Maybe a very stupid question.....

Options
When you guys cook with spices, say, Cinnamon, for example, and it has a caloric amount, do you log it into your foods?

I was shocked that there's 17 calories in a tbsp of cinnamon!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    i do! especially cinnamon :]
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't log it in my diary as I don't use enough to register calories from for most items.

I do of course include them in any recipes that I'm entering so it's as accurate as possible.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    No, because how often do you eat a Tbsp. of cinnamon?! lol

I would log it into a recipe if using large amounts but I never log spices anymore unless they have lots of sodium like the pre-mixed stuff.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I do if it's a recipe and I'm using a fair amount of something like cinnamon or paprika. I don't worry about the 1/8 tsp I add to my yogurt most days.
  • barbarabelk
    Options
    I always check the label. If it's got a significant enough amount and I'm using enough of it, I log it. If not, sometimes I still do, but not always.
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I can garuntee you that I have never used anywhere close to even half a tablespoon of cinnamon while cooking. If I use a large amount of anything I log it. Buy rarely the dashes of spicea
  • ahalla
    ahalla Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't...I chalk it up like the "exercise" I do when I walk to the mailbox, it all washes to me :wink:
  • AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That is surprising, but that's also a whole lot of cinnamon. I think a whole pumpkin pie has one teaspoon, which is a third of a tablespoon. So no, I don't count calories in spices.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You do of course need to check out the nutritional info, IE if you buy cinnamon at the dollar store you may find that it's half sugar so you would want to log that! Just watch your labels, like the lemon pepper seasoning I have here... main ingredient? salt... and I was adding it AND salt to my plate before...
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Especially because stuff like that typically has some sodium content too and I'm trying to watch that.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses so far! I was just curious. The one recipe I use for an apple cobbler for 2 calls for a tablespoon of it, and when I looked it up on mfp, the general "Cinnamon, ground" was 17 calories. But now, I'm finding a lot more of options of "cinnamon", and they're saying "0" calories. Just kind of throwing me off a bit......
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've started logging spices, black coffee, etc. Frankly, I don't think 10-15 calories a day makes that much difference, (I know, over the course of a year, that's a pound to 1.5 pounds!), but it's interesting to know. For me, the surprises were chili powder and black coffee.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i always add when i use pepper lol

1 tbsp of pepper is 16 cals lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's a good question - I usually don't if it's a sprinkle but do if it's in a recipe.
  • chocoholicandbaby
    Options
    I log absolutely everything!!

I find that if I skip out on logging something because it's "insignificant" all those "insignificants" add up to be quite significant! If I lick a spoon, put 1/8 of a tsp on cinnamon on my toast whatever it is, if it goes in my mouth I log it!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't. I even stopped logging olive oil since I figured I am not eating the entire serving size of it. Plus, for me - logging all of that stuff would just be way too obsessive.