Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Heart Disease: Genetic or Lifestyle ?

Options
IAmTheGlue
IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
What do you think? How much of heart disease is family history vs your chosen lifestyle?

I (45, F) had my DNA sequenced and I did not have the genes that indicate an increased risk of heart disease. But…. the men in my family have all died of Congestive Heart Failure. My cousin (basically my sister as we were raised together) and I were talking just two days ago about how both our Dads died of CHF, who else in the family has it, etc and how scary it was. We were discussing the steps we were taking to prevent us from going down that road. For example, heart healthy diet, exercise, trying to maintain a healthy weight… thinking if there was anything else we should be doing.

I was surprised to see no genetic component (for me at least)so is it literally just lifestyle for some folks? I have two more living uncles in my Dads side, both with CHF but… both are in their 60’s, confirmed bachelor’s who eat out for every meal…both are very top heavy… I don’t know what the proper term is but you know the 9 months pregnant look? I love them, I’m just saying I know that abdominal fat storage is a health concern.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Many of the men in previous generations of my family had heart problems...heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, CHF. But, they were also all overweight, smoked, did not exercise, drank a lot of alcohol, and ate diets of mostly red meat and few vegetables.

It's hard to say....none of us have had genetic testing. But, I would think that even if you did have a genetic predisposition to heart problems, you could greatly decrease your chances of developing them by adopting a healthy lifestyle.

Sometimes, there's only so much you can do to overcome genetics. My sister has high cholesterol. She eats a very healthy diet, is a normal weight, and runs marathons. Nothing that she can do seems to bring her cholesterol down. She'll have to start medication for it soon.

By contrast, I am also a healthy weight and eat a decent diet (not as careful as she is), and I exercise (not to the level of marathons), my cholesterol is very low. Even when I was overweight, my cholesterol was low. We are full siblings, so that's interesting to me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    Best of luck and good health to you, @IAmTheGlue
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I don’t know. I thought it was genetic. My dad and two sisters died from it.
    First, aunt, 40 years of age, heart problems all her life. No weight problems.
    Second, 25 years later? My dad, 70’s, first heart attack at 50. Tried to gain a little weight most of his life.
    Third, aunt, 98, no heart problems until about 90. No weight problems.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Here's an IMO kind of mind-bending perspective on thinking about genetic risk factors.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-018-0483-4

The actual study is paywalled, but note the term "physiological" in the abstract, i.e., actual physical effect.

In brief, people's actual physical performance actually changed based on what they were told about their exercise-related genetics tendencies. The whole experimental group did an exercise test, were told about relevant genetic markers (half of them were told the opposite of what was true about their genetics), then did a repeat of the same test. In some cases, what they were told about their genetics had a stronger effect on performance than their actual genetics, basically. (They were told the truth afterward, BTW.)

Ditto for a similar test with satiety and information about satiety genetics. IIRC, they tested satiety hormones in the bodies, not just used subjective evaluations.

This podcast has a consumer-friendly explanation of that and other relevant (but surprising) research:

https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/reframing-your-reality-part-2/
  • emailnumber308
    emailnumber308 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My dad is adopted and I don't know anything about his family history which scared me a bit. I do have high cholesterol despite have a relatively healthy diet low in saturated fats/salts/cholesterol. My high cholesterol is genetic though and my doctor told me I didn't need statins unless I had diabetes or high blood pressure. My mom has high blood pressure and heart disease runs on her side of the family. Even when I was obese I had high cholesterol and the only thing that actually changed was my blood pressure. It used to be high and now I have a healthy BP. Sometimes it's low. What I'm getting at is that genetics and lifestyle both matter and I don't think one is necessarily more important than the other. But if you know heart problems run in your family, it doesn't hurt to see a cardiologist at least once a year. I still worry about CHF even more so since my best friend died at 32 of CHF (she was also obese and had issues with alcohol). Anyways, just keep doing what you can and checking up with your doctors 💕
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    If it was mostly genetic then the curve for heart disease in the 20th century shouldn't have been as dramatic with the increased incidence especially mid century. Primary prevention as it improved has slowed mortality. imo
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    For some there is a strong genetic component. I see occasionally young people with cardiomyopathies or valve disorders despite no unhealthy habits and being normal weight or even fit. Some high cholesterol and high blood pressure is also genetic and can’t be controlled with diet and lifestyle and those are two things that really increase heart disease risk.

