Cheat Meal/Day: Myth or Fact

Options
2»

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    If you turn your device in landscape mode, you should see more info per meal and food item.
    Never thought of that!

Just tried it. It's unusable though. The fixed parts of the screen fill 90% of the screen, and it's almost impossible to see or scroll through the actual entries as a result.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    If you turn your device in landscape mode, you should see more info per meal and food item.
    Never thought of that!

Just tried it. It's unusable though. The fixed parts of the screen fill 90% of the screen, and it's almost impossible to see or scroll through the actual entries as a result.

It varies from device to device I'm guessing, I can see three lines of data myself (but it used to be better before the new layout with the curved menu)
  • MeMeImABigFatBoi
    Options
    Jeff Nippard has a really good video on cheat meals and diet breaks. You should look it up on youtube, especially if you're lifting weights on your diet. (I would post the link here but idk if youtube links will get spam blocked)

I lost a bit over 20lb in a few months over the summer while lifting every second day. Initially I was eating a strict 2300 calories a day. In the middle of the summer, I hit a plateau, thinking the problem was too many calories I started to eat less but nothing changed.

I fixed this plateau by counter-intuitively eating 3000+ calories a day for a week, and actually ended up losing weight at the end of that week. I had gotten a blood test at the beginning of that week and it came back saying my thyroid was apparently underactive.

After that I decided to implement "re-feeds" on my weekends as Jeff suggests in his video, eating more on the weekends than during the week, and I didn't run into another plateau. Never got my bloodwork done again but I would expect my thyroid has probably recovered.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Feel free to post the video @MeMeImABigFatBoi

I looked on his channel and there's at least a couple that could be the one you refer to.
  • Lori11223344
    Lori11223344 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    why are you saying ONLY 10lb?

10 lb in 7 weeks seems very good pace, especially for someone who only had 30 lb to lose.

I didn't say that.

I am very happy to have lost 10 lbs in 7 weeks. I am trying to not make it seem so daunting to myself by saying I have ONLY 20 more to lose. Because really, 20 more seems like a lot, and as someone else said, those last 20 can be stubborn. It will bring me back to a weight I have not been in about 8 years. And yes, this is chapter 2. Last fall I lost the first 18 lbs (out of almost 50 I need to shed) and kept it off until now. This year, if I can make it to 20 more (38 total) and keep that off, I will be so pleased, and maybe my blood pressure will go down. After that, its just another 10 and that might be chapter 3 to complete the whole 48 lb loss from where I started in Sept, 2021

• RichGS23
    RichGS23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I personally do not believe in a cheat meal or day. I think if you're clever enough you can maintain a calorie deficit without having to sacrifice everything. For example I had over 600 extra calories one day through extra training, so that evening I had a small piece of cake. I didn't take it as a cheat meal as I earnt it.

If you want the sweeter things in life, just offset it with a little more exercise. I've lost almost 9kg in 8 weeks (19lbs) through keeping strict and focused but still reminding myself that if I've put in the effort and lost the calories, I can have a little treat.

The biggest thing to remember is we're all built differently and different things work for us.
  • MeMeImABigFatBoi
    Options
    This is the video I was talking about :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HVdLMnr40M

It obviously depends how much you train (I would lift 3-4 times a week and then do a couple hours of sports after each session), but I was honestly shocked how easily I killed my metabolism, only took about a month even while eating 2300 calories a day (which I had initially thought was way too much for a diet).

I think I may have a genetic propensity for low metabolism/thyroid function, as the rest of my family is pretty overweight so don't let this scare you. But yeah if you hit a plateau despite knowing you are doing enough work, this may be the problem.
  • Lori11223344
    Lori11223344 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I fixed this plateau by counter-intuitively eating 3000+ calories a day for a week, and actually ended up losing weight at the end of that week. I had gotten a blood test at the beginning of that week and it came back saying my thyroid was apparently underactive.

After that I decided to implement "re-feeds" on my weekends as Jeff suggests in his video, eating more on the weekends than during the week, and I didn't run into another plateau. Never got my bloodwork done again but I would expect my thyroid has probably recovered.

It is, in fact a method that many dieticians will recommend when weight loss has stalled in otherwise healthy younger (under 50) people. Working with people who were starving, I often saw thyroid function suppressed (underactive) while they were starving, but most recovered healthy thyroid function once they were able to eat more and restore their body weight. Some did not recover, whether that was due to underlying thyroid disease, or whether the hypocaloric diets they had been following had permanently impaired their thyroid, is a subject for more research.