New Here & Need to Lose 100 + lbs!

angelamock17
angelamock17 Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2022 in Motivation and Support
Hi Everyone,

My name is Angela and I am 408lbs and want to get down to about 175lbs (233lbs to lose). I know I have a long journey ahead of me. I am finally seeing a nutritionist to help sort out all of the diet information in my head. I have done so many diets from weight watchers to keto, whole 30 and many more. I have had success on many but none I could live with. There was always something wrong with each one. I am realizing now at 44 that much of the wrong was that my head wasn't full in it as a life change but just a diet. So I am working hard with God to get my head right! I am at the heaviest I have ever been and hate it. It is hard to walk and put on shoes and socks. I can't use the seatbelt properly in the car and I'm always tired. I am on day 4 of using My Fitness Pal and following healthy guidelines. My calories have been around 1800 and one day at 2100. My nutritionist wants me to focus on protein and vegetables. I can still have carbs but to limit them to one serving 5 times a day (3 meals & 2 snacks). This carb includes fruit. I have been eating a fruit and protein for each of my snacks and enjoyed that. When I look at the carbs I consume at the end of the day it shows almost half of my food being carbs so it is discouraging. I know many vegetables have carbs so that is part of it. Maybe I just shouldn't look at the chart. LOL. I don't have vegetables for breakfast except for an occasional veggie scramble but for now I probably won't have that. I struggle to eat vegetables so just making sure I get half my plate at lunch and dinner is a huge deal for me. Anyone struggle with getting enough veggies in? What solutions have worked for you? Anyway glad to be here and hope there are more people to join in!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    You are just starting so don't get discouraged. It sounds like you are on a sensible path. Everyone has to change things up as they go along. At first, it's just important to get your logging down. Read the sticky posts that are chock full of useful information to start. Don't worry about carbs, if you're eating vegetables. Carbs are energy, especially if you are exercising. They are not bad for you, you just don't want to exaggerate. Follow the amount of carbs MFP gives you or your nutritionist's suggestions.

It's just important to stay within your daily calorie goal for now. Good luck. You'll be fine.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Welcome. I think you may be in the right place :-) I needed to lose 100 and by keeping coming back here I'm over halfway there. MFP allows you to monitor your macros so you can see how much protein is in your diet. It is possible (maybe with the paid version?) to set your own macro goals for a day so if you are working with a nutritionist they can help you set these targets. Good luck, i would recommend friending some people on here and building a little support network. The social side of MFP really helps. There are also some great groups you can join which are very supportive (such as the ultimate accountability challange - new group each month) . Good luck
  • newHampshirite
    newHampshirite Posts: 180 Member
    Angela,
    Your nutritionist's advice strikes me as being right on. Keeping up on your protein intake serves two purposes:
    1. It keeps you from feeling hungry. If you get 25-35 grams of protein with each meal, there is a good chance you won't be hungry all day.
    2. It helps maintain your muscle mass. You want to lose fat, not muscle. You are operating at a calorie deficit, but you don't want to operate at much of a protein deficit. As your muscles break down, as they do constantly for all of is, your body tries to repair them, especially if you are exercising. Your body needs amino acids from the proteins in food to repair your muscles. If you don't eat enough protein, you will lose muscle mass. Losing muscle mass is losing weight but it is not a good way to lose weight. For one, muscle requires more calories to maintain on a per unit mass basis, as compared to fat. In other words, you burn more calories maintaining (keeping alive) a pound of your own muscle than you burn maintaining a pound of your own fat. The other thing is that as important as it is to lose weight, the real goal is to improve fitness. Weight loss is but one component to fitness improvement. You want to keep up your strength as well.

I interpret the vegetable eating advice as having to do with getting enough fiber in your diet without getting too many calories. Keeping up with your fiber serves two purposes as well.
    1. It helps keep you from feeling hungry. On a per calorie basis, fiber takes up a lot of room in your digestive system, thus helping you feel full.
    2. It is good for the digestion, as long as you imbibe plenty of water (including the water in foods and water-based beverages). Good digestion is part of overall fitness and good health.

