stay under the 2,500 sodium a day, the only way I can do it is with veggies and fruit. Proccessed foods have way too much. I might end up changing my whole way of eating after pregnancy for good anyway to keep healthy.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Science cannot reproduce what nature does best.
    It probably (wait, I'm going to go with definitely) makes your body work harder to chew, swallow and digest an orange than it does swallowing a pill with some water - so in the long run it'd be better for your body to keep working by eating the real deal.
    Yeah?

YEAH. I kinda can't believe anyone is asking this. This reminds me of mid-(20th)century sci-fi modernism - like it's some kind of futuristic dream to get our nutrients from pills and gels, like the astronauts!! Oh, and a steak!!

There's actually scientific understanding about this, and you might look some of that up (on real sites like WebMD or National Institutes of Health, not just Google...). For one thing, and in brief, the beneficial phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals in produce often occur in complementary combinations and yes, they are actually better absorbed as whole foods.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I take it you are joking??
    If not, then you are the manufacturing industry's dream consumer..... may I interest you in a bridge I have for sale???

HAHA - what she said!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Supplements/vitamins tend to upset my stomach. Maybe I haven't tried the right ones, but I think I'd rather stick with food.
  • shadowfx
    Options
    Personally I prefer to get my antioxidants etc fresh, which is why i grow my own fruit and veg as much as possible. I'd much rather go cut a fresh lettuce and some tomatoes and pick some cherries or strawberries in my own back yard than go down to the supermarket or healthstore and buy 3 day old produce or a bottle of synthesized nutrients - where's the enjoyment in that?

My insides prefer natural foods to processed ones, they are so much easier to digest. Half the reason I"m the size I am is because of my former addiction to processed carbs and salt, so by eating as close to natural as I can works for me. Give me a baked sweet potato and a couple of slices of wholemeal bread - I'll choose the sweet potato every time.

Also, supplements are freakin' expensive! For the cost of a bottle of mutivitamins I can grow a whole garden bed full of fresh produce, and get a lot more enjoyment out of it. Did our ancestors have access to bottles of supplements? No. They had to live on roots, leaves, grains and berries and whatever meat they could catch. They were stronger than we are today and more active, and diabetes, hypertension, allergies etc all didn't exist.

Sorry about the lengthy diatribe, but this is a touchy subject for me :o)

Ok, rant over xx