Can you eat active calories???

Options
Hello,

This may be a really stupid question and I fear it is!
I’m on a weight loss journey at the moment. I am currently eating 1450 calories at day (which has been set by MFP)
If I burn say 800 active calories (taken from Apple Watch), technically could I eat an extra 800 kcal and lose weight???

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes. MFP is set up to have you eat your exercise calories. However, be careful of your exercise burn. Many times the calories given are inflated, so many eat back half--your example, 800 cal would be eat back 400. Try it for a few weeks. If you lose too fast (NOT a good idea) you can eat more back until you find your "sweet spot".
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, just getting that out there but I would think it depends on whether your apple watch can tell the difference between exercise or just living your life. Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT) basically accounts for the calories burned from daily activity that isn't expressed exercise which I suspect is already accounted for in MFP, so if it's not actual exercise I would say no don't compensate and consume more. NEAT btw can have quite the variation person to person and can account for 1500 to 2000 calories easily depending on how you describe your life in general terms, so accounting for the correct amount of calories for an individual is a bit of a guessing game, so there is that which needs to be fine tuned over the course.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    If your activity level is set to sedentary (because you sit in front of a computer or TV most of the day) then most of those active calories would be from actual exercise. If your activity level is more active, then some of those would be because of daily movement related to your job or home life, not exercise. You don't want to double count the calories. In that case I would enter exercises as I did them, not just taking the total activity number for the day. In both cases, the number could be inflated or it could be appropriate for you. The only way to know for sure is to fine tune based on the results.

FWIW - my Garmin active calories number is usually pretty close to the number I get from entering exercise as I do it (walking, running, bike, etc.) I actually burn more than either number, based on 10 years of logging results, but that just means I get a bit more leeway for inaccurate or incomplete food entries.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Yes, when you use the guided set up in MFP --- it uses the information you give it to calculate your maintenance calories and then if you choose that you want to lose weight, the calorie goal it gives you is already at a deficit from your maintenance.

You are *supposed* to eat back intentional exercise calories when using MFP. You will still be in a deficit.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I actually turn off all tracking devices while I'm working out so I can more accurately calculate the calories I've burned.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    Ugh.
    There is the general idea.
    There are the particulars.

The general idea is that you need a reasonable deficit in order to lose weight in a reasonable way. What's reasonable not too dangerous, not too hard, not too easy, sustainable. A way that teaches you lessons you can take into maintenance and that allows you to setup for that maintenance instead of setting up for a weight rebound.

That "reasonable" deficit is defined on MFP as -250 to -1000 Cal a day. I prefer to define it as 20 to 25% of your actual total daily energy expenditure. Because reasons.

MFP adds up your daily calories as "non exercise daily living" and "deliberate exercise". Added they define your total calories burned. Your deficit stays constant. And has been calculated off your declared activity level. Ergo you ARE supposed to eat back your true deliberate exercise calories that come in above that declared level.

Of course Apple uses different math to calculate the total and the MFP apple integration was (is it still?) broken to the point that people were losing calories the more they exercised!!!🤬

At a guess most of the active calories can and should be eaten.

But that's a guess.

You need to dig in deep into your apple stats and find the combined total daily energy expenditure value your watch has come up with combining the calories you burn being alive plus all of your activities and exercise. Doesn't matter how you burned them.... they got burned!

Deduct from that amount the deficit you want to achieve (-500 (boo) or -20% (yeah!!!))... and get to eating that much but not more.

You don't win by suffering. You don't win by overdoing. You win by consistently and over time eating just enough less than you burn so that your weight heads in the direction you want it to.

Exercise values on MFP may be half or three quarters or entirely fictitious and so can the ones on your watch.

But if you consistently log and adjust based on multi week averages you will be able to dial in your numbers.

Again apple active is NOT the same as MFP exercise. And MFP non exercise doesn't correspond exactly to a single apple value. The common denominator (and only thing that matters in the end) is the total calories expended vs eaten
  • shanusa12
    shanusa12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this but my Apple Watch is linked to my MFP and MFP then gives me some exercise calories back to eat. It doesn't give them all though. If for example I walk 5km and Apple says I burnt 300 active calories (430 total calories) then MFP gives me something like 130 calories added back to my daily calorie goal.

I have no idea how it's worked out but so far I'm just following along to see what will happen and what works and so far so good.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: no, do not, I repeat, DO NOT eat your “active calories”.
    Why? Every time I did it, I failed to see progress. When I started to stick to my daily caloric intake regardless of how many calories I supposedly burned, I began to see results very quickly.
    I’m starting to think it’s some sort of scam.
    Whatever the case may be, it is extremely off. Your body adapts so quickly to what you demand of it that there is absolutely no way the simple “active calculator” can keep up with what your body is doing.
    Anyways, keep it simple, eat what you set out to eat.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten all my exercise calories. I lost weight (55 lbs.) and have maintained that loss for several years. I use MFPs exercise numbers and although they may be inflated, they work for me. I seem to burn hotter than usual for someone my age. As stated above, try eating back some or all of your exercise calories. If you lose as expected, great. If you aren't losing, then eat back fewer calories. Both calories in and calories out are estimates. It is hard to be exact on either. Adjusting as needed will help give you the results you are looking for.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    I estimate my exercise calories carefully, and eat all of them. After a trial period when I dialed in my actual calorie needs based on my individual data, I've lost weight entirely as expected . . . on average, over a period of multiple weeks. I lost 50+ pounds, have maintained a healthy weight for 7 years since, just that way.