The advice your nutritionist gave you on limiting carbohydrates also serves more than one purpose.
    1. Eating foods that are quite high in carbohydrates due to added sugar, such as cookies, candy, cake, ice cream, pie, and cheesecake, makes you crave foods that are quite high in carbohydrates, such as cookies, candy, cake, ice cream, pie, and cheesecake. Unfortunately, if you replace these with similar foods made with artificial sweeteners instead of sugar, the cravings are just a great if not greater.
    High-starch foods such as potato chips trigger cravings too; you probably heard the ad line, "You can't eat just one."
    2. If you are getting enough protein and fiber, while still eating appropriate amounts of healthy fats, overdoing it on the carbs will put you over your calorie limit.
    3. When my cholesterol started creeping up on me, my doctor told me to cut down on carbohydrates. I did, and the (bad) cholesterol level went down. Most humans do not store the cholesterol they eat, rather, they make their own cholesterol from carbohydrates.
  • newHampshirite
    newHampshirite Posts: 180 Member
    So now for the advice.

1. Use the MyfitnessPal guided setup to establish your daily goals. Enter your current weight and height as well as your goal weight. Select "sedentary" as your lifestyle, even if you are a postal carrier; this will help keep you on the safe side. Choose calories for tracking your energy and select "lose 1 pound per week." Set the workouts at about what you think you will actually keep up with. You should work up to at least 5 workouts a week and 30 minutes per workout.

2. Change what MyFitnesPal displays in the "Totals, Your Daily Goals, Remaining" table near the bottom of the page so that it displays info on Carbs, Proteins, Fats, Saturated Fats, and Fiber.

3. On a daily basis, aim to exceed by at least a little, the "Your Daily Goals" protein amount. Try to meet or exceed the "Your Daily Goals" fiber amount. Try to keep your daily carbohydrate total below the "Your Daily Goals" amount. Try to keep your total calories below the "Your Daily Goals" amount. Don't worry too much about the fats, a little above or a little below "Your Daily Goals" amount in the fats columns is fine, but be aware that each gram of fat contributes about 9 calories to your diet while each gram of protein or carbohydrates contributes about 4 grams to your diet. So if you are exceeding your total calories goal, a peek at the fat numbers might help you figure out why that is.

4. Shoot for about 1/3 of your daily protein amount at breakfast, 1/3 at lunch, and 1/3 at supper. (Feel free to count the snack between breakfast and lunch as part of your breakfast, and the snack between lunch and supper as part of your lunch in monitoring your per-meal protein intake.) Likewise for your per-meal fiber intake.

5. Dring 1-2 cups of water before each meal. This will help you avoid hunger and help with digestion.

6. Eat almost all of your protein in the form of meat, fish, or poultry. (Mix it up but don't eat fish more than twice a week because of the mercury.) I like to boil 5 pieces of red meat in a half a gallon of water in one pot while boiling about 5 pieces of poultry in another half-gallon of water in another, about once per week. I add onion, carrots, celery, garlic and seasonings (and bell peppers if I have them) to each pot. After removing the cooked meat and poultry, I put each pot of broth through the blender before refrigerating it. Some folks use protein powder instead, but I think the chewing process is part of what makes it so that I am almost never hungry.

7. Don't let our culture lock you into a specific kind of breakfast. There is no reason to feel you can only select from things like eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, pancakes, and waffles. Bacon and sausage are highly prepared food items. You are better off with plain beef, pork, lamb, chicken, or turkey. I recommend a 3-5 ounce chunk of meat and a natural source of fiber.

8. To get your fiber numbers up there without having to eat tons of vegetables, eat a quarter cup of cooked beans each day. I'm not talking about string beans, green beans, or wax beans, (which are good for you to eat as well) but beans like navy beans, lima beans, kidney beans, etc. (I cook up a cup of Bob's Red Mill soup mix about once per week. For breakfast, in addition to the meat/poultry mentioned above, I heat up a cup to 2 cups of the broth/soup mentioned above and then cool it down by adding a quarter cup of cooked beans to it before eating it.) You might want to consume some Beano along with the beans to ameliorate the side effect of the beans.

