I'm new, and slightly scared...

Options
A little about me:

I graduated college in 2010, and my husband is currently in his last year of grad school. We're newlyweds--woo! Because of where we live and the economy here, the only job I could get is working as an operator in the local hospital while hubby slaves away in academia. This means I am on my booty all day long. I work every shift during the week, working midnights one day, afternoons the next, and mornings the day after that--but without a set schedule. This craziness means that I haven't had a weekend off in six months, and I almost never have two days off in a row during the week. Schedule = stress. Stress + personal issues = Zoloft. And Zoloft + birth control = weight gain.

I currently weigh about 230lbs and I'm not really motivated to get off my booty and do anything about it because I'm depressed, which makes me want to eat Butterfingers and ice cream.

My husband says I'm beautiful and refuses to fall into the, "But you at least admit I'm a bit chubby, babe, right?" trap. To him, I'm fine, and he won't say otherwise. To me, I'm not fine. It's time to get motivated, but that's hard for me because, with my depression, I feel lethargic. I have support at home: hubby was a track/XC runner in college and still runs at least 20 miles a week, and he's willing to slow down for me and workout whenever I want. His energy makes me feel sick sometimes. :)

I need help kicking this weight so I can feel good about myself and be healthier.

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Its so great that he would run with you! It will be REALLY hard to do, I remember when I was in high school (never did sports, I danced at least) I had these friends who were all about long-distance running. They would run miles every day. I figured, I wanna go (I thought the guys were cute :D) but when I tried running with them, I couldn't keep up. I had to give up within 4-5 blocks!

You have support at home, use MFP forums and friends for more motivation and support :D
    Try to log in to MFP in the beginning of your day or whenever you feel lethargic/depressed about exercising/dieting, the people and the success stories are motivation enough! "D

Y
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Just getting here is half the battle right. Take it one day at a time. Focus on what is working for you right now- the supports you have. It will get better! Add friends-as it does help to have friends on here. I understand what you mean about the depression. Before I started all this all I could do was drag myself to work and come home and sit in front of the tv. I was so depressed that I felt worthless and made bad decisions about my food choices. Here I am 62 lbs lighter with so much more to gain. I no longer take antidepressants too! You CAN conquer this! it IS possible!
  • ConnieBruhn
    Options
    Hey, I started that way also. What is awesome is that once you start getting on a treadmill, elliptical or just walk fast it actually gets rid of much of the depression feeling. Seriously! I feel happier when I do something to work out and off these calories. It takes awhile. I am not loosing lots or fast but I'm learning how much exercise I need to do in order to burn off what I have eaten. It really helps me cut back and cut out things. One muffin or cupcake takes so much energy to burn it off that I'm reaching for different foods now. I know you will be happy about sticking with it. Doesn't matter how beautiful you are at any weight, it is the fact that this extra weight we have around our bellies and booty are shortening up our life span. Choose to live longer. You will be happier.
  • barbarabo
    Options
    I would recommend discussing your meds with your doctor. Not all BCPs cause weight gain and some cause more than others. Maybe there is another they can switch you too. I also was on Zoloft, which helped my depression..like I didn't feel sad or anything, I just didn't feel good, either. tired alot, and no motivation. So my doctor switched me to Pristiq. It works great!!!! I feel so much better and feel motivated to do more. Pristiq is not for everyone, but may be worth talking about with your doctor. good luck!!
  • Shannoncore
    Options
    as soon as you get moving the easier it will become. the first step and first pound is the hardest. once you can get that you can do anything you set your heart and mind to do. take your husband up on the exercising with him. its hard to fail when you have a buddy that is willing to help you do it.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You have made the First, And HARDEST 2 Steps!! You recognized the problem and you reached out for help. You CAN get healthy and you ARE WORTH IT!!

:heart: Welcome to MFP!!
  • barbarabo
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You have made the First, And HARDEST 2 Steps!! You recognized the problem and you reached out for help. You CAN get healthy and you ARE WORTH IT!!

:heart: Welcome to MFP!!

