MyFitnessPal vs WW

Options
lc52785
lc52785 Posts: 1 Member
Thinking to cancel my WW
Looking for honest opinions…. Is MyFitnessPal essentially the same as WW? Do you like one better than the other?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I've never used WW myself, but from what I've read it's calorie counting disguised to make it marketable.

Peculiarities:
    - 'free foods': I once looked at the list of free foods and was baffled. You could eat free foods only and still gain weight.
    - 'bad' foods are disproportionally penalized, beyond their calorie count. You could be eating all of your points and be undereating significantly.

Both of these peculiarities make calorie counting the obvious choice for me, much more transparent and correct, and free too. And I don't like this idea of being punished for 'bad' foods - I don't even like the idea of testing some foods differently than others.

My 'credentials': losing 75lbs using MFP for calorie counting, from obese to normal weight. And after several failed attempts using other methods, this was honestly pretty painless (also because I chose to lose weight quite slowly, choosing not to starve myself).
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,317 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I only have an opinion because I've used both. My opinions are just based on my experience, and I quit WW over 5 years ago so my knowledge of WW is probably outdated.

I would say they're not "essentially the same". WW points used to be based primarily on calories, but even before I quit they had changed it to a combination of carbs, fat, and a couple other things. Their approach - making most fruits, vegetables, and very lean poultry and fish "free" - would work best for someone who has NOT been eating like that and switches. I will say, WW's plan would encourage people to eat very healthy.

I agree pretty much entirely with Lietchi's response. You could certainly overeat calories on just the free food (especially if you are at a lower calorie limit, close to goal). And the reason I finally quit was because of the disproportionate "punishment" for eating anything sweet.

I'm a fan of calorie-counting. Any weight loss program that works works because it's creating a calorie deficit, so to me it's logical to start there and not add any unnecessary restrictions. It gives me more freedom.
  • VicDis2021
    VicDis2021 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just quit WW a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed the meetings, but as others have said, the punishment mindset, and the fake point calculation drove me nuts. Also the MFP diary is way more extensive and easier to use.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Back when I quit weight watchers, the counselor set your points, and they didn’t take daily activity into account. I hauled hay for a living. Imagine how hungry I was!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've tried WW. Not a fan. The weekly weigh-ins don't take into account time-of-day, natural weight fluctuations or menstrual cycles. Once, I was 'a good girl' and drank all my daily water before a WW weigh-in. Surprise! I 'gained' that exact amount and was admonished for my 'failure.'

As mentioned up-thread, those 'free' foods certainly aren't calorie-free. I can easily consume 2000+ calories of 'free' foods in one sitting. Calorie counting is the only thing that has ever worked for me.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I've tried WW. Not a fan. The weekly weigh-ins don't take into account time-of-day, natural weight fluctuations or menstrual cycles.

Or clothes/shoes. Flip flops vs boots
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,599 Member
    Options
    Back when I quit weight watchers, the counselor set your points, and they didn’t take daily activity into account. I hauled hay for a living. Imagine how hungry I was!

OMG!!!

I did WW (and did well on it) back when you took their little bmr test, got a range of points, 35 extra and earned exercise points to do with what you will.

I didn't pay for it or go to meetings. I'm not really the meeting type and you could find everything online.

I stopped when I hit a plateau and they changed the program where it wasn't so easy to get info online. :)

I kept up with the annual program changes out of curiousity but they lost me when they made a lot of calorie dense food free. I get what they were trying to do but for people who like their food...no way it was gonna work.

Not sure how the program works now but I would go with mfp just because you absolutely (more or less) know what you're eating.

And there's a great support sytem in the message boards.

Not me, right now because people are infuriating. :)
  • annbutler56
    annbutler56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I've never used WW myself, but from what I've read it's calorie counting disguised to make it marketable.

Peculiarities:
    - 'free foods': I once looked at the list of free foods and was baffled. You could eat free foods only and still gain weight.
    - 'bad' foods are disproportionally penalized, beyond their calorie count. You could be eating all of your points and be undereating significantly.

Both of these peculiarities make calorie counting the obvious choice for me, much more transparent and correct, and free too. And I don't like this idea of being punished for 'bad' foods - I don't even like the idea of testing some foods differently than others.

My 'credentials': losing 75lbs using MFP for calorie counting, from obese to normal weight. And after several failed attempts using other methods, this was honestly pretty painless (also because I chose to lose weight quite slowly, choosing not to starve myself).

I SO needed to read this today. I have yet to succeed. And, know it is my own fault. I always give up on the effort. Thank you for saving me yet another attempt and wasting money. Free scared me.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Peculiarities:

I SO needed to read this today. I have yet to succeed. And, know it is my own fault. I always give up on the effort. Thank you for saving me yet another attempt and wasting money. Free scared me.

I'm not saying it can't work for some, but it's a bit of a lottery, I do prefer a more objective/transparent system 🙂
    I hope you find something that works for you! I have no idea what you mind of efforts have already given up on (what you've tried so far) but this is pretty much what I did:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

The trick is: don't make the effort too hard, something that requires little willpower, small gradual changes, and you're less likely to want to give up.

Same for exercise, by the way: it's good for health, but not strictly necessary for weight loss, so do something you enjoy and increase gradually. No need for punishing, unpleasant exercise.

PS it's good to recognize if something is your fault, but don't beat yourself up over it (it burns no extra calories 😉), just learn from it and move on.
This discussion has been closed.