McDonalds Issue

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I do not like judgemental types.
    So if you knew I ate there what would you think of me? Especially as a trainer?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    People are judgemental and it is often when they are jealous! Be proud you dont eat there it is CRAP food! good on you :)

Why would the nurse be jealous?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I do not like judgemental types.
    So if you knew I ate there what would you think of me? Especially as a trainer?
    i lurv you toooooo
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    People are judgemental and it is often when they are jealous! Be proud you dont eat there it is CRAP food! good on you :)

Why would the nurse be jealous?

didnt you know thats the standard answer around here
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    hmmm...seems like many have read Fast Food Nation. Then again, by Schlosser's own account, "the enormous buying power of the fast food giants has given them access to the some of the cleanest ground beef." So maybe not.

I wonder if parents really protect their children by encouraging them to imagine the food at McDonald's as akin to crack cocaine. In experiments at Penn State University, youngsters were fed large lunches and then offered junk food. Some ate a great deal of the junk food even though they were already full, while others ate almost none. What predicted how much junk food they consumed? Whether their parents forbid those high-fat, high-sugar foods in their regular diet. These studies and several others find that when children are told that a food is bad for them, they assume it must taste good, and they develop an appetite for it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think about Burger King?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    this guy only ate McDonalds for an entire month, he got really fat...

http://chazzweaver.com/site/projects/down-size-me/
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Love their triple whoppers!! Extra mayo, please
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly. XP
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would have sent her a copy of "Food, Inc.".

I am quite vocal in my bashing of fast food - and it has nothing to do with the food.

It sounds to me like maybe she thought you were judging her, not the other way around. You're making an excellent decision for your family (and the planet) and maybe you planted a seed for her.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Personally i think teaching children about all food in moderation is far more important than just banning things outright which if eaten in moderation is perfectly fine! You'll just confuse them if/when they find out what you called "evil", "crap" etc is actually ok in moderation!
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would have sent her a copy of "Food, Inc.".

I am quite vocal in my bashing of fast food - and it has nothing to do with the food.

It sounds to me like maybe she thought you were judging her, not the other way around. You're making an excellent decision for your family (and the planet) and maybe you planted a seed for her.

Food Inc. The next best thing since super size me.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options

If you must it's not THAT bad I usually go with a Whopper Jr. No Chz No Mayo, small onion ring or side salad or apple slices and of course WATER! :wink:
  • malloriewebb
    Options
    I think you should have left it at that when she said she sometimes takes her kids there. You didnt have to make *he*r feel bad after that, which is how I read it. If you dont care what she feeds her kids, you should have stopped with your explanation of why your kids said it was yucky. Not trying to be rude or anything, but you kind of took it another step when you didnt need to...
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    :sad: :sad: Poor Ronald. I hope you all will be happy when hes drinking strawberry hill out of a paper bag on skid row from the complex of being hated by so many. Wheres the support?!?!?!?!?:cry:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Nope, I would have said the same thing. Stating why you don't eat there is no a judgement of others. If she read it that way then it's her problem, not yours.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat McDonald's about once a week, sometimes more. I worked there for 5 years though high school AND college. You can get a hamburger, a side salad, and an ice cream cone for less than 500 calories. Protein, fiber, vitamins, dairy, and yum. I also get their Egg McMuffins. And sometimes even have french fries.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    We aren't burger-jointers, either, my kids never went to those places until they were 5 & 6 years old, really. So I don't think you did anything wrong, but I really don't see the issue with what the nurse did, either. Maybe I'm just not very sensitive, other people can't really make me feel bad- that's all in me, kwim?
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

I like the Grimace better.

And McDonald's french fries can't be beat. Best in the world.
  • jtkeaton
    Options
    Eh, depends on how you look at it I guess. A low-carb diet limits carbohydrates- such as bread, grains, rice, starchy vegetables and fruit — and emphasizes sources of protein and fat. The theory behind the low-carb diet is that insulin prevents fat breakdown in the body by allowing sugar to be used for energy. Proponents of the low-carb diet believe that a decrease in carbs results in lower insulin levels, which causes the body to burn stored fat for energy.

this is getting off topic, but why would you eat high protein if you are trying to prevent spikes in insulin, since protien is highly insulingenic as well? and there isn't a metabolic advantage to low carb diets

I agree that we are getting off topic, but I will reply to your question. You're right it doesn't have a metabolic advantage to people already in shape. But It's a balance of everything really from what I've noticed and I've had some time to play around with this as I've been on a few different 'diets'. I watch more of my calorie and carb intake- and my sugar levels are actually normal, as is cholestoral, etc. My biggest focus is removing the carbs [cereal, bread, pizza] that my body would typically convert to sugar and allow my liver to do the 2 things it's setup to do: remove harmful items from my body & burn fat cells. I've found this to work for me [not for everybody- as each individuals body is differnet] as I did not work out the first month I started. So I was able to experiment with how carbs impact my weight loss/gain.
This discussion has been closed.