Running My First Half Marathon and I need some tips

Options
Okay so on Nov. 5th I will be running my first half marathon, and I am more than nervous. I am nervous because I just realized I have 6 weeks till this, and my running times suck. I know I can walk it at any point that I like but I feel like if I do that I am only shorting myself. So I was wondering if anyone had some tips on training as i get closer to my date of doom. Some motivation or something like that would be AWESOME!!

Also Eating tips the day of , the day before? Will interval training help too? I hate running long distances, I need something different than just a constant pace. I've been so focused on doing my Turbo Fire and Chalean Extreme that I just completely forgot and time caught up with me..

I am so unprepared! Who feels like a nerd?! meeee!

Replies

• MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some tips for you...but I don't. I run my first half on November 13th, and I'm nervous as well. The most I've run so far is 7 miles. I need to up my mileage a bit. I have heard don't do anything out of the "norm" for you either the day before or on race day. Do as you always do as far as what your preparations are for eating and such. Good luck!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first half in a long time this month. (my profile pic is right after the half) I would tell you to focus on finishing and don't worry about how fast. On your long runs, try and work in water stations, because it is really hard to keep going when you are depleted. Make sure you taper the week before the race, so your legs are ready to go. Day of, I would eat something small with some carbs and protein (I like toast with peanut butter), but nothing too heavy. Remember to have fun!!!

Good luck to you!!:flowerforyou:
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by your times while training. For your first half marathon I suggest just making it to the finish line. :)

Are you following a training plan now?
    If so, just keep on with your training plan as best you can. If it calls for speed work/interval training, do that. It doesn't hurt but with just 6 weeks until race day you may not find your speed/time making a huge jump. However, I Have noticed over the last several months that speed/interval training has definitely helped.

And don't look at it as "dooms day," rather look at it as a huge accomplishment! Have fun and enjoy it. That was the absolute best advice I got in the spring before my first half. And I was right where you are.. nervous and feeling discouraged! I made it though and it was an amazing experience. I guess I got the bug though because I registered to run my 2nd half marathon (coming up in 10 days!).

As far as eating before the race...
    eat a normal day before. Don't eat anything new that may cause tummy issues. Eat something light a couple of hours before the race to give your stomach time to adjust and go to the bathroom if need be. Make sure you have proper fuel for during the race, if you need it. Feel free to message me with any questions. I am not a "pro" but I have been there, done that!

Best of luck!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your time. At all.

The night before mine, I "carbo" loaded on fruits and sweet potatoes. No pasta for me.

3 days before, I started loading on my electrolytes. I got dissolvable tablets and drank those twice a day. I also drank twice as much as normal, and was up 2 pounds of water the day of the race. Staying hydrated and keeping my levels balanced really, really helped.

Avoid the gu packs or anything like that. Those actually dehydrate you, and they taste like crap. Energy jelly beans are yummy. I didn't notice a difference but I DID get hungry while I was out with mine.

Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You should join the wonderful folk on this thread!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332590-half-marathon-training-support-group

There's a great training programme here that incorporates mid-week intervals and tempo runs that should stave off the boredom Just jump in at the right number of weeks to go:
    http://royalparkshalf.com/files/files/uploads/RPFHM_16-Week_Beginner_Half_Marathon Programme 2011.pdf

Nothing wrong at all with taking walk breaks. In fact if you take them regularly and often from the beginning, say a minute every mile, you'll finish stringer and have more in the tank.

I do run 2, walk 1 on every run over an hour and often go further and faster than running slowly all the way.
  • melholden10
    Options
    hey

keep a positive attitude is the best and don't worry bout training times i automatically improve my pace by a min per mile when i do a race then when i train do shorter faster runs in the week and your long run at a weekend or find an internet training plan that suits you keep the long run slow and steady so that you get the miles in without getting too tired. keep the week - week and half before nice and chilled and the day before get plenty of carbs and keep really hydrated aswell important day before aswell as race day I drink sports drinks the day before as well as when i run to carbohydrate(completly made up word but my aim is to increase glycogen stores as well as be hydrated) - not an expert but this is what works for me and done quite a few races and pretty up on my physiology!
    ultimatly enjoy it the sense of acheivement when you finish is amazing
  • melholden10
    Options
    Also just realised how appalling my lack of puctuation is in my previous post! sorry! Hope you can understand it.
  • kck21886
    Options
    Also just realised how appalling my lack of puctuation is in my previous post! sorry! Hope you can understand it.

I totally understood it! LOL thank you for the advice!!
  • kck21886
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by your times while training. For your first half marathon I suggest just making it to the finish line. :)

Are you following a training plan now?
    If so, just keep on with your training plan as best you can. If it calls for speed work/interval training, do that. It doesn't hurt but with just 6 weeks until race day you may not find your speed/time making a huge jump. However, I Have noticed over the last several months that speed/interval training has definitely helped.

And don't look at it as "dooms day," rather look at it as a huge accomplishment! Have fun and enjoy it. That was the absolute best advice I got in the spring before my first half. And I was right where you are.. nervous and feeling discouraged! I made it though and it was an amazing experience. I guess I got the bug though because I registered to run my 2nd half marathon (coming up in 10 days!).

As far as eating before the race...
    eat a normal day before. Don't eat anything new that may cause tummy issues. Eat something light a couple of hours before the race to give your stomach time to adjust and go to the bathroom if need be. Make sure you have proper fuel for during the race, if you need it. Feel free to message me with any questions. I am not a "pro" but I have been there, done that!

Best of luck!

I was on a training plan about a month ago , then I kind of slowed down on running. I got super busy. I was talking to a friend and then I realized we only had 6 weeks till the 1/2 so I better get on it. I feel like such a nerd for that! I appreciate any and all the advice you just gave me! Its definitly going to help out a lot! My boyfriends sister started off just doing one 1/2 marathon and now she has done several, she definitly has the "bug". She ran a full marathon in 2:38, and his younger sister ran a 1/2 in 1:30. I am so impressed by all of them. Plus they are trying to get me to run the Stockholm Marathon next year...HAHA