Starting my Journey

Options
Hi everyone! I am beginning my journey to eating well. When I eat nutritious food my body feels better. However, it is hard for me to stick to a diet of good eating. Does anyone have recommendations to help hold yourself accountable for making healthy choices?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    The easiest way to make it not so hard is to, well, make it not so hard. Rather than change everything all at once, you could make gradual changes to your eating habits. Don't force yourself to eat foods you don't really like, just because they are "healthy". Don't totally give up any foods that you love, just adjust the frequency and amount of those higher calorie/ lower nutrition foods. Don't over complicate things by trying to follow specific diets or eating plans.

People "fail" at losing weight/improving their health because they make themselves so miserable that they can't sustain it long term. You need to find a way of eating that you can continue for the rest of your life. Yes, you need to make some compromises, but food should still be enjoyable.

Finally, and this is controversial, and just my opinion...don't think of this as a "journey". Journeys have ends, and this will not. A journey implies an epic undertaking, which can put you in the mindset that this will be more difficult than it needs to be. Gradual changes in your eating habits don't have to sound so daunting.
  • bover145
    bover145 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great advice from @Suzysunshine99! You didn't get where you are in a month. Find what works for you but here are a couple of suggestions:

Get 2 or 3 easy breakfasts that start you out right. For example, I often have "fruity Os" - scoop nonfat greek yogurt, dollop activia blueberry yogurt (for taste!), 1/2 chopped apple and 1/4 cup cheerios.

Find snacks that replace the high fat/high sugar ones. Maybe its smart food popcorn or carrots/hummus.

Good luck and keep at it!
  • tabathasherrod
    tabathasherrod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I started working out I was not focused on the food I ate. My goal was to find a starting point and commit to it. I found that I started craving differently my body no longer wanted a number 3 from McDonald's it tasted awful. That encouraged me to find better healthier options. This had me excited.
  • Grananaofsix
    Grananaofsix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am starting over again. I have been on so many "diets" where I lose weight but then gain it all back because I got tired of eating salads all the time. I just want to eat normal but what is normal? I don't even know where to start to eat a balanced diet and lose weight. Help would be appreciated. thanks
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    nilboss wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am beginning my journey to eating well. When I eat nutritious food my body feels better. However, it is hard for me to stick to a diet of good eating. Does anyone have recommendations to help hold yourself accountable for making healthy choices?

Good advice from @SuzySunshine99 above!

A key point is to make the process relatively easier, rather than trying to be fast or instantly perfect.

Unless you are starting with a medically diagnosed deficiency of some time, you can start by logging how you eat now, and gradually make sustainable, happy changes in your eating habits that move your overall nutrition in a positive direction. Keep it practical!

There's no reason to eliminate all forms of delight from your eating. Once you have good overall nutrition - from the totality of your eating, not by kicking out so-called "bad foods" to eat only "good foods" - you can include some less nutrient-dense treats within calorie goal.

Here's a thread about one possible way of looking at that "remodel your eating" approach:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

That won't be perfect for everyone - no one approach is universally perfect, because we're all individual - but it's a kind of approach I and some others here have followed to long-term weight management success. (I'm in year 7 of maintaining a healthy weight, after about 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity.) Maybe take a look at it, see if it looks achievable/useful for you?

Best wishes for success!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    I am starting over again. I have been on so many "diets" where I lose weight but then gain it all back because I got tired of eating salads all the time. I just want to eat normal but what is normal? I don't even know where to start to eat a balanced diet and lose weight. Help would be appreciated. thanks

I'd repeat that link and encourage you to take a look too, @Grananaofsix.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

I think it's a good idea to figure out sustainable, relatively enjoyable eating habits that are calorie appropriate, filling, tasty, practical, and lead us to a healthy weight then keep us there long term. That's quite different from "go on a diet" then "go back to normal", which is a recipe for regain and yo-yos.

Best wishes!