generally how many pounds = a dress size???

Options
Just wondering if anybody could help me with my question?! thanks! :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the body type. Height and weight.:smile:
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    What a fun idea to try and calculate. lol.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Good question, I've lost 32lbs and I don't think I've lost a pant size yet. I've gone down a size in shirts, but I am still wearing the same pants I did 32lbs ago...
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    For me, it's every 10-15 pounds. I'm 5'9".
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Impossible to tell. Sometimes I lose pounds and not inches, sometimes I lose inches and not pounds, sometimes I lose both.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    more when youre heavier, less when youre closer to your goals.

When I started losing, it was almost 20 lbs before I dropped a size. Now only 5-8 lbs causes a new size.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on what sizes. It seems to take a lot of pounds to move between the larger sizes, but not so much between the smaller sizes.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    its all about your measurements and isn't really related to pounds

Most models are size 2-4 (please note: this is a REAL 2 to 4, and not vanity sizing, like Banana Republic, JCrew, the Gap, etc). They are usually something like 34-24-34
  • UCONNCOED
    UCONNCOED Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Oprah Once said (as a general rule)....

If you are working out/toning and dieting = 10 lbs for each pant/clothes size

If you are just dieting= 15 lbs for each pant/clothes size

I have never tested the theory but its a nice general guess
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 lbs and I've gone down 3.5 dress sizes. Might be more like 4 sizes actually because I was kind of stuffing myself into a size 22... :blushing:
  • virgdugas
    virgdugas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always thought is was about 10 lbs but for me it was more 15lbs. I'm now down to 2 sizes (from 12 to 8, I'm 5'7)
  • IrisGarcia86
    IrisGarcia86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 25lbs and I went down 2-3(depending on clothing item) sizes.
  • brit7880
    brit7880 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    it took me about 25 pounds to drop my first size and then 15 to drop a second size. It really does vary on how much you weigh, how tall you are, ect.. but trust me just keep working out and eating healthy and you will see a difference! It is sooo exciting to wear smaller clothes!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Good question, I've lost 32lbs and I don't think I've lost a pant size yet. I've gone down a size in shirts, but I am still wearing the same pants I did 32lbs ago...

I wore the same pants for nearly that many pounds of loss BUT they had been really tight and sitting at my natural waist (narrowest part) and I wore them until they were sitting around under my belly button - they were baggy but I could still wear em.

Traded them in finally for new pants and I'd say I'm down 2 sizes - but it was wierd because I went from Lane Bryant pants to a regular store and stuff at Lane bryant is sized differently, so a size 14 there would fit but a size 16 in a regular store would barely fit (and look terrible because it was designed for someone taller). so I went from a "14" to a 12 but I think of it as 2 sizes really, because I would have been wearing 16s if I wasn't at LB.

Supposedly the basic rule of thumb is 15 lbs per dress size but it REALLY Depends a lot.

Also for some things its like - if my belly shrunk as fast as my hips/thighs/butt I'd be in a size 10 now, but instead i'm wearing 12s
  • suzieq5688
    Options
    I've lost 35 lbs and went from a 14 to 10 in pants but only from a large to medium in shirts. It really depends on your body type. Keep track of your measurements too because inches make a big difference too..
  • courtney_leigh09
    courtney_leigh09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! :) im 5'4 and 235 pounds. I started eating healthy and working out about 2 weeks ago. the main reason i was wondering im getting married next summer i already ordered my dress -- about 2 months ago at that point i was just shy of an 18 so thats what ordered it in..and they can only alter it to a 14 without ruining the dress soo i just thought i would get some feedback from everyone ..thanks again! everybody really helpful
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! :) im 5'4 and 235 pounds. I started eating healthy and working out about 2 weeks ago. the main reason i was wondering im getting married next summer i already ordered my dress -- about 2 months ago at that point i was just shy of an 18 so thats what ordered it in..and they can only alter it to a 14 without ruining the dress soo i just thought i would get some feedback from everyone ..thanks again! everybody really helpful

Can you un-order it and send it back? next summer is a LONg time from now, if you stick with this and are committed you will possibly be smaller than an 14
  • courtney_leigh09
    courtney_leigh09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i dont think so :( im going t have to ask if there are any other options
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I was a size 18 when I started and have lost 33 pounds and went to a size 12/14. It has taken me a year to get here though, so who knows where you will be. I'd rather be stuck with a dress that I can't wear and have to buy a new one in a size 8 for my big day! :bigsmile:
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I wore size 12 skinny jeans, now 43.5 pounds later I'm wearing size 8 skinnys.
    I was wearing XL shirts, now I can fit into Larges very comfortable (loose!), some mediums, and even got a small shirt at Old Navy :) I have nice sized girls so I'm used to wearing larger size shirts, I hate tight shirts.

Honestly, it varies by store and what kind of clothes they are. I refuse to buy ANYTHING XL now though, I'm just not an XL girl anymore.. if it doesn't fit in a size smaller in an XL, it's not meant for me. Some styles and clothing stores are just weird with their sizes!