I've Lost 60 Pounds and FEEL GREAT!

Options

Replies

• saggynaggy65
    saggynaggy65 Posts: 68 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I too lost 27 pounds doing IF. I also watched my carb intake and worked out in a fasted state. It was the first time in my life (56 years) I lost weight effortlessly!
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! I too lost 27 pounds doing IF. I also watched my carb intake and worked out in a fasted state. It was the first time in my life (56 years) I lost weight effortlessly!

Me too. I'm so excited about IF that I tell everybody about it. It's the only "plan" that has ever worked for me and is something I can live with. It's improved my health 100%. I go about my day not thinking about food but plan and prepare my dinner for later. I eat healthy whole foods that are completely satisfying. I don't measure or count calories or obsess over what I'm eating. I feel free from the old dieting mentality. I only wish I'd known about it sooner!
  • prettyfitkitty
    prettyfitkitty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Inspiring!! and Mobility regain is everything, huh? :D
  • Sulekhatc
    Sulekhatc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Barb, Congrats on your weight loss. I too have lost 60 lbs since 2014. a slow journey but off and on I have kept up the good eating habits. My questions to you is that being diabetic did IF pose any problems? I am 53 and my A1c is at 9.1 so I need a good control on my sweet tooth and carb intake. Any help you can offer would be so kind. Thank you.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options

It really is. Impaired mobility (and balance which is a part of it) is why people fall. My health is so good now but a broken hip would signal doom for me. I love getting around on my own and I my legs are getting stronger every day.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    Sulekhatc wrote: »
    Hi Barb, Congrats on your weight loss. I too have lost 60 lbs since 2014. a slow journey but off and on I have kept up the good eating habits. My questions to you is that being diabetic did IF pose any problems? I am 53 and my A1c is at 9.1 so I need a good control on my sweet tooth and carb intake. Any help you can offer would be so kind. Thank you.

I wasn't on any diabetic medications and practicing IF didn't cause any problems. I always had tons of energy so I don't believe my blood sugar was ever low. I followed a high protein diet with lots of low calorie fresh veggies. I'd occasionally have a complex carb (like potato, rice, pasta, peas, corn, beans), but I never had more than one at a meal and kept the portions very small.

As you already know, you really need to get your A1C down (I'm a RN). Starches and Sweets are not your friends. Go for more protein and steamed low calorie vegetables, make salads and relish plates with raw vegetables. Stay away from bread and anything made from flour. There's not much nutrition there and you don't need it.

Feel friend to add me as your friend and I'll encourage you all I can!
  • oliviakohair
    oliviakohair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is awesome and is so inspiring!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    This is awesome and is so inspiring!

Thank you, Olivia. I was hoping it would inspire others.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Learning a new way of living can change our lives.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    mjglantz wrote: »
    Congratulations! Learning a new way of living can change our lives.

Yes. IF and a good wholesome whole foods diet works for me and is sustainable.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options

It most definitely is!
  • jmjanne1
    jmjanne1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great job! this post inspires me. I'm going to bookmark it and read it again and again.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    jmjanne1 wrote: »
    Great job! this post inspires me. I'm going to bookmark it and read it again and again.

jmjanne1, I'm so glad you're inspired. YOU CAN DO IT! Sometimes hearing how someone else was in our shoes and managed to overcome is all it takes to motivate us to do the same thing.

I love reading how people lost AND MAINTAINED their weight loss. I think maintaining is the most important thing. I'm still holding at -60 pounds and I'm deliberately not pushing myself for more right now. I think it's helpful to give your body a chance to adjust and stabilize before continuing. My ultimate goal is to have lost 100 and I'm sure I'll make it. As for now, I'm really happy with my renewed health, the feeling of well-being and wearing smaller clothes.

Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • TonyG111160
    TonyG111160 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow - well done.
    Thank you for posting this - I am 62 and had all but given up trying. But if you can do this at 75 surely I can do it too. You have inspired me to start again as of today and see if I can shift some lbs and more importantly keep them off!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    Wow - well done.
    Thank you for posting this - I am 62 and had all but given up trying. But if you can do this at 75 surely I can do it too. You have inspired me to start again as of today and see if I can shift some lbs and more importantly keep them off!

You absolutely can do it! I had given up too but starting to eat according to the Intermittent Fasting way turned my life around and improved my health by 100%. I recommend that you read all you can about IF and watch the videos by Dr Jason Fung and Dr Pradip Jamnadas on YouTube. Best wishes! Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • Oldyogi48
    Oldyogi48 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! Excellent work!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    Oldyogi48 wrote: »
    Wow! Excellent work!

Thank you! It hasn't really been that hard. Each day gets easier as I don't have a voracious appetite anymore. Not sure what's caused that... could be the intermittent fasting or could be that I'm nourishing my body properly with whole foods and don't eat sweets and junk anymore. But having a large appetite has plagued me all my life and whatever has decreased it is fine with me!
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Congratulations sister! Regaining mobility is my main goal along with the subsequent weight loss needed to help keep cancer recurrence at bay. You are an amazing example of a positive spirit! Keep up the good work Barb, I know you will reach your goals!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!