German Cake Help!

Options
I was given some homemade German cake. I was told that one was Marzipan but I do not know what the other one is. They look very much alike but the other just has the raisins in it and not the larger pieces of marzipan. I would like to have a piece but I don't know the calorie intake. Could someone tell me what the other one is so I can look it up for my calories?

Thank you!

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Have a little piece. Portion control is everything, even in a rich cake. I am familiar with German cooking, but your description is too skimpy to estimate.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Stollen :) Icing sugar on top, marzipan through the middle?
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    Agree w/moushtie. Can you post a pic?
  • AmDurling
    Options
    Yes they both have icing sugar on top but only one has the marzipan in the middle. I do believe it is stollen but the couple that gave it to me said two different names.

Thank you for your help!
  • AmDurling
    Options
    I am at work and not able to get a pic to post.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I agree, sounds like stollen.

mmmmm stollen.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Stollen is a good guess. Google Christstollen to see a pic of what it looks like. Is that it?
    If not, a pic would help. Your description is pretty vague and we have lots of different cakes here.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    oh boy, now I want cake! mmmm, good luck!
  • grassette
    Options
    Stollen is a bread, not a cake. And it has to have more than raisins in it. Citron, for example, is essential.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Stollen is a bread, not a cake. And it has to have more than raisins in it. Citron, for example, is essential.

^ Nope.
    It's definitely cake.

"A Stollen is a loaf-shaped cake containing dried fruit, and covered with sugar, powdered sugar or icing sugar. The cake is usually made with chopped candied fruit and/or dried fruit, nuts and spices. Stollen is a traditional German cake, usually eaten during the Christmas season, when called Weihnachtsstollen or Christstollen. A similar cake, found in Dutch cuisine, is called a Kerststol in Dutch, while in Italian cuisine the panettone also shows a likeness."

edit: I live in Germany, and have done a lot of cake "research" :blushing:
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options

let a German lady tell ya..its cake and not bread!:drinker:
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    2741.jpg
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    OMG I love stollen! I like it warm with butter. :love:
  • nosugarcoating
    Options

let a German lady tell ya..its cake and not bread!:drinker:

Yep, another German who votes cake. And also yummy!
  • LaNocksi
    Options
    Yes I love Stollen (and of course its a cake) But who eats it now? Its not even November...
    Okay I already saw chocolatesantas in the stors but come on its not Christmas yet ;D
  • grassette
    Options
    My Sudeten German stollen is made with yeast, cooked in a loaf pan, and dusted with icing sugar. That makes it a bread. And yes, we have it at Christmas. For breakfast for the 12 days of Christmas.

Maybe other German regions make theirs with baking powder?
  • nosugarcoating
    Options
    That would make everything made with Hefeteig (yeast dough) bread but you can also bake cakes, pizza, etc. with it. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hefeteig
  • kathas0trophal
    kathas0trophal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    you can say it is a cake. But you eat it often in slices with butter and Salami. So I would say it is more a bread.( and I am from germany, too ;-))

I would say the one without Marzipan could be about 410kcal per 100g. That would have mine if I bake one.
  • nosugarcoating
    Options
    Salami? Eww, no offense but that sounds gross to me. I've never seen it eaten like that! Must be a regional thing.