Type 2 Becomes Type 1 and Weight Gain. (Input needed)

Options
Hi All,
I've been dealing with a good bit of health issues lately and want some input of the latest hurdle. First a little background. I became a Type 2 Diabetic about 10 years ago and was able to manage it with diet and metformin. My (then) Dr said "If you would lose about 100lbs this will reverse itself and now is the time and its urgent you do so. So I did.. I joined MFP, went all in and About 2 years later I had lost the 100lbs prescribed... Let me just say "Dr's Lie" (In my opinion) The T2 never went away, I was on meds ever since, even adding Glyburide to the Metformin to keep it in check. Fast forward to 4 weeks ago, I had gotten lazy, and more or less gave up trying to manage the sugar levels. I ended up in the hospital with a 600+ Blood Sugar, Loss of vision (About 50%) and totally broken. (Hang tight there's a positive end). I'm home and recovering very well, Vision returned, and sugar is Back to a manageable level (120-145 daily) but it required a major change and issue. The doctor has said "in english terms" you are now a type 1 as your Pancreas has gone into retirement, and you are now on shots. Ok.... So now I am on Lantus AND Fast acting insulin to keep it all in check. And I'm ok with it. I feel so much better again.
Here's what I am NOT ok with.... I'm gaining weight.. Not just a pound or two here and there, but I'm up a total of 9 lbs since the hospital visit 4 weeks ago, and I am up 28 lbs since my goal was reached.

I've done some reading, and it "seems" while the insulin(s) remove sugar from the blood cells, the sugar "Attaches" itself to body fat thus causing the weight increase. GEEZE!! If this is true it seems I can't win..... My Diet is cleaner than it ever was. The Dr gave me the parameters of Carb reduction to "less than 50 per snack and less than 100 per meal" Look at my diary. (It's open) I haven't exceeded this in 4 weeks. Really not even close except for 2-3 occasions. I'm open to thoughts on how to get the weight under control and back down. Thanks in advance! Lee

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Just for clarity, is that 50 and 100 grams of carbs your Dr. prescribes per snack and meal, or 50 and 100 calories per snack and meal? I suggest a lifestyle clinic where they specialize in people with similar struggles.

And no, sugar doesn't attach to body fat causing weight gain and that's more than likely just a misinterpretation of the science, which even Doctors get wrong, excess calories do that and ultimately, you're going to need to be in a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight.
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Carbs….
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I'd be looking for a new doctor. Type 2 diabetes can't turn into Type 1 diabetes. That's a myth. They are two separate conditions with distinct causes and can't transform into the other one over time. It's possible that you were initially misdiagnosed with Type 2 when you were actually Type 1. Type 1 is thought to be an autoimmune reaction where your immune system is attacking and destroying the insulin-producing cells in your pancreas. You cannot make your own insulin. Type 2 is brought about by lifestyle and can lead to your body not making enough insulin or producing insulin that doesn't work properly. A Type 1 diabetic is insulin depend for life. A Type 2 diabetic can get it under control via diet, exercise, and medication. Type 1 has no cure. Type 2 can be put into remission.

Yeah, poor description from the Doctor. A C-peptide test will see the state of the pancreas and its insulin production or lack thereof. Insulin injections for type 2 diabetics should be a wake up call. Cheers.
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Wynterbourne If type 2 can't "turn into" type 1, and the C-Peptide and blood work comes back and says the pancreas is not producing anymore What would you call that? I mean not to be argumentative, but it seems we are picking nits. I have to follow the same treatment as a type 1 and didn't used to have to.
    Just asking. BTW, was just tested for Type 1.5 yesterday (LADA) and awaiting the results.
  • sandraws
    sandraws Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It might be time to see an endocrinologist to help you understand and deal with your health issues. It doesn't seem like you are getting the best medical advice at this point.
  • sandraws
    sandraws Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had wanted to include this article (perhaps you've already seen it) regrading weight gain and insulin
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325328#insulin-and-diabetes
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @Wynterbourne If type 2 can't "turn into" type 1, and the C-Peptide and blood work comes back and says the pancreas is not producing anymore What would you call that? I mean not to be argumentative, but it seems we are picking nits. I have to follow the same treatment as a type 1 and didn't used to have to.
    Just asking. BTW, was just tested for Type 1.5 yesterday (LADA) and awaiting the results.

I'm sorry you are having health issues, but my statement was not my opinion, it was 100% scientifically based, medically undisputed fact. I don't know where this "doctor" got his medical degree, but if he actually told you that you had T2 diabetes and now it has become T1 diabetes, he needs to have his medical license revoked. It can NOT happen. Do your research. Look at respected medical sources, peer-reviewed articles, etc. It's medically impossible. Again, it's possible that T1 was originally misdiagnosed as T2. Type 1.5 is a subtype of T1 and has nothing to do with T2. I've even seen articles discussing the fact that people with LADA are frequently misdiagnosed with T2. I'm willing to bet money that is what happened. You've always been T1, but we're misdiagnosed. Respectfully, get a new doctor, or at least get a second opinion.

• autobahn66
    autobahn66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you are having health issues, but my statement was not my opinion, it was 100% scientifically based, medically undisputed fact. I don't know where this "doctor" got his medical degree, but if he actually told you that you had T2 diabetes and now it has become T1 diabetes, he needs to have his medical license revoked. It can NOT happen. Do your research. Look at respected medical sources, peer-reviewed articles, etc. It's medically impossible. Again, it's possible that T1 was originally misdiagnosed as T2. Type 1.5 is a subtype of T1 and has nothing to do with T2. I've even seen articles discussing the fact that people with LADA are frequently misdiagnosed with T2. I'm willing to bet money that is what happened. You've always been T1, but we're misdiagnosed. Respectfully, get a new doctor, or at least get a second opinion.

You're not wrong here, but you're missing the point of what the doctor said.

There is a very fundamental way in which type II diabetes with pancreatic insufficiency is like type I diabetes: without insulin the patient will become extremely unwell, possibly quite quickly.

Furthermore, the clinical presentation of HHS indicates that the fundamental pathology is the same (i.e. pancreatic failure). The only differentiation then is the mechanism (autoimmune vs the milieux of issues that cause this in type II). Diabetes is complex: how do we describe people with MODY? The diabetes UK website doesn't class LADA as type 1 or type 2 but merely states that it straddles both diseases.

The doctor's role here is not necessarily to explain the exact underlying pathophysiology of diabetes with perfect accuracy. It is to explain the significance of what has just happened, and what that means for the patient and the options for how to manage this going forward. Using convenient or generally understood language that is scientifically inexact is appropriate if it adds to the OPs understanding of how to actually avoid ending up in hospital from their diabetes.