Ultra processed foods (UPFs)

Options
Came across this article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna55455

Brazil, like many western countries, has a real problem with UPFs and the subsequent health problems. It's really interesting and shocking to see the numbers of deaths attributed to UPFs.

I've been trying to cut back on ultra processed food for a while now. I've found that making my own bread and cutting out sweets and crisps goes a long way.

However, I realise that I'll never be able to cut ultra processed food out completely. I've accepted a few UPFs as necessary evils, including spam, unflavoured plant based protein powder and tinned soup. I sometimes struggle to eat enough so sometimes the calories are worth the additives.

Is anyone else trying to cut back on UPFs? What's helped you?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    First time I’ve ever heard Spam referred to as ‘a necessary evil’ 😂

I have little to say on the subject of ultra processed foods - they’re not a big issue in my diet as a vegetarian who cooks at home from scratch.

Just wanted to comment on the Spam thing, it made me smile! I do appreciate it features more heavily in some cultures than others but I associate it only with stories of war time rationing and vile fritters they used to serve at school dinners! (I always took a packed lunch!)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options
    I used to have this friend who LOVED spam. I thought it was gross looking. :)

But I have no problem with any kind of processed foods. None of those additives have killed me yet :)
  • delillolauren
    delillolauren Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid processed foods, buy whole ingredients and cook from scratch. My diet is mainly home cooked meals, but I don’t outright avoid processed foods. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • glassyo
    edited November 2022
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I just figure that at this point I’m so well-preserved by the additives in my food, I don’t need to worry about it. And frankly, if it weren’t for pre-made food, I’d starve, so no plans to change anything there.

I say that exact same thing(!) except sometimes I get a little macabre and add they won't have to embalm me.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I eat mostly less processed foods by taste preference (not "dietary religion"), maybe because I'm old and that's how we did back then? The relatively more processed foods in my regular rotation are mostly traditionals: Yogurt, cheese, flour, etc.

Often, I think focusing on the "processed-ness" of foods can be a bit of a distraction. IMO, appropriate calories are really important . . . maybe the most important for long-term health. Overall good nutrition is also really important, IMO - enough protein, healthy fats, veggies/fruits for micros and fibers.

It's not the total universal story, but I do see people here who are IMO over-focused on how processed foods are, and on avoiding the ones that are more processed . . . but who lose sight of the big picture. I think calories and overall nutrition matter more than processed-ness.
  • Sam97113
    Sam97113 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that UPFs are less satiating than foods that are less processed. I think they can also cause blood sugar to rise high after eating them. I’m sure some people can eat them and still lose weight, but it seems like UPFs can make it harder.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    This is an observational evaluation and then they conflate by adding terminology like risk and mortality, which lol, can't be done, impossible.

Anyway, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to conclude that consuming "ultraprocessed" food might have a deleterious effect on our overall health if consumed in large enough quantities.
  • glassyo
    Options
    I finally read the report and...sure hope they don't like bananas.

I give them credit for not using the ingredients you can't pronounce line tho.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Where there are food deserts, communities basically rely on the 'corner store' for the majority of their food. When a body is living off of 'non-food' ingredients (chemicals, etc., ) it isn't surprising there will be negative outcomes to the body.

Imo - I think avoiding UPF's as much as you can is the smarter choice. Stick to what the earth provides for us...whole foods. The earth didn't provide us with gummy bears, etc.,
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Sorry - this one makes the article lose credibility for me. What does whether you can pronounce something have anything to do with how good it is for you? Ask 10 people on the street how to pronounce "acai" or "quinoa" and you will get all sorts of answers.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Because nutrition is so vast and the depth of which we have only begun to scratch the surface (gut microbiome for example) tends to make synergetic connections elusive. A main confounder with UPF and health is that it dismisses the benefits of diets with the right mix of foods at all levels of food processing with the fundamental and flawed belief that all UPF have low nutritional value, which is not the case. All food will have nutrition in them that will benefit someone, somewhere. The nuance of course is in context and dosage and the divisive driven understanding of nutrition in general makes it more difficult. Of course, the other end of pendulum is that overconsumption of UPF is probably not a good formula for health and longevity and the only reason I say "probably" is because the RCT's will never be done, so we'll never actually know for certain. Cheers.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    samfraidin wrote: »
    My understanding is that UPFs are less satiating than foods that are less processed. I think they can also cause blood sugar to rise high after eating them. I’m sure some people can eat them and still lose weight, but it seems like UPFs can make it harder.

I don't know about the less-satiating claim, but since whether or not a food is satiating is a very individual thing, making a blanket claim that UPF's are less satiating is kind of silly.

As for the blood sugar spike - any food that contains lots of simple carbs (including fruit, sweet veggies, etc.) will cause a blood sugar spike (even protein causes a blood sugar spike although it's not as dramatic as sugar). This is the body's natural response to carbs and protein. Physiologically speaking, the blood sugar spike is not an issue - the issue where problems occur is whether or not the spike comes down in a reasonable period. Sustained high blood sugar levels are the issue, not the normal spike that occurs after eating.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options

Hmm. But so, so many people find protein powder helpful in weight loss, and also find it filling. Most protein powder is about as UPF as one can get, IMO.

If blood sugar spikes make it hard to lose weight, that's likely more about appetite and cravings than anything else.

It's almost like a person needs to figure out what's sating for them individually, and what keeps their cravings/appetite manageable. Calories matter for weight management, nutrients matter for health, at the most basic level. UPFs within calorie goal, that we individually find reasonably filling, and that add to our needed nutrition, are maybe . . . just food? ;)
  • glassyo
    Options
    paints5555 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

Sorry - this one makes the article lose credibility for me. What does whether you can pronounce something have anything to do with how good it is for you? Ask 10 people on the street how to pronounce "acai" or "quinoa" and you will get all sorts of answers.

Exactly! It's definitely become a pet peeve.

(I only know how to pronounce acai because I go to an acai/smoothie place almost every day and have heard people order it :))
  • neanderthin
    Options

I agree with you on your first 2 points but whether a person loses weight is about energy balance so if a person is eating less calories than it takes to maintain a steady energy balance they will lose weight regardless of what they eat.

The more whole and complex a food is, generally takes longer to digest and will offer more of a satiating effect. As far as blood sugar rise after a meal depends on a few factors but generally the amount of the spike is dependent upon the individual. A normal response might be in the 160 to 200 range and then a few hrs later in the 120 to 140 range with that person having a normal fasting glucose in the 80 to 100 range. On the other end of the scale, a diabetic for example their fasting blood sugar generally is in the higher range to start with 130+ with a spike in the 200 to 300 range or a lot higher and a few hrs later still in the 200+ range. UPF are generally high in carbohydrates and highly refined so the glycemic load and the calories will dictate what kind of spike might happen, but generally speaking UPF will elicit a higher spike when compared to a whole food.