jogging in place SUCCESS STORIES please?

Replies

• nesmtl
    nesmtl Posts: 1 Member
    what is nice to jog in place is to watch videos of virtual runs. Some videos are so beautiful
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    It has served me well. I do interval training. I jog then walk then jog then walk. i alternate back and forth and I burn lots of calories. Sometimes while watching television, I get up during commercials and jog in place. If you live with someone, do it together. It's great.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    hi all :) i just found out that you can burn 332 calories in 45 mins if you jog in place :O i dk why i find it hard to believe.. please share your success stories .. i am going to try out this.. thanks:)

Its been 8 years....how have you made out? Would love to hear!

I use a small trampoline to jog on....I need to prevent the jolt to my knees and feet.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member

I use a small trampoline to jog on....I need to prevent the jolt to my knees and feet.

Me too! I am older and had hip replacements back in 2015. I jog in place 30 minutes nearly every day to upbeat music. Not only does it burn mad calories, but it's gentle on the joints and you can adjust the intensity to meet your own fitness level. When I first started 2.5 years and ~85 lbs./6 stone ago, it was all I could do to manage a slow 5 minutes. But I built up my endurance, greatly improved my CV health and reshaped my lower body. I would highly recommend rebounding to anyone at any fitness level.

• tdarke1
    tdarke1 Posts: 38 Member
    hi all :) i just found out that you can burn 332 calories in 45 mins if you jog in place :O i dk why i find it hard to believe.. please share your success stories .. i am going to try out this.. thanks:)

The OP was last active July 2018 when you look at the profile. I think MFP recycles these success stories to keep folks motivated....it may be of some help. But people expect to get a response from the original poster, who may not even be using the app. now. :/
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited November 2022
    I saw that but don't mind a good zombie thread if it's relevant. Sometimes I'll search and read an old thread rather than start a new one. There's plenty of good info to be mined.

Now if only folks would do that with "Should I Eat Back My Exercise Calories?" 🤣
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    tdarke1 wrote: »

The OP was last active July 2018 when you look at the profile. I think MFP recycles these success stories to keep folks motivated....it may be of some help. But people expect to get a response from the original poster, who may not even be using the app. now. :/

MFP doesn't recycle them...another user finds them and posts and brings the zombie thread back to life. MFP doesn't hard close any discussion like other platforms do so someone just has to leave a comment and a thread that's been buried for years will suddenly pop up on most recent.
  • Something old is new again! I enjoyed reading the responses and connecting with others anyway! The last time I tried to rebound, I was too obese for any of the rebounding thingys... GUESS WHAT??? I am not too obese anymore!! So now because of that response I can consider asking the hubby for a rebounder for some crazy fun gymnastics in the living room! lols
  • JustRamona
    JustRamona Posts: 399 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I saw that but don't mind a good zombie thread if it's relevant. Sometimes I'll search and read an old thread rather than start a new one. There's plenty of good info to be mined.

Now if only folks would do that with "Should I Eat Back My Exercise Calories?" 🤣

hmmmmmmmmmmm the exercise calorie thread ?? - gotta' find that one!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    The floor inside your home: the poor person's treadmill. Yep, don't bother spending money on this it takes up space and you can literally do the same thing without it!
    Wise words. Unless one has specific disabilities or requirements, all that is needed is oneself and the place one happens to be in. Let's be honest, "gyms" and "equipment" did not exist when our ancestors evolved into us. They didn't need them to evolve into us, and we don't need them to stay that way.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    tdarke1 wrote: »

Yes, I know. But I wanted to see if she was still around and how things went in the past 8 years. :smile:
  • @sandirice5343 Way to crush it! Do you listen to music to pace? I have thought about that. I don't normally jog either, although I am currently capable for the first time since my teens.

Also, I am about to look up "nature walks" on youtube from that other poster that mentioned that kind of thing. I had never even thought about it before. I would like something to help me keep pace though, so I have an idea what I am doing.

