Counting fruits (calorie and sugar)?

Options
So today I ate an apple, nectarine and peach and those total to like 200 calories out of my daily 1430. At the end of the day, those 200 calories can definitely count and I was just wondering that because these are "healthy" foods, do you count them in your daily calorie allotment?
Another thing is how do you count their sugar content. I know that it is natural sugar so it's not the same as processed sugar but I am wondering how intensely I should keep an eye out on the sugar content of fruits.

Advice? xD

Thanks for answering what is probably a serious n00b question!

Replies

• zoodalia
    Options
    I always count whatever I eat, because it's still calories whatever one eats. However, one banana can take you over your daily sugar goal, it's madness, I don't worry about sugar I've gained from fruit (although some people may say they do).
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I count them yes. They're calories.

As for the sugar, I have insulin resistance so I am only supposed to eat a max. of 2 pieces (handfuls) of fruit, because whether it's chocolate or fruit, it'll make my blood sugar spike, and goodness it is hard to stick to just two pieces. Fruit used to be my go-to snack when I was trying to lose weight.

I still go over my (MFP) sugar allowance every day just with the fruit and dairy I eat, though, so I don't take it too seriously. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect someone to stay under when just 2 pieces of fruit and a yogurt put you over.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You need to count everything. All foods and all drinks.
  • emtgirl14
    emtgirl14 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Log EVERYTHING you eat!! It's the best way to stay consistent. Otherwise it could create a habit of not logging certain foods. Anyways... yes, the calories in fruit DO count. And so does the sugar. If you search "nectarine" you will get lots of choices. There's so many out there, it can be hard to choose. I usually pick whichever one I see multiples of, with the same calories, sugar content, etc.

I eat a lot of fruit too, which puts me way over my sugar, but it is better sugar than processed, so I don't worry about it as much!

Hope that helps:)
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    calories are calories, yes healthier choices of those calories are also important. but i count everything into my daily allotment. same with sugar. the only sugar i eat right now does come from fruit, but fruit is nature's dessert, and still should be consumed in moderation. i eat 1-2 pieces a day :D
  • cownancy
    Options
    According to my nutritionists and doctor, you count them just like any other food. Healthy vs non-healthy food is counted the same way. Sugars from fruit still count as sugar. That's why I am only permitted two fruits per day and the preferred fruit is the apple and the banana is to be reserved for once in a while.

Good luck to you!
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I definitely track them (I track EVERYTHING haha), I just wasn't sure if I should be taking fruit as seriously as I was but apparently I am right on track in how I am handling them!

Thanks again!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I definitely track them (I track EVERYTHING haha), I just wasn't sure if I should be taking fruit as seriously as I was but apparently I am right on track in how I am handling them!

Thanks again!

Yeppers m'friend. . log everything that enters your lips. . . As far as the sugars from fruit being reflected in your diary there is a huge difference between natural sugars and refined sugars. . .and how the body metabolises them. . . Unless your a diabetic then it is a whole different ball game. .. Fruits are also a good source of fiber which helps to cleanse your system. .. I once went on a three day fruit cleanse. . gosh it felt so good. . . Good luck with your weight loss progress.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You need to count everything. It doesn't matter how healthy something is, it still has calories. Fruits are high in sugar, but it helps that it is natural sugar. MFP helps you to keep an eye when you log your food.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i put them in as you can still eat too much fruit. However look at lower cal fruits, berries often really good and aples etc, experiment with what is lowest. However if you went over 100 calories for eating a banana and everyelse i don't think going to have much impact better than having a hamburger or choc cake.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Natural sugar is still sugar, and you should count all of it. Same with calories, a calorie is a calorie (for the most part, haha). No exceptions for fruit :-)
  • mondeflottant
    mondeflottant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Even if fruit are better for your health than candies or other processed food, you need to count them.
    I have a good friend, who eat very counsciously but last summer he gained 3 pounds.
    Why ? He was drinking too much homemade orange juice, 4 sometimes 6 oranges a day. He was trying to get Vitamin C to feel better... he realized later it was madness.
    So, my advise is to count every thing you eat. Because, we all have those preconceived ideas that makes us do wrong things when we are thinking we're doing good.