How to prepare my body for a weight training

Options
I haven't been to the gym for years how do i prepare my fitness before I lift weights any suggestions I'm 295 pounds

Replies

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how old you are, or if you have any health issues so I'm just going to talk about what worked for me. If you have any health concerns please talk with your doctor before starting any exercise program.

I started at 240 lbs and I did have some health concerns. I am also 70 years old. So I had that conversation with my doctor and we agreed that walking would be the best place to start. If you don't have any issues that would prohibit that, walking is one of the easiest and least expensive things you can do to start building your fitness level. I started with 5 minutes and built my way up to 30 minutes twice a day. Because of Covid I did not go back to the gym for several months. Be consistent with both your diet and your exercise and you will lose those pounds and become fitter. I now have added aqua aerobics and strength training to my fitness routine. I have lost over 90 lbs in about 15 months and have so much more energy than before.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You can also find some beginner weight training programs on YouTube that you could do from home with dumbbells if you want to do that before returning to the gym. Start easy and work up to it. When I returned to weight training in the gym after many years away from it, I purchased an introductory program with a personal trainer to help me get started.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would practice proper load management of stress you plan on applying to your CNS & body. If untrained it doesn't take much stimulus to elicit a response for your goals, so no need to dose great amounts of stimulus for the sake of thinking you have to. Allow yourself to adapt over time and then re-access.