Advice please- pain in front of hip/ beginning running

Options
I’m doing the IFit beginning running series with Tommy Rivs. I have completed 11/30 workouts and now we are to 5 minute warm up walk, one minute running, one minute walking intervals, 5 minute walk for 30 minutes total.

I have skipped the two rest days at the end of weeks one and two because of being an idiot. Yesterday was workout 11/30 which I was supposed to have a rest day and instead pushed on because I woke up feeling fantastic.

I am in pain. If I lay down and press my flattened hand just below my hipbone… that’s the spot. My hand covers everything part that hurts/is sore. Getting moving hurts but I’m okay once I’m walking around. My knees hurt when flexed like I can’t get into child’s pose with the tops of my feet on the floor without pain around my knees.

So… obviously I’m going to take 2 days off the running series is there anything else I need to do? Does this sound normal? Have I screwed up majorly? :(

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I had the type of pain you're describing a few days ago. I have OA and if I overdo, I pay. What I did was take ibuprofen for a couple days and try to rest it (flat little pillow under my thigh when in bed). It went away in a couple of days. Hope you have the same luck.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Google hip flexor stretches, and quad stretches. The hip flexors can cause a stupid amount of pain, and they’re linked to your quads which can cause knee pain. If you’ve not been taking enough rest days, chances are you’ve over-worked those muscles. Some stretching and pressure point release could help (caveat, obvs not a medical person and have no idea of your medical history!).
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your suggestions! I’m going to see if that helps me feel better.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It more than likely isn't a huge deal. Just remember that the body adapts to a certain load of stress & when we apply possibly more than it has adapted to, sometimes it will react. So if you need to go off program and skip a rest day it is reasonable to lower the stress of that early day.

If you enjoy stretching that is cool and might help your mind to adjust to pain. Though pain is very complicated and a "stretch" is not a fix. In your case I would suggest to do what is tolerable and the pain is not worsened. Even a short slower walk "might" be beneficial. Use common sense and don't beat yourself up over it.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It’s much appreciated.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In addition to the recommendations for stretching by most of the folks that have replied, you may need to add strength training for your hip flexors; e.g., isometric exercises for psoas muscles, clam shells for gluteus medius and minimus, squats for several hip flexors, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound too big a deal. You're likely overtraining. Rest and if the pain subsides substantially, than that's likely the reason.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tonybrown1930
    tonybrown1930 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Like others I'd suggest hip flexor stretches/exercises. I would however strongly recommend going to see a good sports physio. It can be tough to diagnose what the exact issue is from your explanation, could be hip flexor, could be osteoarthritis or something else. A physio will be able to pinpoint the issue and best rehabilitation exercises. I'm guilty of a completely incorrect injury diagnosis based on "Dr Google" . It costs but is cost effective.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Go to someone that does deep tissue body work.

I had a really good one 15 years ago. She took 10 years off of my body as far as muscle tightness, etc. you have all these trigger points that need to be released