do i have to wear shoes when I workout?

Options
I noticed I'm faster and more energetic when I'm bouncing around without shoes on. Even though my shoes are lightweight trainers...they are still big (I take a size 10 women's!) and just take more effort to move around. I'm planning to start Turbo Jam and eventually Turbo Fire and I wondered if there was a better shoe out there that will still provide support but won't feel so clunky when I'm moving around quickly. Any suggestions? Is it okay to work out barefoot (especially when doing resistance moves and having to have good form even when you get tired)?

Replies

• Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I don't, but from someone who has done this for years for this very purpose, be prepared to develop callous material on the pads of your feet.

Then again if your working out on carpet that may not happen, my "workouts" involve running on pavement, barefoot through local parks, and kickboxing so....may or may not happen.

But as for having to, I don't see why you would.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I do TurboFire barefoot, but work up to it. I just don't like to wear shoes...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I noticed I'm faster and more energetic when I'm bouncing around without shoes on. Even though my shoes are lightweight trainers...they are still big (I take a size 10 women's!) and just take more effort to move around. I'm planning to start Turbo Jam and eventually Turbo Fire and I wondered if there was a better shoe out there that will still provide support but won't feel so clunky when I'm moving around quickly. Any suggestions? Is it okay to work out barefoot (especially when doing resistance moves and having to have good form even when you get tired)?

There are shoes out there that use the "barefoot" design, like the Nike Frees. I'm not sure how much better they are than regular tennis shoes but it might be worth trying them on somewhere.
  • batesss
    Options
    only thing to expect out of this: callouses, and flat feet (shoes help to hold our feet in arch, without shoes they are more likely to spread and widen).

but i only workout barefoot. i find that i'm never complaining about my shoes or feet hurting from my shoes :)
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    well, i dont think you will get arrested either way..you decide..i used to go barefoot in the beginning, but now i cant stand to not wear my shoes..i feel it gives me more traction and all..good luck
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    A lot of that depends on your foot and what exercise you're doing. If you're running, don't go cold turkey barefoot, work up to it. Weight training type stuff would probably be fine to do barefoot if 1) you're using correct form and 2) you don't need the extra support.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Actually from what I've read, going barefoot will RAISE your arches. That's because your muscles will be forced to support your weight and absorb shock and will strengthen. Shoes artificially support your arches and will allow the muscles in your foot to atrophy since they will be used less. Remember, your body was designed to be barefoot. Just use common sense as to when shoes would be more appropriate. Don't arc weld while barefoot for example. ;)
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have done turbo jam and and am doing turbo fire now, and I prefer doing both barefoot. I really only wear shoes if I am running or at the gym. At home I have carpeting so that seems to give me enough cushion and support.
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know there are shoes designed to mimic being barefoot, and a lot of them are like 100$. I just workout barefoot on carpet. I'm sure it would work well on a mat or something. Regular shoes seem to catch on the carpet and cause my knees to twist. I just like barefoot better but I don't have any foot injuries, or anything, to deal with.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't wear shoes either. I am at home, on carpet and am only working out for 20-30 minutes at a time. I don't bother takin the time to deal with them.

If I wasn't on carpet, I might have a different story to tell!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I do taekwondo barefoot and often workout to TurboFire barefoot too. I just prefer it and my feet feel so much better without shoes!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've done Tae Bo without shoes before. Since I was working out on carpet, I decided to see if it made some of the kicking and stuff easier. It did and it didn't - if that makes sense. It made some movements easier since my shoes weren't catching on the carpet, but it definitely made me pay closer attention to the actual moves I was doing.

There's NO WAY I could run without my shoes. I need the support since I have steel rods in my spine.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    if your at home inside doing a dvd or that type of fitness no ones gonna care and it wont make much of a differance , however on a tredmill, bike, elliptical or other machine at home it makes a big differance and is much easyer with shoes onalso makes your feet not hurt afterwards
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    LOL there IS someone else like me out there!
    i have NEVER done workouts in shoes i NEVER wear shoes! BUT i have been doing the p90x and through the whole thing he tells you to wear them so i did and it's not acually THAT bad! lol you do get used to it very quickly! :flowerforyou:
  • Darkness2120
    Options
    Nope, though most gyms will frown on that. My solution? Vibram Five Fingers, love them and wear them to my workouts and as casual summer footwear. Squats and deadlifts are so much better in them (for me at least), plus they accommodate to my wide feet lol But price wise, yea they not cheap. Unless i start making more cash, I may not be able to continue buying them.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I think gyms like you to wear them for health reasons (the same reason they like you to wear flip flops around the pool) and for safety (you get better grip with a shoe).

If you're at home, do whatever you like!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys!! I'm working out at home so I guess I'll give it a go without the shoes. I've been wearing them the last few months and they just slow me down when they "catch" on the carpet. I was previewing the TurboFire DVDs and laughing because I could NEVER keep up with those people in my big clunkers on carpet! My feet never hurt while wearing my shoes (I have Mizuno's Wave Creation and they are AMAZING to run in!!!) and I never ever got shin splints or the like while doing the C25K plan. So I just kept with them...but I'm not running right now so I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to do some damage or something to my feet or legs. I saw those Vibram shoes and am intrigued (though they are ugly as hell!)...but I'm no digging the price tag, LOL! Are they really worth it?!?! I suppose if you wanna go "barefoot" elsewhere than your house they may be.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I don't if I'm at home and doing strength type stuff. If I'm doing a workout from a magazine or DVD, I generally don't. For cardio or tons of jumping around, I usually do. I figure I have high arches and could use the support, plus I don't want to be stopped if I step on glass or something.
  • debgcook
    Options
    I know if I am at home as I have capet sometimes I just wear socks and do certain workout. But if I am doing step workout from DVD of Cathy Smith or Cathe Friedrch's then I do wear shoes. If at Gym, wear your shoes becuz of germs..... Just thought you want to know.