My exercise is seasonal, weather-dependent in season, but represents a fair fraction of my TDEE. I'd be an idiot not to fuel that - especially in maintenance - IMO. I'd underperform: Dumb.

A calculator - MFP or a fitness tracker or any other - just gives you a starting point. Follow that estimate for 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual cycles for women of applicable age, to compare body weight at the same relative point in at least two monthly cycles), then adjust goals based on personal experience. That can work.

Most people are close to estimates: MFP's, a fitness tracker's, or a TDEE calculator's. A few people are noticeably off, a little high or low. A very rare few people are dramatically off those estimates. That's just the nature of statistical estimates.

Your personal results data in the initial 4 to 6 weeks or whole menstrual cycles - that'll tell your story. Collect that data, then use it.

For me, MFP and my fitness tracker are dramatically far off - like 25-30% off! When I figured that out, I adjusted my goals . . . and lost weight very predictably when averaged over multiple weeks. (Gotta average to reflect water weight fluctuation weirdness).
    Why? Every time I did it, I failed to see progress. When I started to stick to my daily caloric intake regardless of how many calories I supposedly burned, I began to see results very quickly.
    Whatever the case may be, it is extremely off. Your body adapts so quickly to what you demand of it that there is absolutely no way the simple “active calculator” can keep up with what your body is doing.

I disagree with this.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,587 Member
    Options
    You keep giving that terrible advice.

If your actual TDEE is well off from the MFP estimates including workout calories you add, that's something you can track and adjust for yourself over time. All TDEE calculators are based on population averages, not you specifically, and workout calories are estimates too.

The bottom line is, if you eat and drink at 500 calories below TDEE then also do a workout which burns an additional 500 calories, then if you don't eat back any of those calories you will be at a much larger deficit than you expected, which may be dangerous if your TDEE is low enough. That is why that advice you keep posting is not only wrong but also potentially dangerous.

Perhaps you were in the habit of over-estimating your workout calories which led to you not seeing the results you hoped for. Again, easily solved. Personally, I enter relatively conservative estimates for my workout calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hello,

This may be a really stupid question and I fear it is!
    I’m on a weight loss journey at the moment. I am currently eating 1450 calories at day (which has been set by MFP)
    If I burn say 800 active calories (taken from Apple Watch), technically could I eat an extra 800 kcal and lose weight???

I wouldn't take them directly from your Apple Watch as this likely includes "staying alive" calories and not just exercise calories.
    shanusa12 wrote: »
    I'm fairly new to this but my Apple Watch is linked to my MFP and MFP then gives me some exercise calories back to eat. It doesn't give them all though. If for example I walk 5km and Apple says I burnt 300 active calories (430 total calories) then MFP gives me something like 130 calories added back to my daily calorie goal.

I have no idea how it's worked out but so far I'm just following along to see what will happen and what works and so far so good.

Thanks for providing the example!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    recently i have been working out hard (for me) but not eating my exercise calories. i felt truly awful, almost like i was ill - i was weak and not thinking clearly.

eating at least half my exercise calories leads me to function and feel better, which also means i can work out better and make better decisions.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry as I know this is a serious question, but every time I see the title of this thread I giggle thinking of calories running around on little legs, and me trying to catch them to eat them 🤣

Maybe I just need a holiday 🤔
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    tb0yxwr49w7y.png
    58x0y639pnmv.png

AT MIDNIGHT and only at, or after, midnight, IF integration is working correctly between Apple and MFP, the number you get on your apple watch for total calories (red circle on watch) should be equal to the "your daily goal" number (red circle on web page screen clip) AFTER YOU account for your selected deficit.

So if you selected a deficit of 500Cal, the example daily goal of 1520 plus 500 would bring you up to 2020 Cal. The apple watch daily calories at midnight should equal 2020 and not the 1041 shown in the screen shot above. --please note that I don't have an apple watch the screen shot is from the web.

If they don't match (once you've accounted for your selected deficit), then integration was NOT working properly and MFP did not faithfully adjust based on your actual watch data. To my knowledge MFP adjusts correctly for Fitbit and Garmin and (last I knew) did NOT adjust correctly for apple.

If integration was actually working properly, then your remaining calories (green circle) is what you can/would have been able to eat while still achieving your selected deficit. In the screen shot above you would have gone over your goals by a little bit in terms of the total calories you took in.

The above assumes that the population estimates used by all these tools are meaningful in your case (as they are for most). But this can only be established by consistent logging over sufficient time while monitoring your weight trend. Which is likely to require a few weeks of logging consistency and weight trend data.