But for many it is about lifestyle. Meth, alcohol, and smoking are horrible for the heart among other things like saturated fat and sedentary lifestyle.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    But for many it is about lifestyle. Meth, alcohol, and smoking are horrible for the heart among other things like saturated fat and sedentary lifestyle.

Well, since you brought recreational drugs into the conversation :p cocaine is another bad one. I'm old enough now to see the negative effects of youthful coke use showing up in some peers. They've adopted healthier lifestyles later in life but the damage was already done.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Well, since you brought recreational drugs into the conversation :p cocaine is another bad one. I'm old enough now to see the negative effects of youthful coke use showing up in some peers. They've adopted healthier lifestyles later in life but the damage was already done.

Oh yeah, for sure! Scary how much drugs can damage the heart and other things.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Here's an IMO kind of mind-bending perspective on thinking about genetic risk factors.

The actual study is paywalled, but note the term "physiological" in the abstract, i.e., actual physical effect.

In brief, people's actual physical performance actually changed based on what they were told about their exercise-related genetics tendencies. The whole experimental group did an exercise test, were told about relevant genetic markers (half of them were told the opposite of what was true about their genetics), then did a repeat of the same test. In some cases, what they were told about their genetics had a stronger effect on performance than their actual genetics, basically. (They were told the truth afterward, BTW.)

Ditto for a similar test with satiety and information about satiety genetics. IIRC, they tested satiety hormones in the bodies, not just used subjective evaluations.

This podcast has a consumer-friendly explanation of that and other relevant (but surprising) research:

Ah, yes, you mentioned this podcast on another thread. I listened to parts 1 and 2 and found them very interesting, and the part about good stress was very helpful for a stressful meeting I had within a week of listening.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I think it's both, but certain genetics may make us more prone to suffer issues.
    For example, as far back as I am able to trace, stroke has killed the women on my maternal side. Both of my parents have had BP issues most of their adult lives. Osteoporosis runs in the maternal family as well, and my mother has it very bad.
    Therefore, knowing this, when (not quite a year ago) I had a BP wake up call (went to donate plasma but my bp was too high - way higher than anything I had ever seen before), I immediately started implementing some lifestyle changes, including finding a reliable way to reduce my stress (which was culprit #1).
    I'm also a bit more "aware" of this family history, and especially at my age, am more determined than ever to not follow in my family's footsteps. Almost everyone on my mother's side is overweight to obese and have been most of their lives. Many have smoked for years. Alcoholism runs in both sides of the family.
    Thankfully I've always been more active and have worked out/lifted/done physical jobs most of my life, unlike many in my family (exception being my father who has stayed active into his 70's now). I've also never struggled with obesity, but I've yo-yo'd the 15-25 pounds I could stand to lose for years - and now that I've figured out the stress thing and have developed that into a lifestyle, deciding to take care of my fluff is my priority #1 - carefully and sustainably, but get it off and quit with the back and forth poo I've been pulling for years.
    I don't know that I'd be trusting some "genetic test" unless it was done through a doctor, I'd be looking at that family history, recognizing what I may be more susceptible to, and living accordingly.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    A bit late to this, but for anyone who is interested, there are some really interesting studies that were done on twins who were raised separately, looking at differences vs. similarities for physical and mental conditions, etc...

Basically, they are finding what a lot of people suspect, which is that some things seem to be more genetically influenced, and some more environmentally influenced. I can't recall which factors pinged more one way or another any more, but it's worth hunting down the studies, if you are curious, because some things really seemed heavily correlated with genes or environment, but not both.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    I saw an interesting sports documentary on research in getting the next olympic champion and selecting and training the right people recently, hosted by a former pro. There are a couple of genes that might make you an amazing sprinter, or long distance runner, or lifter. But if you don’t activate the genes early on in life then you could be the next ben johnson but be totally useless at sports if you never exercised as a child. I could imagine that the same is true for quite a few other things: if lifestyle is good your chance if developing heart disease are a lot smaller to absent.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »