Senior weight loss

Options
Hi I’m a senior with health issues Ever since I went on blood pressure medication and beta blockers after having a mini stroke I cannot seem to lose weight. I do take water pills and exercise to the best I can with balance and health issues Any ideas suggestions would help Thank u

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Have you been logging all your food? There is a calorie number that will allow you to manage your weight and to lose weight. I had to log food for a few months to figure that out.

At one point I was on a tricyclic and propranolol (beta blocker) for migraines, and I had trouble with weight gain too. For me the medications just made me want to do nothing other than sit and eat. They really slowed me down in general. I wasn't even successfully managing my household chores. That's a recipe for disaster as far as managing weight.

I don't take them any more, but I do have to exercise almost daily to keep my blood pressure consistently in the right range and to manage my hunger level. It's also really important for me to keep the weight off - for lots of health reasons. There is some exercise you can do. For instance, what about a water aerobics class for seniors? They are a lot of fun, and balance isn't a requirement.

Maybe your doctor could prescribe a gym membership. My insurance as a senior includes a gym membership, so maybe look at your medicare benefits?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I addition to Riverside's excellent advice, there are free online videos (on YouTube, among other places) of seated exercises. Some of those may be manageable for you.

Any movement is better than not-movement, healthwise . . . and can begin to improve balance and most health issues. It need not be super-vigorous to be beneficial: Just a slight, manageable challenge is the sweet spot. Don't do so much that you're wiped out for the whole day, just enough to feel maybe a bit of a "whew" reaction for a few minutes right after the exercise.

I'm a senior, severely hypothyroid so was concerned about slow metabolism and ability to lose weight. I was formerly obese with high blood pressure and high cholesterol/triglycerides, and was able to lose weight exactly as Riverside describes, by finding the right calorie level, figuring out to stay full/happy/well-nourished within those calories, and sticking with it.

Now I don't have high blood pressure or high cholesterol/triglycerides: All solidly normal range.

I didn't increase exercise to lose weight (I was already active despite being obese). I just managed my calorie intake. That can work, with or without exercise.

Exercise is good for health, though - physical and psychological. Are you able to get a physiotherapist referral to learn types of exercise that are safe and beneficial for you? That would be ideal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Another resource for exercise might be your local senior center, if you have one. I volunteer for mine and they have tons of programs, many of them free.

While I am a huge proponent of exercise for health, how much you eat is even more important for weight loss.

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and I have found many You-tube videos helpful- I just watch and see which ones seem to have people that look like me(smile) in other words not just ultra young folks and I follow along(I like leslie Sansone walking videos- and some other = Walk and tone videos- there are tons-- but each person has to decide what they want to do- there are even chair exercises, walking light weight lifting etc-