Newbie here finding menopause a huge block to losing weight....

49 year old chronic pain and spinal issues here and menopause is making it TOUGH to keep weight off. I've yo-yo dieted my way to a 50 pound weight gain in 3 years and it isn't helping my pain levels. I'm managing the hot flashes with black cohosh, but the weight is so much more stubborn! Where have you found victory in this area if you've been through it??? Exercise is limited to less than a mile of walking 3 times per week...

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    It's really a boring answer:

I got a calorie goal from MFP, followed it long enough to get several weeks of experiential data, then adjusted my calorie goal based on my own personal results data, and used that approach moving forward. I followed the MFP method of having a base calorie goal, then estimating exercise carefully and adding those calories to my eating when I exercised.

Initially, I spent some time daily or near to it reviewing my food diary, looking for things that had relatively many calories, but didn't feel worth it to me in terms of satiation, tastiness, nutrition, and that sort of thing. Those were things I could reduce or eliminate pretty painlessly, and replace with foods I enjoy and find practical, but that better help me reach my goals.

I didn't significantly change my exercise routine: I was already active, had been for a very long time while staying overweight/class 1 obese. I didn't significantly change the range of foods I ate: Mostly, it was a matter of changing portion sizes, proportions on the plate, and frequencies of some calorie-dense foods. I didn't put any food off limits, but I'm sure some dropped to frequency of zero because they weren't that important to me.

Generally, all I did was better manage my calorie intake. Weight loss followed, for me.

At the time, I was 59-60, menopausal (since my mid-40s, menopause triggered by chemotherapy for cancer), hypothyroid (properly medicated), with some nagging but not truly disabling physical issues (torn meniscus, osteopenia, osteoarthritis, etc.). I'm 67 now, maintaining weight in a healthy range since that loss, pretty much the same way. What's changed is that I have less pain/discomfort from the physical issues at my lighter weight (upper 120s pounds at 5'5" lately), and my formerly high blood pressure and cholesterol are now solidly normal.

Honestly, it was simpler than I expected, but of course not psychologically easy at every moment. What matters IMO is routine habits: What I do the majority of days determines the majority of my outcomes, IME. Rare days off normal routine are a drop in the ocean, in terms of impact.

This may not be the right approach for everyone - I don't think there is One True Way that will work universally - but your question was "Where have you found victory in this area if you've been through it???". That's what worked for me, so far.

I'm cheering for you to find what works for you - I'm sure other people here will suggest other approaches that have worked for them, for you to consider.
  • Draygunfli
    Draygunfli Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you! What a helpful answer- your experience means a lot. Consistency and fine-tuning take much dedication and you are inspiring!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Draygunfli wrote: »
    49 year old chronic pain and spinal issues here and menopause is making it TOUGH to keep weight off. I've yo-yo dieted my way to a 50 pound weight gain in 3 years and it isn't helping my pain levels. I'm managing the hot flashes with black cohosh, but the weight is so much more stubborn! Where have you found victory in this area if you've been through it??? Exercise is limited to less than a mile of walking 3 times per week...

I'm almost 56 and encourage you to not fall into the trap of thinking menopause is to blame for weight gain. More accurately, women (and men) tend to be less active as they age, which mean they need less calories, but often do not adjust for that.

In your case, I imagine you are also less active due to your pain and spinal issues.

You could work with a physical therapist to find ways to be more active despite your limitations and hopefully improve your conditions as well. I've been dealing/dealt with plantar, achilles, knee, hip, lower back, wrist and elbow issues, and PT helped with all but the knee and wrist. I could probably do something for the wrist as well, but the facility is 45 minutes away so for now I am choosing to just avoid the types of activities that aggravate it.

That's the CO part of the weight equation of Calorie In, Calories Out. Ann addresses the CI part above.

For more from Ann see: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1