9. Cook up a bag of frozen vegetables (mixed vegetables, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, kale and the like; stay away from potatoes and plain corn) and keep them in the refrigerator for snacking and for lunch. Cook up another bag as soon as you run out. (I just dump the bag in a big glass bowl, put a ceramic dinner plate on top, pop it in the microwave and press the "frozen foods" button. Season as desired but don't butter. If you eat a cup of vegetables as part of your lunch and each of two snacks, you'll get your 5 servings a day in easily. Fresh vegetables, or salads (with just balsamic vinegar), and occasionally fruit can be substituted for the frozen vegetables. Occasional canned tomatoes, beets, and sour kraut work too but I wouldn't recommend canned vegetables that you can buy in frozen form.

10. Keep some hard-boiled eggs, milk (non-fat if you like it) and cottage cheese, in the refrigerator for those occasions (make them infrequent) when you run out of meat/poultry and you don't feel like cooking up some fish. They also come in handy on days when you notice you haven't eaten enough protein. An apple, or some fiber gummies (eaten according to directions) come in handy when you are falling short of your fiber intake goal.

11. Assuming your supper is a normal balanced meal without desert, keep eating what you usually eat (except to avoid heavy starches like potatoes, white rice and bread) for supper but keep the amount down enough to meet your calorie goals.

12. Log everything you eat as accurately as practical in MyFitnessPal. The MyFitnessPal tools make it easy to do this. Use a food scale when practical and use a measuring cup when that is more practical. If you have to estimate, and you err, err on the high side. Make sure you have everything you have eaten before supper, logged before supper, to guide you on how much you can eat for supper without exceeding your calorie goals.

13. Make your food diary viewable by your MyFitnessPal friends. Even if no one looks at it, just knowing that it is out there will help motivate you to meet your daily goals.

14. Don't eat after supper. As long as you maintain your calorie deficit, this might not make any difference in losing weight, but remember, you are in this for improving your fitness/health; weight loss is just a part of it. This will help you sleep better and avoid heartburn and acid reflux.

15. Exercise. From what I have read, there is no correlation between weight loss and exercising, but again, the goal is to improve fitness, not just lose weight. Also, from what I have read, there is a correlation between maintaining your goal weight and exercise. Once you get your weight down to 175 lbs, you are going to want to keep it there, not let it go right back up to your current weight. Begin with the end in mind. Work yourself up to the amount of exercise you think you will be able to maintain for a lifetime. Start off slowly, but start right away. Starting off slowly will not only help avoid hurting yourself but will also allow you the satisfaction that comes with doing a little bit more each week. Suppose you are only comfortable walking from your front door to your back door. Do that every day for a week. Then the next week, do the round trip every day. Perhaps the week after that you'll be able to walk half a block down the street and back. Start small and build gradually. I remember doing this after back surgery. It works. Log your exercise in MyFitnessPal; it is satisfying, and it allows for eating a few more calories while still losing weight.

16. As @davert123 recommended, don't neglect the social support aspect. You can help other people and other people can help you. The very fact that you posted here suggests you will be good at this.

17. For the most part, avoid foods with added sugar. They tend to make you crave foods with added sugar. As far as will power for weight loss is concerned, you'll have to use will power to avoid foods with added sugar for about a week. After that, I think you'll find that the cravings are gone and you won't need to exercise much will power to maintain a steady weight loss.

18. Weigh in once per week (at the same time of day, e.g. when you first wake up in the morning, each week) and log your weight in the MyFitnessPall Check-In page. Each time you weigh in, if your weight has changed, go back to the guided setup, enter your new weight, and make it recalculate your recommended calories--those recommendations change as you lose weight.

19. Evaluate your progress every couple of months and make adjustments accordingly.

20. I think all of this is in accord with the recommendations of your nutritionist, but, if there are contradictions, go with what your nutritionist recommends. Be aware that I'm just another MyFitnessPal user and my recommendations are what works for me; everybody is different; what works for one person might not be the best way to go for another person.

