Stronglift 5x5

Options
Hi All,

I am doing the 5x5 workout, with a bit of an adjustment. Due to time constraints, I can't do the typical Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Most of the time I need to do 2 days in a row to fit all the workouts in a week.

The problem is I struggle with squats on the second day if I need to do them 2 days in a row. Any suggestions here?

As I said I use a bit of an adjustment to the 5x5. Have accessory exercises. I also periodize my workout to mix the full 5x5 and then add some periods of lighter weight with increased reps.

Full cycle is 15 weeks. Biggest stumbling block is doing back to back squats

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Doing back to back squats doesn't really allow for enough recovery time, especially as the weights get heavier. Personally I found squatting 3 x weekly was a problem when I was training for longer runs too.

If you consider that someone doing a push/pull/legs type of split would be squatting 2 x weekly if they were training 6 days a week you'll probably find that 2 x weekly is sufficient for good strength gains and allowing adequate recovery.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,114 Member
    Options
    Squats on consecutive days can be done, but usually the second day is with far lighter weights done for reps. Doing heavy sets of 5, 24 hours after the last heavy sets of 5, will definitely be counterproductive. You mention you can't do M-W-F, but didn't specify if you can do a regular routine each week, say M-T-F. Or is it some weeks M-T-F, the next week M-W-Thus, changing again the next week?

If each week is a different available schedule, then I'd suggest not doing 5x5 three times in the week, rather 5x5 twice and the third day dedicate to accessory lifts. If you know in advance you have a week where you can follow the M-W-F schedule, that week only do 5x5 three times.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Pure strength? Or mostly aesthetics?
    I know when I did 5x5 in the past, I could not recover quick enough between workouts. And the whole 1 gallon of milk a day is horse *kitten* too.
    As a matter of fact, now I’m completely against “the big 3” unless your purely training for power lifting purposes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well - nothing like killing a good recovery from the 1st squat by doing that 2nd squat day after!
    Do your damage - it's the repair and recovery that makes you stronger and grows muscle.
    You appear to be trying to kill that.
    Stop it.

If you can't do the routine as given - don't attempt the routine. Change it. Do what will actually be useful.
    Now back to nossmf great advice.
  • JackRussl
    JackRussl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great stuff, thanks for the advice.

Very difficult to have a regular routine every week, sometimes I do manage it

Will definitely then look to do accessories rather than 2 consecutive days of heavy squats.

I want to go pure strength, and it makes complete sense to rather recover that do 2 heavy days