She is right. MFP really helps. It keeps you motivated. I get on here about as much as I get on Facebook! I love being able to track my foods and it really helps to keep me on target. I actually look forward to putting in my foods and exercise and seeing where I am at for the day. Plus, there is so much support on here and people who are where you are, or have been where you are.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Sometimes antidepressants can be a bit like birth control, where you have to trial and error a few to find one that works for your body.. Ask your doc about Welbutrin, which has a reputation for not causing weight gain or loss of sex drive, two of the least desired side effects. Plus it makes you not want to smoke, which sounds like it could be your next vice!! Sorry about your schedule and stress. And welcome to the dark side. We have milk and cookies...but we have to log them. :)
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Hello.

Well done for taking the step to join MFP. You are right 230 is not fine, you don't need your hubby to tell you that. But there are lots of people here in the same exact situation as you, and they are doing great things -- you can, too! I am really proud of you for posting this and reaching out. I understand the depression makes it harder, but once you start to eat better and work out, that will help w/ the depression, too. Hopefully that will eventually enable you to stop taking the drugs, too. Make friends here and use the tools, find some inspiration through others. It will get easier.

Lucy
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared, just start slow.
    Small changes can add up to big outcomes over time.
    Pick one thing that seems realistic - like eating s healthy breakfast or exercising for 20 mins a day, or cutting down on softdrinks or icecream. Focus on that goal for a week and once that becomes habit, work on something else.
    I know this can seem too big and too hard but if you make a small step in the right direction you are on your way!
  • bootbuilder
    Options
    Dont be discouraged!!! I to am married to a runner (ultra marathon guy). I had to start out slow. We have changed our diet for 30 days! to get a jump start. No extra sugars, unnecessary extra calories. I have also started to exercise more. 2-3 x week.

If you work in a multilevel hospital...take the stairs! on your breaks grab a bottle of water and go climb some stairs.
    As for snacks...Veggie's. I know that they are not always satisfying, but they are crunchy, full of flavor and filling! I eat a lot of peppers, spinach, carrots, broccoli. If you like to dip them in dressing, try humus. I didn't think I liked it until I tried it again.

Humus - I use it on my sandwiches rather than mayo.
    Sandwiches - I make wraps or use the 100 calorie sandwich thins for my bread
    Mayo or sour cream replacement - Greek yogurt (mix it with some salsa and you have a great salad dressing)
    Water - well I don't think you can get enough
    Vitamins - keep track on MFP of your vitamin intake. I have noticed a change by having to add a supplement.

Never allow yourself to be starving!!! Eat small meals throughout the day will also help.

Hang in there baby steps add up to giant steps!!!
  • Paulc127
    Options
    The treadmill changed my life. I started out with minimal expectations but found it easy and enjoyable. The more I do, the more I want to do, I miss it on days I take off. It also, takes a little pressure off dieting. I don't consume all of my exercise calories but they do provide a buffer. I also recommend picking up a heart rate monitor. It really helps me work more effectively and efficiently. Finally, for what it's worth,I really like my wife's curves too and didn't care if she joined me in my efforts to lose weight. I'm doing it for my own health and comfort.
  • luckypoisonivy
    Options
    A little about me:

I graduated college in 2010, and my husband is currently in his last year of grad school. We're newlyweds--woo! Because of where we live and the economy here, the only job I could get is working as an operator in the local hospital while hubby slaves away in academia. This means I am on my booty all day long. I work every shift during the week, working midnights one day, afternoons the next, and mornings the day after that--but without a set schedule. This craziness means that I haven't had a weekend off in six months, and I almost never have two days off in a row during the week. Schedule = stress. Stress + personal issues = Zoloft. And Zoloft + birth control = weight gain.

My husband is the exact same way. He doesnt think that I need to lose any weight even though I still need to about 80 more pounds so I just have to keep reminding him that while I would love to be skinny for him I am doing this for me. If you ever need to talk about anything or need support let me know.
  • LolaVaantz
    LolaVaantz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I very much understand the newly wed, healthy hubby, trapped in job, stress, depression, medication, birth control....AVALANCHE!!!!