• I also have a lot of weight to lose, and like you, I have made myself crazy over the years trying to follow various (and often contradictory) diets and food rules. Recently, though, I came across a group on Facebook called "Lose Weight, Eat Pizza," and it's really changed my outlook and made me hopeful. It's not about literally eating pizza. The idea of the group is that regardless of what foods you choose to eat or not eat, you WILL lose weight if you eat in a calorie deficit, and they encourage keeping the deficit fairly modest and realistic. Satisfaction and sustainability are key! Amazing success stories within that group, so check it out! As you said, you are trying to change your lifestyle, not just go on a diet. Same with me. Unless you have issues with your blood sugar, I wouldn't worry about monitoring your carbs. In fact, you might consider going into your diary settings and removing all the macros (protein, fat, carbs) entirely, and counting ONLY calories. It keeps things simpler and is incredibly freeing knowing that you can eat whatever you want. The process of counting calories provides kind of subtle guidelines of its own, as you make determinations about which foods are, or are not, "worth" the calories. You start each day with a certain number of calories in the bank... it's up to you how to spend them in a way that keeps you happy, healthy and satisfied... and not stressed out! Wishing you much success!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    You may wish to try this with cut up broccoli, cauliflower, or Brussel sprouts (halved): spray oil on a baking sheet, place veggies on sheet, spray oil on veggies, and then, sprinkle with a spice mix (I use Kroger’s no-salt onion and herb mix). Roast at 400F until tender for ~10 min, depending on size. Very few calories. I wish you the best.
  • angelamock17
    angelamock17 Posts: 4 Member
    Angela, you can do this one day, one meal at a time. You are so right, doing this starts in your head. I'm 64 and started a similar journey on March 1st 2021. Starting weight was 412. I wanted to lose a good amount pretty quickly so I dropped calories to between 1200-1400 for almost a year and currently keeping it 1400-1600. I've lost 219 so far. Unless you're diabetic I wouldn't worry too much about counting carbs as long as having carbs doesn't make you crave things you shouldn't have. I focus on protein and use the .36 grams of protein for every pound I weigh which isn't always possible but I do make sure I have 70 grams a day. Try doing a stir fry with whatever vegetables you do like and add in riced cauliflower, it takes on the flavor of whatever spices etc you cook it with you can fix a lot at once then use it with some egg whites in an egglife eggwhite wrap for breakfast, a low calorie/low carb tortilla with baked-grilled-canned chicken for lunch adding a couple lettuce leaves, or as a side with baked pork/beef/salmon etc for dinner. I eat a lot of fruit but try to eat the lower calorie/carb ones most often (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, plums, clementines, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, cantaloupe, peaches). I also love bread and eat a lot sandwiches but use Lewis Bake Shop Healthy Life Keto bread, the white bread has 30 calories, 9 carbs, 8 fiber and 5 grams of protein per slice so basically the fiber count gives you a 1 net carb count. It's really important for me log every bite that goes in my mouth, even if it's a tic tac (they have calories even if the container says they don't) I'll stop here as I could go on forever, make this work for you. Good luck and God bless

