1 year - an angry rant

Options
It's been just short of a year from when I started my journey to health. I couldn't walk to hang my washing and I realised something needed to be done. Urgently. I joined a CrossFit class and got stronger. I joined pilates and toned my core. Hell, I even joined karate, which I had always wanted to join.
I got fitter but didn't lose weight. I went off all sugar. NADA. Went off carbs. Tried intermittent fasting. Mediterranean diet. Calorie counting. Trauma and sleep therapy. Gallbladder cleanses.I tried anything and everything. It has been a year and I am even heavier. As I type this I am in bed with sore knees from another workout session. I have PCOS. I realized this would be hard but seriously wtf. I cannot feel this way. I cannot continue nor can I give up. I am stuck and I am sad. I should be on an "after" photo right now with all the lifestyle changes I made, but alas. All the exercise and healthy eating seems to be for nothing. Everyone makes it look so easy. Oh JUST do this or that. You'll lose quickly. Nopes. Apparently not me.....
I will not go the pharmaceutical route. I need a solution, not a band aid. I need advice. Where to from here. I weigh 98 kgs, 1.68m tall, female, 39 years of age. Bring it.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're having difficulty. Most of us watch our calorie intake first and foremost. Exercise is good for your health, but you can't count heavily on it for weight loss.

Calorie counting. Did you use a digital food scale? How long did you try it?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    It's all about calories.

The PCOS may make it a bit harder, but there is still a calorie level that will allow you to lose weight. It just may be a bit lower than other women your size who don't have PCOS - but it can be done.

Like the previous posts have said, it's about an honest reliable number that you have to find yourself. Don't give up. Talk honestly with your endocrinologist and gyn and maybe ask for a referral to a Dietician.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    CICO is all that matters. PCOS apparently makes things a little harder though. It may be assumed that IF should help you lose weight, but that assumes you aren't over-eating beyond your TDEE during the feeding window, which is certainly possible.

Perhaps you've already done this, but there's no mention in your original post that you have diligently tracked all calories for a period of time, say six weeks or so. Including all treats, cheat meals, liquids, weighed portions if necessary, etc.

On the positive side, you've probably lost some fat and built some muscle with all that training.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    If you weigh more now that before all of your interventions, I'd say you need professional help. Obviously, you know that eating too many calories increases weight, so you know you shouldn't do that. There's many new clinics opening that deal with lifestyle especially for people that are overweight, obese, have PCOS, diabetes etc, maybe look into that.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Others have made great points, but I specifically wanted to address the PCOS. Hormone problems can typically cause a metabolism shift around 10%. If your TDEE is predicted to be 1700 and you have PCOS, your TDEE might actually be around 1530. That means if you were setting a weekly weight loss goal of .5 lbs a week, which requires a 250 cal/day deficit, and basing it off of the 1700, you’d actually be eating less than 100 calories under your TDEE because you have PCOS. That’s a really slim margin and VERY easy to miscalculate.

I have a very short friend with PCOS, and she has to work with a dietician to lose weight because for her to eat at a deficit she needs to eat less than 1000 calories a day, something that DEFINITELY shouldn’t be attempted without doctor supervision.

All this to say that it IS possible to lose weight, but there are obstacles that can make it very challenging a as well.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The OP hasn't logged in since Dec 6th.
  • PinboardGoose
    PinboardGoose Posts: 8 Member
    Options

So? That was only yesterday? Give people a chance.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

So? That was only yesterday? Give people a chance.

In @snowflake954 ’s defense, she’s many, many time zones away and has a full plate. I’m guessing she got her days mixed up.

She’s a very thoughtful and informative poster.

It can be very discouraging to pour a chunk of time into a response and then realize an OP was only in the site for a day and those of us who try o encourage and offer advice can get hypersensitive to it. I know we’re both pulling for everyone to join us on the “lighter side”, and it breaks my heart to see people give up quickly.

Although that’s obvs not what our OP has done here.

I think she just got her dates mixed up.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You state you need advice. My advice is read @AnnPT77's post above. Maybe even print it out and put it somewhere you can review it often. It's gold.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    LOL
    At the pizza. That’s exactly what we do. We order a large salad (no dressing) as an appetizer to fill us up before the pizza arrives.

It’s those darn Parmesan pretzels, though. They are little calorie bombs but soooooo good. So we just get half an order and try to take half of that home to reheat with the other half of the pizza for lunch the next day.

And we do our pizza about 3 or 4 in the afternoon, so it can be both lunch and dinner.