I gained 40 pounds in the last 2 years since getting on an antidepressant, getting married (very unrelated happy to say) and really had no idea until I weighed myself a week ago (oh shock shock horror horror) how bad it had all gotten. I also would just come home when I was done with work (unpredictable way high stress job) i'd grab food, cuddle the hubs and watch tv. His metabolism is much higher than mine, and in general his activity was higher too combined with a "whatever you want honey" attituded it doesn't add up to healthy eating for me. (as i'm sitting here, he is eating the last of the 2 pounds of grapes I bought yesterday, really if I ate even that much fruit i'd have a 3rd chin)
    I'm two weeks on MFP, joined a challenge, and am already seeing huge changes for myself. I'm checking in with my MFP buddies daily, making an active choice in what comes into the house (I do the shopping), and even though I get cuddle time and tv time still with hubs, I also get a workout in the Den (I can't stand to be watched) and encouraging texts while at work and discover something new (I kept him updated on the pedometer readings today, it really is kind of amazing how many steps you take in a day without thinking about it).

Fried me if you want, we've got a similar battle. Don't be scared, be excited, kick the *kitten* of the depression, love your lovee for loving you the way you are, and get ready to make some changes.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    No need to be scared..we were all in this boat and some of us are still scared on if we can keep this going..but being on MFP is the first start to the right path..if you allow it..we can help :flowerforyou:
  • Musicgrl4life
    Options
    welcome!

I understand the emotional eating. That's mainly how I put on so much weight in the first place. This is a great site to go to for support & motivation. Everyone here is great and very supportive! It helps so much!

Good luck to you on your weight loss! Every bit counts :smile:
  • girlando24
    Options
    Hi Im new too because I have only been logging for over 12 days almost 2 weeks. I have had the same problems too with being tired and depressed, I to take 2 types of pills for depression and anxiety which I hate. I also been going thu the pre menapause and its been going on for a long time. Probably before I even turned 40. Im almost at the 50 yr point and I want to loose my big Fat butt too. One day at a time and lots of comitment to self. I tring really hard and there was last week where I had to have chocolate so I bought those little debbies after they were gone I promised self to think of a better sweet. I bought green grapes and that helped my cravings. I hope you have good luck and keep posting
  • Marshmellin
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement. I just want to start now because...I'm a size 16 (which isn't exactly OMG huge), but I don't want to feel the way I do anymore. I don't want to move up to a size 18. It's hard to motivate myself sometimes to take care of myself, although I've been keeping up with makeup, hair, staying cute, all that fun stuff.

Sometimes, no matter how good you look for "being chubby", though, you know something has to change.

I need more energy, and even though I have great support, I need support from other people who are struggling to lose their battle. My husband, while he's ready and happy to work out with me, doesn't have any goal to meet. He's not in the same boat as me.

I think MFP will be good for me.

Thanks, all! :)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A little about me:

I currently weigh about 230lbs and I'm not really motivated to get off my booty and do anything about it because I'm depressed, which makes me want to eat Butterfingers and ice cream.

My husband says I'm beautiful and refuses to fall into the, "But you at least admit I'm a bit chubby, babe, right?" trap. To him, I'm fine, and he won't say otherwise. To me, I'm not fine. It's time to get motivated, but that's hard for me because, with my depression, I feel lethargic. I have support at home: hubby was a track/XC runner in college and still runs at least 20 miles a week, and he's willing to slow down for me and workout whenever I want. His energy makes me feel sick sometimes. :)

I need help kicking this weight so I can feel good about myself and be healthier.

Ms. Mellin, :)

Ok, let me motivate you right now! I'm 27 and have been married for 8 years, The day I got married, I was 220lbs. I was an operator @ a directory assistance company and was in school. Fast forward to today. I am 331lbs. EWW!! He has always told me that I was beautiful, he loved me no matter what...yada yada. On a positive note...I have done MFP for 85 days TODAY and I have lost 30lbs! I occasionally exercise, but the biggest thing that has helped is logging my food and watching my daily nutrients. You can do this. Please do this. Dont make the mistakes I did. Just start with watching your intake and go from there. P.S. Since you are a newlywed, I will share this...sex is sooooooo much better when you are smaller! ;) I can't wait til I am back to my newlywed weight!! Good luck girlie!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    pps...Prozac here! ;)