Gout

Options
rushed2it
rushed2it Posts: 24 Member
Does anybody have any ideas or meals that would help with gout?

Replies

• kev865
    kev865 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My gout has improved with ketovore. If you’re not on low carb, 100% cherry juice works great for gout.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    There are so many lists online, but they all include red meats and offal, alcohol, sweet drinks and snacks, etc. Check them out. And if you can get it, an appointment with a registered dietician might be an idea.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Greatly reduce red meat and alcohol, lose weight, drink tons of water especially from the moment you suspect an attack is starting. That should all help a lot.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    A neighbour of mine was diagnosed with gout and went vegan.
  • jwasson3
    jwasson3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My husband used to have gout issues……..we researched. Tart cherry juice (2-4 oz a day) is suppose to help keep gout away. He really struggled with the taste, so we purchased dried cherries at Costco (Aldi carries them as well as Amazon). He eats about 1/4 cup before bed and hasn’t had issues in years! The cherries also help with sleep so that’s a bonus!
  • bobschmidt21
    bobschmidt21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There’s a product called Gouch you can buy at the health food store. You can buy it in liquid form or capsule form. I like the capsules. It’s made from tart cherry juice which helps with overall inflation.

Ive struggled with hereditary gout. My dad had it and my two brothers also struggle with it. In the last few years I’ve lost over 100 pounds, switched to mostly lean meat, eat lots veggies, and I drink tons and tons of water. I still get flare ups though. India’s one a few weeks ago that woke me up in the middle of the night. It felt like someone clamped my foot in a vice and then set it on fire. I ended up going to the ER and that gave me some oral steroids. Worked like a charm.
  • djscavone1
    djscavone1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Joining the conversation late.
    I met with a dietitian and nutritionist and logged everything. Measured my purines, basically. Met with the Dr. and she prescribed allopurinol.

I found taking that drug once a day and going almost 100% vegetarian worked. I can have red meat in low quantities. For me that means 3 to 6 oz at a meal and I only do that once a month. Poultry sets me off so it is out. I have not have shell fish or any fish other than Salmon in about a year so I don't know how that is. In the past clams, shrimp, and haddock would trigger an attack.

No alcohol at all. No wine, beer, or liquor. That retards the process of eliminating purines to uric acid and out of my body. So it does not trigger gout but it is a leading contributor.

I hate being a vegetarian as my wife is not nor are our friends and relatives. Going out to dine is a problem for me and they mostly feel guilty if they select a restaurant that does not have any vegetarian options or only the usual bean burger. I also feel like I had to learn how to cook all over again so when I make a meal for my wife I can leverage most of the ingredients and just try and substitute a protein. In. the beginning I was starving myself of proteins.

On the positive side once I cut alcohol and and reduced my meal portions (just because I couldn't really eat too much when I hated what I was eating) I lost a lot of weight and several inches off of my waist in just a few months. I have kept it off now almost a year.

I do feel good and have had no major attacks. Just the one when I tried Chicken again about two months ago.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your gout. I never had any issues with beef, poultry, fish, etc causing gout flare ups. Most typically they just came out of the blue or came after very excessive alcohol consumption. My gout is largely hereditary and due to my body producing too much uric acid on its own. I take Colchicine Probenecid and I haven't had any random flareups since I started taking it. I've had a couple of flareups in the last couple of years despite the medication just from too much partying. Pretty much so long as I don't drink in excess I'm fine. Some alcohol seems to be fine, just not too much.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    My husband suffers with Gout…not entirely surprisingly since his chosen diet is rich in red meat, fats and alcohol…

Doing research I can across cherry supplements which he now takes daily. He swears by them. 🤷‍♀️