I am glad others posted I have already gotten at least 3 good ideas, when I thought I totally had it sorted! Thank you!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    Encouraging you to continue to do your routines in your home and in your own comfort zone….of course you can not leave your small child unsupervised while following someone’s advice. Many people enjoy running/jogging in place while viewing a TV show or other program, it’s wonderful that you’ve found what works for you at this time in your life. 👏👍👏👍👏
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Nice thread even though it's an older one. Just like older folks, this thread still has a lot of wisdom to share! I find it kind of funny/sad when someone dismissively says "just get a treadmill." Well it's not always that easy. First, they cost money. Second, they can take up a fair bit of space. Maybe you don't have a power outlet in your exercise area? Maybe you don't want to have a big expensive clothes rack?

I LOVE that some folks choose walking or jogging in place. It's free, you can do it without going outside, and literally everyone has space to do it. In the neighborhood I live, I can't "just go for a walk." I'd love to but circumstance doesn't allow it. I don't want to hop in the truck every time I want to walk. So I, too, jog in place. I really need to do it more often. So thank you for the inspiration!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited December 2022
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    Nice thread even though it's an older one. Just like older folks, this thread still has a lot of wisdom to share! I find it kind of funny/sad when someone dismissively says "just get a treadmill." Well it's not always that easy. First, they cost money. Second, they can take up a fair bit of space. Maybe you don't have a power outlet in your exercise area? Maybe you don't want to have a big expensive clothes rack?

I LOVE that some folks choose walking or jogging in place. It's free, you can do it without going outside, and literally everyone has space to do it. In the neighborhood I live, I can't "just go for a walk." I'd love to but circumstance doesn't allow it. I don't want to hop in the truck every time I want to walk. So I, too, jog in place. I really need to do it more often. So thank you for the inspiration!
    You raise a few interesting points. I live in a single-room bachelor suite, and wouldn't know where to put a treadmill unless I replace my bed. They do indeed take up a lot of space, they are expensive, they require maintenance and they make quite a bit of noise. I don't think my neighbours would like me too much if I started firing up a treadmill at 03:00 or even any other time of the day. And let's not forget: an electrical treadmill does most of the work for you. All you do, is move your legs while the device is moving the ground, which is why it needs electricity. That electricity is energy you are not expending (obviously, unless it is a "manual" treadmill).

Sure, there is a "gym" nearby, but I think that is ridiculous. I have to get ready, then walk there, only to walk some more on a treadmill until I get bored, which is essentially immediately, and then walk back, and get comfortable again, all while paying for a membership of what is essentially a largely useless equipment storage facility. And to make things worse, the gym in my neighbourhood is only accessible by elevator (not by stairs!). How could it possibly be more ridiculous than that?

What I do, is listen to the news, or some programme, on my headphones during the night and my Soundwear during the day, while walking from my door to my window and back. It works fine, and I can get in 6 thousand to 10 thousand step just about any day I am not so busy that I don't get enough sleep. That is great during the hot summer, and great during the cold and slippery winter. It is great when it is windy, and great when it is rainy or snowy.

Exercise is overrated and made too complicated. All that is needed is physical activity. Not exercise. That is for professionals who want to compete in sports events.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    There are a large number of walking videos on YouTube, such as Leslie Sansone that was mentioned earlier! She has 4 basic steps, and adds the option of embellishments here and there. It helps keep boredom away if your routine needs some spice. You don't have to do everything she does, you can just keep walking in place to her peppy music. She has one mile walks, 2 mile walks, 3 mile, etc. And some add movement with stretchy arm bands, again an option. Helps upper body, and good for muscles under back fat! I like her videos because you can work at your level of limitations or do more if you want to increase your movements. I have a very small and crowded house, and all I need is an area with about 4-5 steps in all directions. Theres a 15 minute walk for those with limited time and energy.My favorites are the 3 mile walks, about 47 minutes. In fact, I better got off this computer and go do one. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!