How do you control your late night cravings?

Options
If i'm having late night cravings, I drink a glass of water and go straight to bed :) . Works wonders

What are your tips?

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth, nothing tastes good after that.

Or some cottage cheese for the casein, then go to bed.
  • TheGoalDigger
    TheGoalDigger Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Really? Brushing my teeth don't really work for me, as long as my tummy is growling I eat
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    eat as few carbs as possible and as much protein during the day and you will get rid of 90% of the all-day-and-night cravings.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Green tea works for me
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

Really? Brushing my teeth don't really work for me, as long as my tummy is growling I eat

Brushing my teeth doesn't work for me either. But I know when I'm at my calorie limit for the day that I'm not eating out of hunger, so I just deal with the discomfort. I think that's something people fail to realize: it's okay to be uncomfortable for half a second sometimes. lol
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I second Kym,

A nice hot cup of TEA!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    sugar free pudding....only 60 cals and curbs that sweet craving
  • NFLBUNNY
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try that! :) Thanks.:happy:
  • stayathomezookeepa
    Options
    sugar free gum and green tea. Sometimes it takes 2 cups lol but it works :)
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    By the time its night I am too tired to eat anything even if I have missed dinner and am hungry. The bed is more attractive than food at that time.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If i'm having late night cravings, I drink a glass of water and go straight to bed :) . Works wonders

What are your tips?

I'm hypoglycemic, so late night cravings for me are a clue that my blood sugar is dropping. This sometimes happens to me even while sleeping. Typically, i have some form of dairy - a few bites of cottage cheese or a couple of pieces of string cheese or a yogurt. I've also been known to grab a protein bar (Power Crunch Wild Berry Creme are my current favorites) or drink a protein shake.

I also have times I grab other stuff which leads to eating a full meal in the middle of the night. I don't usually sweat it though - it's rare enough for me that I figure it's what my body needs.
  • zoodalia
    Options
    A hot cup of water, it works for me.
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This has been a real struggle for me, ever since I began MFP. I feel like just in these last few days I've finally gotten the mental discipline to tell myself, 'NO.' Sometimes I'll have tea, but what I find most effective is to just stay the hell out of the KITCHEN.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I go out and walk/jog.
  • catniph
    Options
    My husband doesn't normally get in until 9.30pm at the earliest (Tuesday he got in at 11.25 :noway: ); so normally we eat our dinner very late anyway - not great I know, but I try to have a few smaller meals throughout the day and then we have a small dinner together when he gets in.
    I figure that while it's far from a perfect situation, at least we are sticking to our calories and seem to be losing weight still.

My problem is trying to find something healthy and not hideously calorific to snack on between the time I get home (about 5.30) & when he does.
    Raw cauliflower is one of my fave snacks, especially with a home made low fat dip. I don't seem to need very much to see me through.
    Or I do enjoy a small milky coffee (boiled milk in cold weather; icy cold milk in hot!).
    If I'm really hungry and have the calories, I will boil an egg and have it with a little extra light mayo/salad cream mix!
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    As I'm up at 540am I go to bed at 830pm...no late night cravings as asleep by 9pm!
    But I use to have a green apple or bowl of all bran, drink of water and then BED
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    The easiest fix for late night cravings is to eat.
  • espie1024
    Options
    having slim a soup.which is like water only ,n stay longer .
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth once you have eaten all you intend to. That way you aren't going to be tempted to go and hunt for more when you get bored.
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth!

Whenever I feel hungry I drink a pint of water, and if that doesn't stop the craving, then brush brush brush :)