Wow, that is amazing what you have accomplished! Definitely inspires me. Thank you for everything you said from not worrying about carbs too much unless it is making me crave food to adding veggies in and the keto bread. I have been eating50 calorie tortilla like wraps with lots of fiber and protein but I do love bread and will try that. Thank You!
  • mustang5212
    mustang5212 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for your kind words. The important thing is to focus on what works for you. People will say you have to exercise a certain amount or until you sweat etc. which is all wrong if it doesn't work for you. I haven't done any exercise till I sweated but I have been diligent in doing water exercise 3 times a week. I have also tried to sit a little less each day and stay busy. Some will say you shouldn't use any artificial sweeteners, I use a lot and also use products made with them, they cause absolutely no cravings for me but if they do for you then avoid them. Others will say you shouldn't eat after a certain time of day, again it's wrong if it doesn't work for you. I have eaten a serving of Dannon fit and Light Greek yogurt every night as I'm laying in bed reading before I go to sleep since March 2021, sometimes I'll have extra calories and even eat something else, lol. I look for the lowest calorie product available in whatever I'm looking for so I can have more. For example, La Banderita Carb Counter tortilla shells are 45 cals w/5grams of protein and 11 grams of fiber and 15 carbs for the medium size. The Egglife plain wraps have 25 cals 5protein no fiber but also no carbs so I tend to use what ever works best for my meal plan that day.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    Thanks for your kind words. The important thing is to focus on what works for you. People will say you have to exercise a certain amount or until you sweat etc. which is all wrong if it doesn't work for you. I haven't done any exercise till I sweated but I have been diligent in doing water exercise 3 times a week. I have also tried to sit a little less each day and stay busy. Some will say you shouldn't use any artificial sweeteners, I use a lot and also use products made with them, they cause absolutely no cravings for me but if they do for you then avoid them. Others will say you shouldn't eat after a certain time of day, again it's wrong if it doesn't work for you. I have eaten a serving of Dannon fit and Light Greek yogurt every night as I'm laying in bed reading before I go to sleep since March 2021, sometimes I'll have extra calories and even eat something else, lol. I look for the lowest calorie product available in whatever I'm looking for so I can have more. For example, La Banderita Carb Counter tortilla shells are 45 cals w/5grams of protein and 11 grams of fiber and 15 carbs for the medium size. The Egglife plain wraps have 25 cals 5protein no fiber but also no carbs so I tend to use what ever works best for my meal plan that day.

QF(freakin')T.

• maggiequilt
    maggiequilt Posts: 1 Member
    Angela,

There is a lot of good advice in the posts that I skimmed. But for me, it takes more than the scientific knowledge about calories and exercise.
    Don't get me wrong, healthy eating and healthy exercise absolutely necessary, but as a compulsive overeater, I needed to change my non-food behaviors/thinking/attitudes that drew me to use food to solve the difficulties of life. I found what I needed in Overeaters Anonymous. Since the Pandemic, there are many more online meetings. If you like, I'd be happy to share the ones that I attend.
    oa.org
  • roscoesmama1029
    roscoesmama1029 Posts: 14 Member
    Welcome! I just restarted this week. To get to my ideal weight, I would need to lose 150 lbs. For me, that weight would be nearly impossible for me to maintain. I picked a reasonable goal weight that would be easier to maintain. Once I maintain that weight for about a year, I will reassess my goals to see if I want to lose more.

With regard to carbs, I wouldn’t stress about fruit. I’m a Type 1 diabetic and I don’t stress about fruits and veggies, especially since I pair them with protein. For now, I am just trying to stay within my daily calorie requirements.
  • jwhitephoto
    jwhitephoto Posts: 6 Member
    Intermittent fasting and a low-carb/keto diet will get you there quicker than any other method. Start slowly by stretching your breakfast time closer and closer to lunch and then cut out breakfast completely until you have at least a 16-hour slot between meals. More is better. Then when you are fairly used to it, try to work in one or two OMAD days (one meal a day) into your week. That's when the magic happens. The keto diet (50 grams or less of carbs a day) plus IF will force your body into fat-burning mode (ketosis). This combo also gets insulin and blood sugar levels way down and gives your body time to recover. If you are insulin resistant or Type 2 Diabetic you can literally stop it in its tracks and recover from it.
    It's not for the faint of heart and it takes a lot of commitment but the results are nothing short of miraculous. Good luck with whatever path you choose.
  • jwhitephoto
    jwhitephoto Posts: 6 Member
    Just for the record, currently, I weigh 148 pounds at 5'10" ( I had been at 190 previously, and have 14% body fat. More importantly, I went from a 36 to a 30-inch waist, because the OMAD fasting targeted that stubborn visceral body fat (VAT) that is so hard to lose. Using a combination of a low-carb high protein/fat diet, walking 10k-15k steps a day, and weight training twice a week, I was able to accomplish my big goal inside two months, which is why I am so sold (at least for me) on this type of training plan. I had a DXA scan on August 22 and another on October 21 of this year. In that time I lost 12.5 pounds of fat and gained 1.5 pounds of lean muscle--what the DXA scan dude said was miraculous at my age of 71 years.