Dating a guy who doesn’t workout…

Options
xxzenabxx
xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
Hey everyone! So I’m talking to this guy that I met through an online app and we’ve even spoken about marriage so things have gotten pretty serious. There’s only one thing irking me and that is that he doesn’t exercise at all. And I’m attracted to muscular men…especially big shoulders. I find skinny guys unattractive. I told him about this and he said he doesn’t have time to workout because he works 12 hour shifts from 7am-7pm. He wake up at 5am and gets home and eats dinner at 8-9pm then sleeps. Rinse and repeat. I told him that he could try 10-15 min workouts 3 times a week if he doesn’t have time and he said he’s too tired. He also has cold hands too. I’m so put off by this because I would like my future husband to be strong, manly and capable. Not weak, tired and incapable. Imagine in the future I ask him to lift something heavy and he can’t? I don’t know what to do and I don’t know if I’m just over thinking this! Really need some help and insights. Oh and in terms of age I’m 29 and he’s 31.

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    In terms of have you even met yet....have you even met yet?

We’re going to meet in a few days on Sunday
  • ElMeroKeeQue
    ElMeroKeeQue Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If your mental and spiritual attraction is strong that should carry you through. Physicality only lasts for so long. It’s how he makes you feel and how he treats you that matters most imo. His work situation may not always be as strenuous and that may change. But if this means more to you than anything else you may reconsider what you are getting yourself into.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    First, meet him. If there are sparks, then there may be a future there. His long hours mean he won't have much time for you, if you marry. Perhaps he's thinking of changing jobs and will eventually have normal hours.

He may never be interested in working out. You don't marry someone with the idea of changing them to suit you. Love is what's important and give and take in a relationship. It's work.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    If you want a dude That works out then - find one - I say don’t settle if you do you could have some resentment later - I also think talkin marriage with someone you’ve yet to actually meet irl well that red flag peaches is waving above should be a lot bigger - but that’s just me - good luck - if it works out maybe you can pitch the story to hallmark and make some
    Bank. Yo
  • Peachesnstuff
    Peachesnstuff Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    If you want a dude That works out then - find one - I say don’t settle if you do you could have some resentment later - I also think talkin marriage with someone you’ve yet to actually meet irl well that red flag peaches is waving above should be a lot bigger - but that’s just me - good luck - if it works out maybe you can pitch the story to hallmark and make some
    Bank. Yo

I approve this message
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Ok, well, pardon my bluntness but you're talking marriage with someone who it seems you already don't fully accept. I'm assuming you've at least done the picture thing so you know what he looks like. I'm also assuming you think you can change his attitude about working out. Maybe you can but most likely, you can't.

And about you wanting your future husband to be strong, manly, and capable. Look at my avatar. You KNOW what I'm going to say. 😁

I didn’t say I’m marrying him. I said we’ve spoken about the concept of marriage because I’m from a traditional background. I don’t want to get to know someone who’s just into hooking up and wasting time.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    Bank. Yo

Again…I’m not saying we are getting married. We just spoke about the concept or marriage and it’s something we both want.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    First, meet him. If there are sparks, then there may be a future there. His long hours mean he won't have much time for you, if you marry. Perhaps he's thinking of changing jobs and will eventually have normal hours.

He may never be interested in working out. You don't marry someone with the idea of changing them to suit you. Love is what's important and give and take in a relationship. It's work.

Yeah okay I’ll see what happens on Sunday then! I’m also aware of the fact that you can’t change someone which is why I’m concerned and he didn’t listen to my concerns.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,597 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Ok, well, pardon my bluntness but you're talking marriage with someone who it seems you already don't fully accept. I'm assuming you've at least done the picture thing so you know what he looks like. I'm also assuming you think you can change his attitude about working out. Maybe you can but most likely, you can't.

And about you wanting your future husband to be strong, manly, and capable. Look at my avatar. You KNOW what I'm going to say. 😁

I didn’t say I’m marrying him. I said we’ve spoken about the concept of marriage because I’m from a traditional background. I don’t want to get to know someone who’s just into hooking up and wasting time.

Ok, phew! I think we probably all feel better now. 😁

Still concerned you're concerned he didn't listen to your concerns tho. Is the not being a manly man with manly type strength that much of a deal breaker? What kind of response are you looking from him?

• ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Yeah okay I’ll see what happens on Sunday then! I’m also aware of the fact that you can’t change someone which is why I’m concerned and he didn’t listen to my concerns.

you shouldn’t try to change someone anyway if they are happy with themselves and generally healthy

finding a partner isn’t about molding someone into who you want them to be, that’s kind of toxic

• xxzenabxx
    Options

Still concerned you're concerned he didn't listen to your concerns tho. Is the not being a manly man with manly type strength that much of a deal breaker? What kind of response are you looking from him?

I guess I was hoping for him to say I really want to work towards building a fitness routine because I know it’s good for me. And thank you for suggesting some short workouts for me- that was really helpful too.

☝🏼That’s the kind of response I was expecting from him.

Instead I was met with an array of excuses which shows me that he’s just not passionate about it. Like the way I am. I would feel so weird being stronger and more muscular than my man 😕

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I guess I was hoping for him to say I really want to work towards building a fitness routine because I know it’s good for me. And thank you for suggesting some short workouts for me- that was really helpful too.

Instead I was met with an array of excuses which shows me that he’s just not passionate about it. Like the way I am. I would feel so weird being stronger and more muscular than my man 😕

What does he do for a job? Some men have jobs that incorporate lifting or need strength.
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

Its fine to want what you want.....and its fine for him to be how he wants to be. Some may say i workout too much, or am too regulated with how I eat, thats fine, im not for them if that would be a dealbreaker. Im not changing and im not upset if they say it doesnt work for them. Its our right to not settle and look for whatever fits our needs. I wouldnt even sweat it until you meet anyway. There is so much that can sway feelings outside of one common interest once you see if you vibe or not.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

What does he do for a job? Some men

have jobs that incorporate lifting or need strength.

He has a security job that involves sitting.

• xxzenabxx
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »

Its fine to want what you want.....and its fine for him to be how he wants to be. Some may say i workout too much, or am too regulated with how I eat, thats fine, im not for them if that would be a dealbreaker. Im not changing and im not upset if they say it doesnt work for them. Its our right to not settle and look for whatever fits our needs. I wouldnt even sweat it until you meet anyway. There is so much that can sway feelings outside of one common interest once you see if you vibe or not.

Thank you and yes I know I’m not settling for anything that I know I won’t want. I guess I’ll just wait until Sunday and update everyone on how it goes!
  • iggy93
    iggy93 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm gunna be blunt, if you're approaching a relationship with the idea of trying to change your partner to fit into your mold of what's acceptable, then you got it all wrong. Love is accepting your partner unconditionally as is. If you desire to find a partner with said physical attributes, then go and find him, but never try to change someone else to fit your needs.