why does the guy get to decide???

Options

Replies

• cocoder
    cocoder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    He doesn't get to decide...he does get to have an opinion. How the woman responds depends on the dynamics of the relationship and how much that opinion matters to her. His word is only "law" if she lets it be.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that's terrible. Will he not love you if you're too heavy as well? Maybe we should start adding "for fat or for thin" to our wedding vows?!

My suggestion would be to try taking the numbers out of it. Don't tell him where you're at as far as your weight and see how it goes. Maybe you'll get down to your goal weight and he'll still be happy because he doesn't realize that your goal weight is less than that "ideal number" he has in his head. As long as you're at a healthy weight, it might not even be an issue. It could just be that he has an idea in his head that your goal weight sounds too low? Not sure, just speculating. I would have to imagine your husband would want the best for your health, and being at a healthy weight is so much better for your heart and especially your joints - could you sell it to him that way? If not, just smack him up side the head and tell him if he doesn't love you the way you are, someone else will!

Seriously though, I hope you get through this. **hugs**
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My wife never told me that I could decide...
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    If you're hearing that, then you're with the wrong man, period.

It is not his decision... love is not about looks or weight... tell him to shut up or get out.

Oh but love is about looks. Deny it all you want, but looks is an important factor in beginning the process of falling in love.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The moral of the thread:

Men, if you agree a woman needs to lose weight, you are a jerk and she should leave you. But if you tell her she's fine the way she is, you are a jerk and she should leave you.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Because he has an opinion, that is why!!! But it is just that. Take it for what it is and talk to him. He sounds like he would love you at the lesser weight just like he does now, but us men have to walk a thin line with our ladies because we don't want to hurt your feelings. Would you feel good if he told you that you are a fat *kitten* who needs to lose the weight. I think not. Now he is saying you are fine as you are and you are not happy with that. Talk to the guy and let him know where you are coming from, and come to a happy medium.

A man is entitled to be happy in the relationship too, and if that means you having to lose 10#s instead of 20, think about him. It may also be his insecurities, but that is where you have to walk a thin line to not hurt his feelings. Or you can just leave the *kitten* selfish son of a blowhard now...
  • laurad1406
    Options
    The moral of the thread:

Men, if you agree a woman needs to lose weight, you are a jerk and she should leave you. But if you tell her she's fine the way she is, you are a jerk and she should leave you.

:laugh: so true, no wonder they think we're all crazy!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think husbands of significant others walk a very fine line of being supportive without seeming pushy. I think that concern about losing too much, or enough weight is best left to girlfriends. My husband would never tell me to stop losing or that he preferred me to be heavier or lighter ( because he values his life) but I work at a gym and my boss is also one of my closest friends, and she is the one who checks me on my weight and makes sure my goals are realistic, and I do the same for her.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

It is not his decision... love is not about looks or weight... tell him to shut up or get out.

Oh but love is about looks. Deny it all you want, but looks is an important factor in beginning the process of falling in love.

Looks make up about 90% of the beginnings of most relationships. That's why many of us struggle to try to lose weight. That's the "reward" for it.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I disagree and find this very judgemental. Many wives ask for their husband's opinion and a man should be applauded if he's being honest. If he's demanding or getting angry at your weight management, okay, to that I see a problem, but I wouldn't kick a spouse to the curb because of their preferences, that's just stupid.

Perhaps a good approach is "I'd like to try weighing X, mind if I give it a try?" More than likely a person would be honored to be asked or as least give up and say "alright, go ahead". Who knows, the experiment may produce a better result. For me, I grew a gotee without permission. My wife said she didn't like it. After a few months I shaved it off and she said, "maybe you should grow the gotee back"
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    Options
    i don't think you're over reacting.my fiance is the same, he's also verrryy controlling!! even at 120lbs at 5'3, he said i was a fat *kitten* n' said i have to lose 20lbs. thats because i wear baggy clothes &they tend to make you look 10lbs bigger.i even showed him a pic of me where i lifted up a pink shirt up to my ribs [which i downloaded on my profile] and he was like 'ew, its still fat.' and my ex told me i was disgustingly thin [was 100lbs when i was with him, which is my main pic now]. soooo, some guys r *kitten* :] so, if he tells you that, u dont deserve him.i would've left my fiance if i wasn't in love with him :]
  • Aegelis
    Options
    i don't think you're over reacting.my fiance is the same, he's also verrryy controlling!! even at 120lbs at 5'3, he said i was a fat *kitten* n' said i have to lose 20lbs. thats because i wear baggy clothes &they tend to make you look 10lbs bigger.i even showed him a pic of me where i lifted up a pink shirt up to my ribs [which i downloaded on my profile] and he was like 'ew, its still fat.' and my ex told me i was disgustingly thin [was 100lbs when i was with him, which is my main pic now]. soooo, some guys r *kitten* :] so, if he tells you that, u dont deserve him.i would've left my fiance if i wasn't in love with him :]

I agree I wouldn't let opinion override good judgement. If you know that you know, then surely stand firm and defend it. There is a difference also between being controlling and giving an opinion. Sometimes my opinions are misinterpreted as demands even though I use the words, "I think...", "maybe...", "...just my opinion", but I demand nothing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

What you're describing is a far cry from what the OP described.
  • Aegelis
    Options

I agree this is at the other end of the extreme spectrum.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    He doesn't get to decide...he does get to have an opinion. How the woman responds depends on the dynamics of the relationship and how much that opinion matters to her. His word is only "law" if she lets it be.

Word! :smile:
  • laurad1406
    Options

I keep trying to think of how to reply to this in a PC way, and am finding it very difficult. Please, Please, Please, leave your fiance. You're 18, I promise you you will find someone who actually respects you and isn't controlling.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The guy only gets to decide if the woman lets him decide. My husband has been telling me I didn't need to lose weight since before I started. He still says it. But I don't think he's being controling or mean, he's just stating his opinion. He thought I looked good then. But he thinks I look good now too. He still compliments and I see the looks.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

Sounds to me like you are with a douche bag and you have no self esteem. Looking at your profile, it makes me genuinely sad that you are so mistreated by this person, who you seem to put a lot of value in.

Best wishes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I keep trying to think of how to reply to this in a PC way, and am finding it very difficult. Please, Please, Please, leave your fiance. You're 18, I promise you you will find someone who actually respects you and isn't controlling.

Yes, absolutely. I don't care what your weight is, if your fiance uses the term "fat *kitten*" to describe you, you would be wise to thank God for the sign and leave that A-hole. This is not a man who loves you.
  • ThinspiredButterfly
    Options
    i was just telling about my experience to let her know shes not the only one, even though my story is opposite from hers.

I agree this is at the other end of the extreme spectrum.