Bad mental health day

Sorry in advance for the self-pity post.

I’m having one of those days where I feel like a failure in everything. Tried to do yoga this morning and couldn’t do have the poses. Trying to get into healthier eating habits but keep slipping back into bad habits and can’t keep it up. Trying my best at work but it still isn’t enough. My apartment is filthy because I don’t have enough energy to clean…

Any advice on how to work my way out of this really bad funk? I’m so miserable and overwhelmed right now.

Replies

• Irishbymarriage
    Irishbymarriage Posts: 1 Member
    You're A perfectionist and you're being way too hard on yourself. I just recently went back to yoga after having rotator cuff surgery in August. I'm proud of myself for just getting up and going to the morning class, because I'm not a morning person! I can't do a lot of the yoga poses, but I have a wonderful instructor who shows me modifications. Oh plus I let a "toot" escape loudly the other morning and I was mortified but I've heard toots escape from others so I decided to just pretend it's normal lol. Be proud of yourself for trying to improve your health. And it's ok for your house to be imperfect! My mom has OCD about cleaning and I feel bad for her because she misses out on so much because she's too busy worrying about how clean her house is. Spray a little Febreze and it'll smell good! I dust when I can write my name in it!
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Making changes can take time. Think about the smaller steps and the micro goals that lead to your major goals. Give yourself the space for self- compassion. It's ok to not be able to switch from one way to it's opposite in a day...or even in months. Keep your goals in sight and know that you have value apart from what you eat and how much you weigh. Keep your head up!
  • Whatever you do, hang in there. Keep positive! Regarding your apartment, can you get rid of any clutter and maybe consider hiring a cleaner for a Spring clean? Take care.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    So sorry you are feeling crummy. One day at a time and one thing at a time. ♥️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    It's my time to do yoga and I'm feeling somewhat queasy from dinner (which was almost 3 hours ago) but am going to start anyway and give myself permission to stop after 10 minutes if I need to.

I overcome lack of motivation for cleaning by setting the timer for 30 minutes and playing music.

It's two months later - how are you feeling these days?
  • mfowler883
    mfowler883 Posts: 226 Member
    edited December 2022
    Yoga is harder than it looks. I haven't tried it in a while but I was working along to a "beginner" yoga video for a while and I SUCKED at it, I'm certain I had terrible form and I failed utterly at even some of the modified poses, my transitions were so sloppy it wasn't funny, it was just bad. I will try it again when I get into generally better shape with diet and exercise - a little stretching and strength training should make the yoga stuff come a little easier, perhaps...or perhaps not. Anyway, yeah, don't be hard on yourself for struggling at yoga.

Changing eating habits is hard, too. I know. I'm going through that as well. It really took reaching a point where I could no longer tolerate the way I felt, the state of my general health, the numbers that came back in my lab work, the fact that I couldn't clip my own toenails, the way my belt dug into my stomach when I sat down, the way climbing a single flight of stairs left me winded... something inside me just broke and I knew it was time, I found the willpower and made a plan. It sucks. There are days that I want nothing more than to go eat a massive amount of Mexican food or something. There are minutes and hours that drag by as I fight the urge to walk down to the kitchen and snack or graze. Changing eating habits is probably harder than changing just about any other type of habit we might have.
    Don't be hard on yourself for struggling with it. Make a plan, approach it systematically.

Work sucks. It is what it is. Some managers will never be satisfied with your performance. Some clients will always find a reason to complain. Some customers will treat you like garbage just because they are terrible people. So on and so forth. Do your best, strive to improve where you can, and try to accept that there are always going to be things in life that you have no control over.

Clean a little here and a little there, adopt a clean-as-you-go strategy where you can. Break down large tasks into small steps. You don't have to do it all at once.

There will be days that you have no energy, there will be times that you feel overwhelmed. Life will absolutely try to kick you while you're down. We all face that sometimes. Some days, it's all you can do to get up and put one foot in front of the other, but when you have those days, remember that putting one foot in front of the other is enough if that's all you have to give that day. If you can do any more than that, remind yourself that slow progress is still progress, that small improvements are still improvements.

-m
  • Spammyamfa
    Spammyamfa Posts: 14 Member
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    Lower your standards. I’m serious.

Don’t aim to perfect your yoga poses, aim to get through.

Don’t aim to be perfect at eating under some strict goal, just stay under your maintenance calories. Maintenance calories mean you won’t gain and you won’t lose.

Throw out one thing in your apartment that’s clutter. Fold one load of laundry. Set your timer for 10, even 5 minutes and clean the spot next to you.

You don’t have to scale a mountain to succeed. Some days staying sane, or alive, is a success.

Clearly you’re going through a rough patch but the good news is that it will end! It will be okay. 💐

Do one thing. Wash one dish. Make your bed. You don’t have to accomplish everything on your to do list.

I’m sorry you feel like that. I’m passionate about self care. I’m passionate about cutting toxic people and situations from my life. I’m passionate about not giving a *kitten* about anything that’s bringing me down.

Some days are about survival. You will get through this. Maybe a little mental health therapy would help? I have been to a therapist several times when life felt like it was crashing down. Mental health is health.

Love your post, resonated with me.