Back to the Future

Crochetluvr
Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
edited November 2022 in Getting Started
I remember what brought me to MFP the first time back in 2012. I tried on a bathing suit I had bought the year before because the one I bought a year earlier didn't fit....and the newer one no longer fit! I broke down in tears. It was at that moment that I realized I had to do something. I found MFP and I lost 50 pounds and was SO proud of myself.

Two years later my partner died....and everything fell apart. And over the years I gained back 25 of the 50 pounds I lost. Three days ago I looked at myself in the mirror and wanted to throw up. I knew I had to stop...I was a type 2 diabetic and taking all kinds of meds and insulin. It had to stop.

So yesterday I came back to MFP to begin again....to stop the insanity and get my health back on track before the meds don't work anymore.

I already see a difference in my blood sugar. Where before it would spike up over 200 or more, it's staying under 120 after meals.

I am craving....can't deny it. But I am determined. I know the first week is the worst....cutting out a lot of carbs you go through a withdrawal. I remember how it was the first time so I knew what to expect. I won't be able to exercise to the extent I did 10 years ago...at least not right away. But I will get there. I have an exercise bike and a small trampoline.

No more excuses....I can do this! And I will support anyone who needs it!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,090 Member
    Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear about the difficult time you've had. I know it's hard, but don't beat yourself up too much for regaining part of the lost weight. The past is the past, focus on the future, a future which looks a lot brighter already judging by the improvement you've seen already.
    Keep up the good work!
  • Crochetluvr
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Welcome back: I think I remember your user name and profile photo from before. (I've been here for a while, too. ;) ).

Congratulations on taking the reins back in hand, after going through such a disruptive series of life events. It's wonderful that you're seeing positive results already (like your blood sugar). There will be many more victories ahead!

As far as exercise . . . we all need to start from wherever we find ourselves. What matters is the steps we take from that starting line, right?

I'm cheering for you!

Thank you, Ann! I am still getting used to the changes in MFP from the last time I was here and I lost this thread or I would have responded sooner. I am here for the long haul. I am SO looking forward to being lighter again. Thank you for the response and the cheers!
  • Crochetluvr
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear about the difficult time you've had. I know it's hard, but don't beat yourself up too much for regaining part of the lost weight. The past is the past, focus on the future, a future which looks a lot brighter already judging by the improvement you've seen already.
    Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your response. I am still trying to get the hang of the newer MFP so I don't lose track of the threads I have contributed to again. So sorry I took so long to reply to you.

Its funny....I tried a couple of other times to lose the weight but THIS time I feel much more confident. I know I chose a bad time of year to do this but I know I can still enjoy the holiday and not go crazy. I did it before....I can do it again!

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,090 Member
    In case you haven't found this yet: tap on your profile pic (top right corner) and then on My Discussions to see all the threads you started :smile:

And if you tap on the little bell icon (top right corner as well) you'll see all the threads you have notifications for. You can tap on the little icon with three sliders to go to your notification settings.

PS: a little quirk: when you're actually online browsing the boards, your notifications will pop up at the bottom of the screen and not show a red number in the top right hand corner (MFP deems the notifications has been viewed).

Anyway, for the weight loss, I'm glad you feel more confident this time round. Sometimes it takes a while before we're really ready (mentally) to lose the weight!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    I’m not as “old” as these guys, but I’m touched by your story and overjoyed to see another crochet lover.

I just told a friend on my feed, how many doilies can one person make? I dunno, but I guess I’ll find out.

BTW, I call thread crochet my Old Man Magnet. If I pull it out at a train station or airport, they all come sit down by me and reminisce. I tell my husband I’m going to go all black widow on him and them one of these days and wind up with alllll the money, lol.

Best of success to you here!
  • Crochetluvr
    I’m not as “old” as these guys, but I’m touched by your story and overjoyed to see another crochet lover.

I just told a friend on my feed, how many doilies can one person make? I dunno, but I guess I’ll find out.

BTW, I call thread crochet my Old Man Magnet. If I pull it out at a train station or airport, they all come sit down by me and reminisce. I tell my husband I’m going to go all black widow on him and them one of these days and wind up with alllll the money, lol.

Best of success to you here!

Hi! And thanks for responding!

OMG.....TOO FUNNY! I have never had any men come up to me while I was crocheting in public. A woman occasionally but no men. Guess I need to start hanging out in train stations more...:LOL!

I am currently crocheting a winter hat for my daughter. I have already made her 2 of these same hats before but it's her favorite hat so I am making another one in another color. I have already lost the pattern twice and she had to buy me the magazine it was in twice....then I found one of the magazines! I my memory is garbage now.

Thanks again for replying and hope to hear from you again sometime!